Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hebe Heartbreaker

Options
  • 17-10-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im looking for some advice on the beautiful shrub Hebe Heartbreaker that I planted early June and I noticed at the begining of September that all
    its leaves have gone...its fully bare now with no sign of growth whatsoever. I planted two in different places, I watered regulary in dry spells. Its planted in a semi-shaded location. I've no idea what happened. There are Roses planted near it. I found this year that many of my shrubs etc did not thrive I suppose mainly because of lack of sunshine I guess. Any ideas what I should do? I'm going to leave it where it is until late Spring to see if anything happens. I'm so disapointed as I needed a bit of colour in the garden for Winter and they also cost €15 each!!

Also another question like above I'm looking to put some colour into my garden for Winter season - apart from the usual green shrubs can anyone recommend anything? something that wouldn't grow too high or wide and perhaps flowers in Summer(doesn't have too). I have some lovely coloured grasses and heather that I sowed in Sept and they seem to be thriving. Looking for something different. Kinda rusty/winey colours etc. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi Sillybird,

we use H-Heartbreaker extensively and rarely have any problems. It would seem yours are most likely dead. Hebes prefer sheltered and well drained sites but otherwise are generally hardy although some varieties are prone to some pest/diseases. I suspect this year was also too wet for many plants (incl Hebes).

There is also a newer more vivid but otherwise similar colouring characterisics alternativeto H-H and that is H-Frozen Flame.

Other low growing alternatives:

Leucothe Red Lips, Pieris japonica Katsura, both of these prefer acid soil conditions but are absolutely very impressive with regular leaf colour change.

You might also consider: Abelia Kaleidoscope, Coprosma several varieties to choose from, and Fascicularia bicolor.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Thanks so much for your help I realy appreciate. :D

There are very interesting shrubs you have mentioned there some I have never heard of. Do you think it would be a good idea to sow now? Or should I wait till the Spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Oct-Jan is a particularly good time to plant new shrubs. Mix plenty of grit and compost into soil to ensure if damp conditions persist, it doesn't become too cloggy, which would undermind the new plants root development during the initial critical stage.

Advertisement