Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd Hand Prices

Options
  • 17-10-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just after getting a shock when I visited some car sales websites. I have a 2007 A3 sport that cost me €39000, most expensive 2007 A3 I could find was €28000. I was hoping my car might be worth somewhere between 30k and 33k but seems I'll have to go alot lower.

Is it the times we're in now or do cars normally depreciate this much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealers don't want 07 trade-ins as they are already swamped with their own stock that the cannot sell. A dealer is basing his trade-in price on how long he might be stuck with your car on his forecourt. At this stage he is probably allowing for it to be sitting there into the new so giving you the trade-in allowance of a 2 year old model.

Also no offence and I'm not knocking your car but when you payed €39k for an A3 you obviously added alot of expensive options. The thing is most of these things have very little monetory value come resale time unless you are talking about an executive car. Yes they make the car more attractive to a buyer but monetory wise they are not worth much of a premium. Also you have to look at the target market for your car. Very few people will be prepared pay upwards of €30k for what is now an almost 2 year old A3 especially in the current economic climate.

My advice would be to hold onto your car and get value from it and the options you paid for.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bazz26 wrote: »
    My advice would be to hold onto your car and get value from it and the options you paid for.
    I'll second this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

What engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just to depress you even more :)here's an interesting article from this weeks Irish Times motoring supplement. Also a guy from merlin car auctions was doing a bit of shameless pimping on Morning Ireland during the week (he'd never get away with it on boards!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

sorry OP but your car is currently worth about 23k, even then you'll struggle to sell it.

Keep it and enjoy it, the resale value is irrelevant unless you intending to sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'll second this advice.

I'll third it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 psmiley

There are some great bargains to be had. My bro just bought a micra and got 30% off the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Thanks for all the replies. No its not what I wanted to hear. Well the only really expensive extras I got on it was climate control, metallic paint and the s-line sports package. Its a 1.9TDI.

Just checked out the price list for a 2009 A3 1.9TDI and its around 30k:eek: Just have to wait and see what the dealers can offer me, I'm looking for an A5.

Unfortunately the vrt changes cut the price of an A3 1.9TDI by about 3500k, and between that, normal depreciation and the incredibly slow second hand market you would be looking at a price of about 23 or 24k. You would need to look at a price of 20k to shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Something similar to yours OP?
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A3/1.9-TDI/1140957/

And you're only going to be going downwards from that to be honest. Just don't get ratty or annoyed at a dealer if he/she doesn't give you the 30k your after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The 1.9 is much less desired than the newer 2.0 TDI, so that would also make it harder to trade in or sell.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest for an A3 to cost €39k new I automatically assumed it was the 2.0 TDi.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bazz26 wrote: »
    To be honest for an A3 to cost €39k new I automatically assumed it was the 2.0 TDi.:eek:

And a DSG quattro at that!!

Guys, the its an A3 sport. From what I can remember it was about 33k ex works. Then add roughly 2k for s-line/metallic/air con = 39k. So you see its not hard to see how it cost that much for a 1.9tdi.

I'm not really annoyed. Its a lovely car and looks really well.

Limerick man, that car is an attraction (basic).

This is mine:

p1000423ul2.th.jpgthpix.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the guys are right above on the pricing. I'm in a similar boat with my 06 A3. Your only real choices imo are stick with it and not change (changing after a year is never going to be financially good) or look to get an 08 used model which there are some deals out there on.

Although the A5 is very popular there have been a few hanging around carzone for a long while. The 1.8T is being replaced by 2.0T so their values may drop more.

You may be able to get an 08 for close to 40k by christmas or in Jan which will take the sting out of your drop in value. I'd say you will get offered low 20s for yours, probably 22 ish. You may find a dealer who has had interest in one though and will go a few more for it but unlikely. Also don't call it a 'sport', everyone will assume it is a UK import as we don't have that spec here. Looks like an ambition sline? Or is it an import?

No your right, its an ambition. Just cant understand why Audi just calls them standard/comfort/sport! Not that its going to make much difference but I wasn't going to be changing it until January for a '09 A5.

I'll probably keep the car, I aint gonna give it to somebody for that price. I still think its a really nice car.

Its a lesson though, these feckin extras don't hold value. I should be thinking more along the lines that the car is worth 33k when new.

Would have been nice to get the A5, I was looking at the 3.0tdi quattro:(

well the 3.0TDI quattros have been getting hammered on the second hand market, much worse than your car. You will get an 07 one for under 50, maybe that is an option?

Extras generally don't hold their value, but it is the vrt changes and the total drop in the second hand market that are the reasons for such a big drop in the value of your car rather than any particular model issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

Best advice i can give you or anyone here is keep your car and keep your money, and maybe going back to the old days, In the Matress, cant even trust the Banks these Days. Did you get finance on it?

cvisser wrote: »
    Did you get finance on it?

No. Talking to a guy today who bought a new Passat 1 and a half years ago. He went back to same dealer to trade it in for a new one. Dealer didn't want to know, same story, too many second hand cars. How do they expect to sell any new cars if they wont take a trade in?

I have yet to talk to my own dealer but it looks like I'll keep my own car for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

No. Talking to a guy today who bought a new Passat 1 and a half years ago. He went back to same dealer to trade it in for a new one. Dealer didn't want to know, same story, too many second hand cars. How do they expect to sell any new cars if they wont take a trade in?

I have yet to talk to my own dealer but it looks like I'll keep my own car for now.

Thats Good, No Finance, Thanks God. To be Honest alot of dealers will not be pushed in selling New cars next Year, They just want to sell there used stocks and get them down, Get Cash in to pay the Banks, Simply if they sell a new car, the have to buy it of the Distributor and the dealer takes the trade-in, the biggest winner is the Distributor as there not taken in the trade-in.

• Advertisement

Lol just got a quote from an Audi dealer for my car. €20k:eek::eek:

I remember getting that for a 2 year old '05 1.4 golf two years ago!

No way is somebody going to get my car for that price, I'd rather dig a hole and dump it. So I'm going to take the advice giving here and keep my car.

Thanks all.

Bingo!!

Maybe i should become a stealer dealer. ;)

Last week i said:
    Unfortunately the vrt changes cut the price of an A3 1.9TDI by about 3500k, and between that, normal depreciation and the incredibly slow second hand market you would be looking at a price of about 23 or 24k. You would need to look at a price of 20k to shift it.

in fairness everyone predicted a similar result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

in the local supermarket this eve, magazine section, I see CBG's used car price guide, and had a look at my car to see what it's worth.

New, 49k+, '06 33k. Yeah, right, I'm looking for 25k, and there's very little interest. Where in God's name are they getting their values ??

I wouldn't mind, but I'm interested in changing to a car no-one else does want -i.e. larger, older 3.0 car - petrol or diesel.

Looks to me like the industry is completely fubar'd..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Its so easy to import a car from the UK, you would be crazy to buy second hand here. I was f888ed at christmas as I had a crash, car was wrote off and I HAD to go on finance, the car I bought at Jan '08 (secondhand) in the end will cost me 17,906 eur (hire purchase price etc) They are now going on carzone for 7k and I feel sick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

I decided to keep my 06 car for another year or two due to the state of the used car market. Get some more value out of it.

Advertisement