Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel

• 17-10-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'm travelling a lot more with work these days. Sometimes to the kind of place that it's very difficult to get nice coffee (wtf nescafé everywhere!). So I was thinking I should just take some with me.

The plan:
    Bodum travel french press / mug (tbh, I don't really rate this device, but it's a shed load better than nowt, and compact).
    Beans: Either bring enough with me, or buy some there
    Grinding: Not quite so sure. Hand grinder? If so which one? Should I just shut up and put up with pre-ground coffee in a supermarket in whatever country I go to?
    Hot water: Not expecting any issues there.

Are there any decent, small, cheap hand grinders? I've seen a lot on ebay but it's hard to know if they're crap or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Well I took the grinder and the aeropress away with me this year and was totally sorted. Can you afford the space in your bag for both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Get an Aeropress, it's perfect for traveling and what I use when away.
    If it's only a short trip for a couple of nights I'd either pick up one of the
    better supermarket brands or grind some of my own beans into an airtight
    container and bring that. I'd also try to source some freshly ground at a
    cafe when away for a bit of variety.

I also picked up one of the plastic Bodum french press and mug 'all in
    one' devices and the build quality was muck - cheap plastic. If you want
    French press style coffee when away one of these might be better:

8546Double_French_Press_Chrome_large.jpg
    http://coffeecavern.goodbarry.com/_product_15986/Double_Shot_Travel_Cafetiere_-_Chrome

I haven't forgotten about giving you the aeropress for a trial Khannie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks lads. Will reply in the morning. Knackered.

LOL. G'night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I bought a Zassenhaus hand grinder from ebay.de - still waiting on delivery. I wanted it so I could make french press in work. We have an Insomnia in work, but I haven't had a coffee from them in months - it's muck. I rarely have the time in the morning to make a coffee so my first coffee is often at about 6pm when I get home.

This of course means I can now have a mug of coffee 10 minutes before going to bed and still sleep as my body has become adjusted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320260111984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

RE*AC*TOR, let us know how that grinder turns out. As a poor student that fella looks within my reach and since i mainly drink stuff from a french press i'm not all that bothered about how fine the grind is.

Well I took the grinder and the aeropress away with me this year and was totally sorted. Can you afford the space in your bag for both?

Almost certainly. :) Hadn't really thought of the aeropress as an option tbh. I take it it was a whirly grinder you took with you?
    I'd also try to source some freshly ground at a cafe when away for a bit of variety.

Nice idea.
    If you want French press style coffee when away one of these might be better

That looks savage, cheers. Depending on how I get on with the aeropress, I may invest in one of them.
    I haven't forgotten about giving you the aeropress for a trial Khannie :)

Sweet. Thanks. :) No panic at all. I'm away to Morocco next week with work, so I think I'll just take my 2 cup french press and whirly with me for that.

Re*ac*tor: Please do let us know how you get on with that grinder.

Khannie wrote: »
    Almost certainly. :) Hadn't really thought of the aeropress as an option tbh. I take it it was a whirly grinder you took with you?

T'was the MC2 actually :o

I'll try the aeropress with the whirly and see how it performs while you're away.

Travel plans have been pushed back. More or less decided that for this trip I'll take some beans, whirly and normal 2 cup cafetiere.

Weirdly....I had a hankering for porridge on my last trip. It's funny what being away from home does to you.

• Advertisement

Weirdly....I had a hankering for porridge on my last trip. It's funny what being away from home does to you.

Makes you go completely loony apparently :pac:

Hankering for something other than coffee... How weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

There's a breakfast idea. Porridge with a double shot of espresso... :D

(well it works with ice-cream)

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Makes you go completely loony apparently :pac:

Hahaha. :D

I think porridge is....ok. As a hunger stopper though, it is unrivalled (IMO).
    Dero wrote: »
    There's a breakfast idea. Porridge with a double shot of espresso... :D

(well it works with ice-cream)

Weirdly I never have coffee with breakfast when I'm eating porridge; before, with, or after. It just seems wrong.

/me waits for the inevitable "you know which part is wrong" comments :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

porridge and coffee is almost guaranteed to clear out the drains imo..

I'm afraid the whirry grind is too coarse for the aeropress Khannie.

The Zassenhaus arrived yesterday, initial impressions are that the grind range seems to be too fine for french press. Looks ideal for espresso though.

It's a fairly simple bit of kit though, so I reckon it'll be easy enough to adjust.

Will report back more when I have some time for a play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    The Zassenhaus arrived yesterday, initial impressions are that the grind range seems to be too fine for french press. Looks ideal for espresso though.

It's a fairly simple bit of kit though, so I reckon it'll be easy enough to adjust.

Will report back more when I have some time for a play.

How's she cuttin?

I may have to return it - seems to be a problem with it.

porridge and coffee is almost guaranteed to clear out the drains imo..

:D Nearly spat my coffee out.
    I'm afraid the whirry grind is too coarse for the aeropress Khannie.

Fair enoughski. Looks like I'll stick with the french press. Trip keeps getting postponed. I'll be glad of the sunshine when it actually happens. :)

I should add that I've moved the mazzer to a french press type grind and have been using that for the last few days instead of the whirly. It is shockingly better than the whirly. Shockingly!

It is shockingly better than the whirly. Shockingly!

I don't doubt this even slightly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement