Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

ac dc?!!!

• 18-10-2008 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

somebody tell me am i alone in thinking the world has gone mad in worshiping again this band ,formulaic rock, rejuggling a great song in various guises just loses it's appeal eventually .they had their time .move on!

love their image though!!

respectfully,

b.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Oh no! Formulaic rock! Shock horror and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Wait, wait, wait...I thought everyone has always loved Ac/Dc?! I thought it was just a given!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

bruno72 wrote: »
    they had their time

They still have their time. A great album doesn't go off like a stale bageutte, it's great for eternity.

Wrong forum btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ACDC - not alt/indie.

And yeah I wouldn't be surprised if some of their new "fans" were just being ironic in a Journey/Hasselhoff kinda way. I know they have many, many genuine fans too though - and nostalgia seekers, like my brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Absolutely love em.

The albums Let there be rock, Powerage, Highway to Hell, Back in Black are 4 in a row that I have never seen any other band get close to. The Stones offerings from Beggers Banquet to Exile are the nearest.

Bottom line is that AC/DC are original powerhouse blues rock. They are a one off and the amount of album sales (+300mil) only goes to show that their appeal is far reaching across the globe. Their unique brand of no nonsence hard rock surpasses all culture, age and language barriers.

Yes, they've been off the boil creatively since (arguably) the early 80's but who cares, they have the back catalogue to keep their army of fans happy and keep them buying concert tickets in their millions when they tour.

AC/DC are a phenomanon, and will be remembered for their contribution to music for hundreds of years after they've joined Bon Scott "downstairs"

Finally, Bon Scott RIP. Such a massive loss to the music world.
    Keep rockin AD/DC, no one does it like you !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

If it aint broke dont fix it. Innovation and originality is commendable in music but not always essential to have a great band, and AC/DC, imo, are a great band.

brother hammered them into me since i was 5.. now im 21, still love them, play every one of their songs on guitar and have tickets to see them.

bo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The DC have got some great masterpieces of rock and some howlers too, alot of good and alot of bad music. I'm sure the new album will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭goonersnroses

Like Angus has said some bands progress musically and keep progressing until they eventually progress right up there own a*se. AC/DC are the greatest rock band in history. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been listening to Black Ice for some time now and there are some absoluter crackers on it. Rock N Roll Train, War Machine, Spoilin' For A Fight, Rock N Roll Dream and Black Ice itself are damn fine tunes I'd be delighted to hear in a live set.

Sure, it's no Back In Black, but it could well be a Razor's Edge, and that was awesome. AC/DC still have that something in their music and their showmanship. Sure, they've been playing, as one critic put it, the same 3 chords for 30 years. But f*ck me, do they play those 3 chords well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Like Angus has said some bands progress musically and keep progressing until they eventually progress right up there own a*se.

Exactly. Why tamper with a winning formula? I would rather see them playing in the same style ad infinitum than trying to be 'progressive' and doing a rapper collaboration. Or getting emo haircuts! :eek: :p :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

ACDC just absolutely rule.
    Just absolutely totally rule.
    That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

somebody tell me am i alone in thinking the world has gone mad in worshiping again this band ,formulaic rock, rejuggling a great song in various guises just loses it's appeal eventually .they had their time .move on!
    love their image though!!

respectfully,

b.

sigh
    another "if it's not new, it's crap" post. I do acknowledge the "respectfully" in the OP's post though.

A 70's straight-ahead rock band sells out the O2 in 2 minutes and arenas all over the States & Europe too- they must've been doing something right!

If older people still want to go & see them, if younger people who never had the chance before but like the albums want to go too - where's the harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I find that their songs are either absolutely crap or absolutely classic, no middle ground (for me anyways...)

Powerage, I remeber i got this on tape as a present when I was a young fella, around the time of razors edge. I wasn't familiar with the old stuff, and was hoping for razors edge. However, Powerage is a flippin classic album. I have the tape somewhere, and have a copy of it on CD. Speaking of which, I must get an original CD copy of it and HWTH... \m/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 RabbleRouser

If ever there was a punk rock n' roll band, ac/dc were it. They're way better then other bands with a similar style - status quo for instance.

So you can slag them off, and yeah; they can be a bit air-thumping and beer swilling, but they're the first to admit it so they're you go.

Ah, Powerage, it's bloody brilliant. I don't know why it doesn't get the acclaim it should, it's right up there with Highway To Hell and Back In Black, I think. Gone Shootin' and Up To My Neck In You are two of my most treasured AC/DC songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Since their new album is being advertised ever two minutes it kinda hard to ignore them right now and it also seems hard to ignore they're playing the same song for at least ten years. Doesn't mean they weren't great but that was a long time ago now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

meglome wrote: »
    Since their new album is being advertised ever two minutes it kinda hard to ignore them right now and it also seems hard to ignore they're playing the same song for at least ten years. Doesn't mean they weren't great but that was a long time ago now.

Their last album was Stiff Upper Lip and that was bloody fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Absolutely love em.

The albums Let there be rock, Powerage, Highway to Hell, Back in Black are 4 in a row...

That's five in a row. Let There Be Rock anybody? It came just before Powerage I think.
    And honourable mention to Razors Edge, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip, For Those About To Rock. God damn, what a band.

Their last album was Stiff Upper Lip and that was bloody fantastic stuff.

Damn right. It really got back to the bluesy sound I originally fell in love with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

i might do a poll on their best album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

am i alone in thinking the world has gone mad in worshiping again this band
    Well, I wouldn't say that you are alone but you are probably in a minority :). They are one of those bands that most Rock/Metal fans like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Sarky wrote: »
    Ah, Powerage, it's bloody brilliant. I don't know why it doesn't get the acclaim it should, it's right up there with Highway To Hell and Back In Black, I think. Gone Shootin' and Up To My Neck In You are two of my most treasured AC/DC songs.

Damn right :) - not forgetting riff raff and kicked in the teeth - masterpiece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

Sandor wrote: »
    That's five in a row. Let There Be Rock anybody? It came just before Powerage I think.
    And honourable mention to Razors Edge, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip, For Those About To Rock. God damn, what a band.

I agree pretty much with this. Every Bon Scott era albums is worth a listen. As for the Brian Johnson ones, Back In Black is a must. For Those About To Rock, and Flick Of The Switch have some moments...after that the guys kind of lose their way...

It's not until the 90's do we hear (or did I hear) some decent AC/DC material again. In fact I’d go as far as saying that from The Razor's Edge, to Ballbreaker to Stiff Upper Lip the band's studio material has progressively got better and out of that mid to late 80's slump they were in creatively. I haven’t fully listened to Black Ice as of yet…

Sure they have a sound that hasn't changed much. If it's a sound you don't like, you never will like it. If you do like it chances are you've never looked back.

Well there was that one time when I bought Fly On The Wall...

But yeah, Every album has always had at least one song worth listening to. Usually many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

somebody tell me am i alone in thinking the world has gone mad in worshiping again this band ,formulaic rock

It might sounds "formulaic" to the modern ear, but remember they invented the formula.

I have dearly loved them now for 28 years and i always will.

The first band I was ever into, fave ac/dc song is Live Wire just for that raw husky vocal.

Bon Scott for me was the better singer but Brian Johnson does a fantastic job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Best. Band. Ever.

Favourite AcDc numbers of mine:
    Rock n Roll Damnation
    Down Payment Blues
    Jailbreak
    Shot Down in Flames
    Nervous Shakedown
    Whole Lotta Rosie
    Heatseeker
    Moneytalks
    Cover You in Oil