Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music History Question - please help!

Options
  • 17-10-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, My sister is doing a an assignment for uni which requires information on:
    “Haydn‘s String Quartet Op. 33 No. 2, 4th movement (The Joke)”.

She is doing a review on this and is struggling to find any websites or books with information on it :confused:. Can anyone please help me here. All advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Has she tried checking out her university's library for a copy of the Grove Encyclopedia of Music? I did music in UCD, and it was my favourite reference text as it usually gave references to other books to check out, some of which were also in the library.

There would be a reference to Haydn at the very least, though I have found that some pieces also had their own references.

There's quite a good bit about it on Wikipedia, and again a list of references at the bottom to also look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sidzo2000

She has tried the library, not UCD and it wasn't very helpful. She was advised not to use wikipedia but its a good idea to check out the references. Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

I'm sure that movement is in the Norton Anthology of Western Music, though I could be wrong. That's a fairly standard music reference book that should be easy to get hold of in a library. Even in music libraries, most librarians sadly have very little knowledge of how to find things like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

First of all is this for music in NUIM?
    A few 1st years i know there have to do this.
    If so tell her to try Jstor through the NUIM Library proxy, they might have at least a small section on the music.
    If she accesses it on campus she wont have to enter the proxy.
    Just log onto the library website and then go to databases and ebooks.
    http://library.nuim.ie/resources/databases_index.shtml

Then search Jstor or The Grove dictionary of music it should have entries in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

*cough*

Of course, it's not a great reference, but it's always a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Norton Anthology all the way, especially for that movement. There's an indepth look at it.

Actually.....I'm going with Norrdeath here, and guessing your sister goes to Maynooth?

Oh wow....I'm replying to this very late. In fact I'd say the assignment is well finished by now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Jeez Sean, spell my name wrong why don't ye!
    I should have thought about the Norton, we looked at it last year!
    Ag Damhsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Norton Anthology all the way, especially for that movement. There's an indepth look at it.

Actually.....I'm going with Norrdeath here, and guessing your sister goes to Maynooth?

Oh wow....I'm replying to this very late. In fact I'd say the assignment is well finished by now! :)

I think it's pretty much the standard text.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

You know I had totally forgotten about the old Norton Anthology! Despite that fact that my copy is sitting in the other room and I have the two accompanying score books on the shelf right in front of me. Clearly a brain fart moment.

Advertisement