Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Mining Lasers

Options
  • 17-10-2008 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I've just downloaded the trial of this game (for the second time) and I have a quick question. I've just bought a Bantam for next to nothing (it took about 15 minutes to jump there) and I've installed 2 mining lasers at the expense of a rail gun. I figure that I'm toast in a fight anyway. So will 2 mining lasers half the mining time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nope, but you mine twice as much \0/

Bantams a good mining frigate, mining lasers in the highs, decent cargo bay for a frigate, and a bonus to mining lasers. You wont really want guns - dont think npcs spawn in the 1.0 system belts anyhow [ confirm/deny?] Youll want to get into an Osprey asap if mining is the path you want to pursue - then its Mining Barge/Exhumers training!

But be warned young traveller, mining is both the least stressful and thus most boring activity in EVE. If youre going to do it, join a corp and join corp mining ops so at least you can get drunk and chat with people whilst youre all bored out of your minds mining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Sand wrote: »
    But be warned young traveller, mining is both the least stressful and thus most boring activity in EVE. If youre going to do it, join a corp and join corp mining ops so at least you can get drunk and chat with people whilst youre all bored out of your minds mining.

Sand has answered your question though so nothing I can add. :(

I've known people that have enjoyed mining. :pac: I've tried it but i'd rather rat than mine, and rather plex than rat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I thought that mining was the most lucrative profession out there - well, when you get the big ships, that is. Anyway, I'm happy to jack in the mining lasers and get on with e training missions. Unfortunately I've already got a blot on my book by failing to complete one of the training missions. Ah well!

I'll give it the 2 weeks and see if it's worth the cash. But I must say that the initial 19.99 is very expensive (especially when the Americans are getting it for $19.99).

Just another question.

I figure that going down the pirate route is the most fun. However, for this I guess I'll need to ditch the Bantam and build my way up to something that I can house some decent weapons. Do I have to buy weapon skills rather than just train in them? I ask because I would like to fit some non-railgun weapons but I can't as I'm don't have, for instance, LV 1 skill in small energy turret abilities and I can't find it in my list of trainable abilities. Do I have to buy the ability and then train up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Do I have to buy the ability and then train up on it?

Yes -

If the skill is NOT on your character sheet at all, then you need to go buy it. Be careful with your fitting choices - fitting lasers to an unbonused caldari ship would be bad. On the other hand, you dont have to fly Caldari. Buy Amarr Frigate skillbook, buy a Punisher, fit lasers to that and go pwn miners/ratting cruisers.

If the skill is on your character sheet at any level, then you can train it all the way to Level 5 [ in stages, it goes to 1, stops, you set training again, goes to 2, stops...etc etc]

Make sure you always have a skill training.
    I thought that mining was the most lucrative profession out there - well, when you get the big ships, that is. Anyway, I'm happy to jack in the mining lasers and get on with e training missions.

Level 4 missions are the most lucrative profession for starter players. They also tend to build off the same sort of ship tanking/weapons skills that help in PvP. Trading is also good apparently, but needs a freighter and some serious starting capital to make the margins significant.

Mining can be fairly lucrative i guess in 0.0 with a good logistic chain to get it back to Empire markets but macro miners in empire tend to crush casual competition. And theres idiots out there who think on the "I mined it, hence its free!" economics further undercutting prices.
    I figure that going down the pirate route is the most fun.

If you are planning to pirate, in a frigate, then you will need to pirate only in belts/planets as gates and stations have sentry guns and if you iniate aggression at those locations [ or go to them within 15 minutes of having aggressed someone or having been shot at by sentries] you will die in a great ball of fail.

Consider joining Factional Warfare - it allows you to engage hostiles in a frigate at gates [ as sentry guns wont shoot you for attacking the hostile FW groups], but obviously means you cant [ or shouldnt...] shoot your militia mates.

Also make sure you've got a decent overview setup [ the basic one if FAWKING terrible....] and learn how to use the directional scanner. Theres guides out there, google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

If you want to play Caldari use missiles, Amarr Lasers, Gallente Hybrid turrets, Mimitar Projectile turrets.

Being a noob myself and starting as Caldari... I wish I started as one of the other 3. Caldari ships + missiles bad for PvP imo. But if you just want to PvE then you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Make sure you join the "Irish" channel ingame. Will be able to ask questions and have the guys help out in there.

Check the links there to get joined up.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/mamolian/boards_irish_tutorial.png

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/mamolian/boards_irish_tutorial1.png

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/mamolian/boards_irish_tutorial2.png

Advertisement