Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Behan Resigns

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Yeah I dind't know whether to make a thread about this.

It is in no way a publicity stunt. He said on 6.01 news and has said publicly that he does not agree with FF's new ethos and doesn't like the way they are leaning now.

There's a thread on it in Politics and a huge thread on politics.ie.

Joe's a really good, honest, decent man and I would in no way call it a publicity stunt. He explained on the news that he ha voted for things he didn't agree with and didn't like that. Hes standing up for what he believes in and fair play to him, it's not as if somebody higher up such as Dick Roche would have the balls to do that.

It's all spelled outin his resignation letter http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1017/behanj.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I know he's a Wicklow TD but this is really a thread for the Politics forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

foxy06 wrote: »
    Publicity stunt or decent politician......your views?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1017/budgethealth.html

he has virtually guarenteed his chances of topping the poll as an independant in whatever constituency he chooses to run in at the next election , i tottaly oppose what hes doing but whether its cynicism or wrongheadedness which is behind it , 99% of the public will support him on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

I do not think that this is a publicity stunt. Joe Behan seems to be a decent human being who has principles and morals. It gives me (some) renewed faith in a political system in which I have had no trust.

The current government is too long in power (you know what I mean!). They are totally removed from the reality that the rest of us live through everyday. Relating to the 1% Income Levy, Minister Lenihan talked about the need for us all to step up to the plate and make a sacrifice to get Ireland back on track on RTE1 radio today. He said a person making €10k was being asked to contribute ONLY €100. He was unable to understand that this might cause difficulty to the lower paid people in the country.

Minister Harney is the person who put forward the costcutting measure to means test the over 70s medical card. This is another person who is totally removed from the realities that her employers (the Irish citizens ) endure everyday.

It is time to fire these underperforming employees. I hope that there are more Joe Behans in the government who will have the inner strength to do the right thing for the people of Ireland and stop supporting the government.

The people of Ireland deserve an opportunity to elect a more "human" and understanding government in these difficult times. Yes, we all understand that the coffers are empty and some pain is necessary to keep our heads above water. But some parts of our society are unable to bear the punitive Lenihan budget and need to be protected. I feel the opposition parties would provide this balanced approach.

Heres hoping more Joe Behans make their mark during the coming weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

MonsieurD wrote: »
    The current government is too long in power (you know what I mean!). They are totally removed from the reality that the rest of us live through everyday.

This is true, but the people get what they vote for. It's not great for democracy, but the same is true for opposition politicians.
    MonsieurD wrote: »
    Relating to the 1% Income Levy, Minister Lenihan talked about the need for us all to step up to the plate and make a sacrifice to get Ireland back on track on RTE1 radio today. He said a person making €10k was being asked to contribute ONLY €100. He was unable to understand that this might cause difficulty to the lower paid people in the country.

Being a person in this bracket, I too, regardless of political leanings, regard this as ingenious, and I am with the minister in being unable to understand how someone can't afford €2 a week, but can afford 20 fags a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Why should Tony O'Reilly get a free medical card when he reaches 70?
    Why should a civil servent with a €45,000 a year pension get one?

The original means test was too low, but giving social welfare to the rich is rediculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got to say he didnt look at all happy about been on the political party yesterday didnt look like a publicity seeking stunt there. if only a few more ff's over the last few years had some conviction instead of continually buying elections we might not be in this position now. it seems a bit rich though after 11 years of wasteful ineffective governement he's only now seeing what a bunch a wasters the cabinet really are. not a bright idea between them

btw the real problem is the way over 70's medical; cards were brought in there should have been a reasonable income limit (not just above the pension but 3-4 times that and the savings limit should be €500,000 or so)

i know plenty of none over 70's in full time well paid employement who have medical cards bet you could save a lot more if you looked into these (just apply for a second pps number then aopply for your medical card on that bingo you can get your dole that way as well) this gov. has been so lazy in controlling spending that is where the problem lies and i n the fact we have an extra 100,000 civil servants (although i would like to see a breakdown between management and front line staff on that one before decrieing it totally)

Advertisement