Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric problem

Options
  • 17-10-2008 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

hello all, i have a little store room upstairs in my house and as im a plumber i plumbed it up so i could put my washing machine and dryer into it as to make space in my kitchen the problem is i cant have both the washing machine and dryer on at the same time as it trips out my house,my da wired the sockets into the room for me as the was a 3amp spur already in the room so he just took the feed for the sockets off that.

does anyone here know why its triping out my house when using both of them and if there is a way around it?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How many amps is your MCB? It could be pulling to much current. Also give e ratings of the two appliances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

thanks for the reply davton, ye the e rating for the washing machine is an A energy rating and the dryer is a B energy rating they are both zanussi and im sorry but i dont have a clue what a MCB is ?

its just in my old house i could have both running at the same time with no problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

markos79 wrote: »
    the problem is i cant have both the washing machine and dryer on at the same time as it trips out my house,my da wired the sockets into the room for me as the was a 3amp spur already in the room so he just took the feed for the sockets off that.

Well if he wired your washing machine and dishwasher into a 3amp spur that's your first problem.

This shouldn't be tripping out your whole house unless there's an earth fault or a dodgey fuse or MCB so you have at least one other problem. If your dad isn't an electrician I'd recommend you get someone in that knows what they're looking at as you need some troubleshooting done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

markos79 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply davton, ye the e rating for the washing machine is an A energy rating and the dryer is a B energy rating they are both zanussi and im sorry but i dont have a clue what a MCB is ?

its just in my old house i could have both running at the same time with no problems.

A Mcb is a miniature circuit breaker, a trip switch at your fuse panel. the ratings i was referring about were kilowatt ratings, the amount of power they use rather than the efficiency of them.
    Well if he wired your washing machine and dishwasher into a 3amp spur that's your first problem.

Its the mains side of the spur, cant imagine it was the outgoing side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

why its triping out my house
    I would guess that you are not loosing all electrical power in the house. Just one socket circuit is being lost? An MCB (breaker or trip switch) goes off when this happens and you switch it back on. Please confirm.
    3amp spur
    The sockets are fed from the supply side of the spur as davton said. A machine dryer or washing machine alone would blow a 3A fuse. (1kW is 5A approx)

It would seem that the load of both machines on the same socket circuit is simply too large a load for just one circuit.

Solution: You need another socket circuit for this room so that you can have one applience on each circuit.
    If your dad isn't an electrician I'd recommend you get someone in that knows what they're looking at as you need some troubleshooting done.
    I would agree with Mr Magnolia here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement