Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCain & Gordon Liddy Connection?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yes probably more so since he was a contemporary of Liddy and worked with him, unlike Obama and Ayers where there were several decades between terrorist activity and co-operation. But it won't change anything, Obama shouldn't campaign on it because it will just be more of the same, more descending to mudslinging and at this stage in the campaign will turn off potential voters imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

David Letterman hosted John McCain last night (Thursday, 16 October), and commented that if Obama was guilty by association with Ayers the former Weatherman, then was McCain guilty by association with conservative radical G. Gordon Liddy, a convicted criminal of Watergate, and the scandal that forced former Republican President Richard M. Nixon to resign?

So how did McCain respond? I never watch those late night shows.

Except for the Late Late Toy Show, I always watched that one. Until Gaybo left, at least.

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

So how did McCain respond? I never watch those late night shows.
    I guess it depends when you ask McCain?

Last night on Letterman:
    "McCain admitted he knows Liddy but that Liddy had paid his debt to society for his crimes, adding that he was 'not embarrassed to know Liddy' or his son."

Last November (2007), McCain went on his radio show. Liddy greeted him as "an old friend," and McCain sounded like one. "I'm proud of you, I'm proud of your family," he gushed. "It's always a pleasure for me to come on your program, Gordon, and congratulations on your continued success and adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great."

This is the same Liddy that said on his radio talk show:

In 1994, after the disastrous federal raid on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco, Texas, he gave some advice to his listeners: "Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests. ..."

Sources: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-oped0504chapmanmay04,0,6238795.column

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2008/10/republican-pres.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

awyers paid for crimes too didn't he did jail time? both said they'd wish they done more

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

awyers paid for crimes too didn't he did jail time? both said they'd wish they done more
    Ayers was never convicted of a crime in the United States. He is now a distinguished professor of education at the University of Illinois-Chicago. Does anyone see the irony of this?

Source: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/02/obamas_weatherman_connection.html

• Advertisement

I wonder why everyone gets so excited about trying to pair Ayes with Obama, while few get just excited about pairing Liddy with McCain? When Letterman asked McCain, he was completely surprised and sputtered, not giving an answer, but fortunately for him, the producer decided to go to station break at that moment (and bought him time to formulate an answer). The videos of this sputtering more than likely cut out the commercial break, making it appear as if he went to his answer?

From what I've read, Liddy is every bit as bad as Ayers, both publicly advocating violence against the nation, but for different reasons. Perhaps Liddy is worse, because Liddy was convicted and sent to prison, while Ayers was never convicted (for some unexplained reason)? In any case, why are we not hearing as much of the Liddy-McCain connection, as with the Ayers-Obama connection? Are the Democrats mud slinging less than the Republicans, in terms of character assassinations?

Advertisement