Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX 360 and Blue Ray(without iusing a PS3)

• 18-10-2008 8:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi Folks.

Anyone out there know the best best way to get both of these for under 400.

Was looking at getting the PS3 for crimbo for my son and i of course, however its for him so no point putting in the main room as he wont be able to play as often as he'd like, after all it is his.

I know more people on xbl, and also know he loves halo, so seems the way to go. only reason i would get the PS3 is for the blue ray.

Does anyone out there know where the best deals are for XBOX's and a Blue ray players.

As i say i was looking at around 400 for the PS3 anyway, so if i can get the 2 for this price i would be happy out .

Thanks for looking.
    A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

MURDO wrote: »

Does anyone out there know where the best deals are for XBOX's and a Blue ray players.

A

IIRC,there aren't many Blu-Ray players on the market that are substantially cheaper than the Ps3 *and* that can have the firmware updated as a PS3
    can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

would you consider using your pc as a blu-ray player?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Hi Folks.

Anyone out there know the best best way to get both of these for under 400.

Was looking at getting the PS3 for crimbo for my son and i of course, however its for him so no point putting in the main room as he wont be able to play as often as he'd like, after all it is his.

I know more people on xbl, and also know he loves halo, so seems the way to go. only reason i would get the PS3 is for the blue ray.

As i say i was looking at around 400 for the PS3 anyway, so if i can get the 2 for this price i would be happy out .

Thanks for looking.
    A

There are some Blu-ray players (from good brands, that can be updated) available for as little as €200 now!

A pro 360 console can be got for €250 with game from most places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Blu ray players are comming down in price all the time.. *****s of a samsung player being sold for $149 in the states on black friday.. won be long before they'll be that price everywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭MURDO

dazftw wrote: »
    would you consider using your pc as a blu-ray player?

Funny you mention that. i would !, however its upstairs and my 42"" SAMMY is downstairs.

Dont want to move the PC, as too big for a start and its in my little haven away from the soaps and Sh!te that my mrs watches during the week. :(God Dam them soaps:(

From the other posts here. i think i might try and get the xbox 360 pro. but would like the new jasper kit if possible, still no mention on the true where-abouts of them though & then look for a blue ray SAMMY to go with the TV downstairs.

As for the PC, well its rigged tot he nines, however not sure if i'd get a cable long enough to go downstairs for that. unless i'm mistaken?

open to all idea's though.

A

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Stream the stuff from PC to XBox and lash a BluRay drive into the pc. Have you a hub near the telly or wi-fi?

Kharn wrote: »
    Stream the stuff from PC to XBox and lash a BluRay drive into the pc. Have you a hub near the telly or wi-fi?

+1

blu-ray players for pcs are even cheaper than stand alone players got mine for around €120 a good few months ago

Kharn wrote: »

Great idea. i have the router in the room above the L/Room. Suppose i could run a cable down to it and trunk it off. Would that be more reliable that wifi' ing it?.

tbh, i prefer the cable method due to previous wireless problems in the past.

thats sounds like the way to go. And would that give me the Exact same thing as if i was just plugging a blue ray player into the TV itself.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=10&sortby=nameAsc&subid=314&mfrid=
    looks like OC is the one, Excellent value. Just a case of which one to go for, but i'd say they all do the same Job lol..

Yea I have the Pioneer one, its pretty handy! Also you need to get software to play the blu-rays! Something along the lines of power dvd or something.. you gotta pay for it....:rolleyes:

Yea I have the Pioneer one, its pretty handy! Also you need to get software to play the blu-rays! Something along the lines of power dvd or something.. you gotta pay for it....:rolleyes:

Genuine copy or Cracked. Would it matter.

I currently have 8800GT in the system, is that enough also or would that have to be a HD card of some sort.?

• Advertisement

Genuine copy or Cracked. Would it matter.

I currently have 8800GT in the system, is that enough also or would that have to be a HD card of some sort.?

It wouldn't but its nearly the same price as a normal blu-ray player id say!

It wouldn't but its nearly the same price as a normal blu-ray player id say!

Good Stuff.

now all i need to do is decide on either the 360 PRO or the Elite.

Like the Elite more, but these don't ship as quick as the rest therefore not a good chance of getting the Jasper unit.

Asked a guy in gamestop yesterday about them, and he hadn't a clue what i was talking about and that info isn't released to there shops.

Still waiting to see if anyone has got one yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a Bluray player for around the 250 mark in the new Argos Christmas booklet, that plus a 360 should be well within your budget.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's a Bluray player for around the 250 mark in the new Argos Christmas booklet, that plus a 360 should be well within your budget.

Yeah , looks nice alright. Only have around the €400 though. think i'm gonna go with the PC Blue Ray Drive and 30 PRO. Means i still have my own little haven away from the mrs from time to time and can still watch stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

Great idea. i have the router in the room above the L/Room. Suppose i could run a cable down to it and trunk it off. Would that be more reliable that wifi' ing it?.

tbh, i prefer the cable method due to previous wireless problems in the past.

thats sounds like the way to go. And would that give me the Exact same thing as if i was just plugging a blue ray player into the TV itself.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=10&sortby=nameAsc&subid=314&mfrid=
    looks like OC is the one, Excellent value. Just a case of which one to go for, but i'd say they all do the same Job lol..

Try using Homeplug i.e ethernet over power cable cost you 85€ to start you just plug into your power socket at each end. No cabling needed. I use this for XBOX

Gerry1995 wrote: »
    Try using Homeplug i.e ethernet over power cable cost you 85€ to start you just plug into your power socket at each end. No cabling needed. I use this for XBOX

Thanks for the post.

Not sure whats happening here at the mo. From what i have heard off a few mates today. its not possible for the xbox to stream blue ray through it.:(

Still getting the xbox though. way better games than the PS3 IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

do you really really want blu-ray right now?
    I'm not trying to like start a debate but just give my own experience I have the full whack 360 elite, Hd-Dvd addon for 36-, PS3, Wii, About 5 Dvd Players yada yade even had a combi HD-Dvd/Blu-ray Drive in my PC for a little while but right now I'm still growing my dvd collection for the simple reasons
    1) Blu rays are way to expensive right now in your normal high st. shop there is barely a single BD to be found under 25 or so euro.

2) The Xbox at the moment is about as good a dvd player as you can find if you're hooking it up using HDMI it upscales the image and gives excellent picture Quality (This is of course true for the PS3 aswell and and upscaling dvd player)

3)For any prospective Blu-ray player purchaser there is not any real value in the market other than a PS3 - but if you don't want a PS3 just wait for it for a little while. I think it will really be worth it in the long run.

4) My brother had his first main job when Dvd's were still like Blu-ray but I guess way smaller and way more or a risk - He spent something like 400 Punts on a machine that was amazing at the time but a year later the medium was far more supported and way way more accesible financially. You won't be able to get the best out of a blu-ray player until they are cheaper too buy, there is more of a catalogue of movies/series and till the likes of Xtra-Vision start converting it's catalogue that (which will proably never happen, even if like now the still have some Blu-rays.)

mayordenis wrote: »
    do you really really want blu-ray right now?
    I'm not trying to like start a debate but just give my own experience I have the full whack 360 elite, Hd-Dvd addon for 36-, PS3, Wii, About 5 Dvd Players yada yade even had a combi HD-Dvd/Blu-ray Drive in my PC for a little while but right now I'm still growing my dvd collection for the simple reasons
    1) Blu rays are way to expensive right now in your normal high st. shop there is barely a single BD to be found under 25 or so euro.

2) The Xbox at the moment is about as good a dvd player as you can find if you're hooking it up using HDMI it upscales the image and gives excellent picture Quality (This is of course true for the PS3 aswell and and upscaling dvd player)

3)For any prospective Blu-ray player purchaser there is not any real value in the market other than a PS3 - but if you don't want a PS3 just wait for it for a little while. I think it will really be worth it in the long run.

4) My brother had his first main job when Dvd's were still like Blu-ray but I guess way smaller and way more or a risk - He spent something like 400 Punts on a machine that was amazing at the time but a year later the medium was far more supported and way way more accesible financially. You won't be able to get the best out of a blu-ray player until they are cheaper too buy, there is more of a catalogue of movies/series and till the likes of Xtra-Vision start converting it's catalogue that (which will proably never happen, even if like now the still have some Blu-rays.)

Thanks.

like your advice. Think i may wait a while after all.

Perhaps you can tell me. I'm looking at the XBOX 360 PRO. Will this upscale also and have the Same HDMI function as the ELITE version.

Only reason i would go for the Elite, would have been for the colour only.

Cheers again for the post

Thanks.

like your advice. Think i may wait a while after all.

Perhaps you can tell me. I'm looking at the XBOX 360 PRO. Will this upscale also and have the Same HDMI function as the ELITE version.

Only reason i would go for the Elite, would have been for the colour only.

Cheers again for the post

If you but a new 360 of any kind it should have HDMI but double check in the shop at the time but im 99.7% sure. But then again you seem to have a good tv and while I personally like HDMI - you're TV I assume will happily accept VGA and Component cables which over the same quality.

That includes upscaling - all of the 360 versions upscale as do all ps3 versions when hooked up using a HD cable (HDMI, VGA yada yada)

The black elite is very pretty and the only thing I would say for you being someone who sounds like they like their image Quality, that High Definition Movies are becoming more and more available over the Xbox Live Network and as such the xtra hard drive space might not hurt in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ixm1980

MURDO, I'm not 100% sure on this but if you go for a Pro I dont think you get a HDMI cable but if you go for the Elite you do.. Maybe someone can confirm this......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I got a hdmi cable in Tesco for 3euro last week. I would just get the pro, get HDMI cable cheap enough anywhere.
    I wouldn't waste my money on a Blue ray player they will be a obsolete media soon enough. Still not massive sales. Downloading HD media is the way forward. The only reason blue ray won over HD DVD is because it was forced on you if you got a PS3. And nether format was going to out do DVD. If you want HD movies just download the from Xbox live or there are plenty of other ways to get MKV files on the net, which are BR rips anyway. And stream them to your Xbox 360 using software called TVersity. Which can transcode any media format on the fly to WMV or WMV HD so you 360 can play them. I've my Pc in my gaming/office room out the back detached from my house( So I can game as loud as I want at all hours) and use the homeplugs and stream to my second 360 in the living room, so I've access to all my media from my sofa. Works a treat once you set it up, which isn't hard at all.

But wouldn't waste my cash on a BR player, invest it in a couple of TB hard drives instead and rip or dl'd all your media on to them.

ixm1980 wrote: »
    MURDO, I'm not 100% sure on this but if you go for a Pro I dont think you get a HDMI cable but if you go for the Elite you do.. Maybe someone can confirm this......

oh sorry I wasn't even considering the cable but just that you can use HDMI - You can get a HDMI CAble like the post aboce says from anywhere between 3-10 euro and they are the same as the monster cables that cost 70+.

HDMI PORT ON ALL 360 MODELS. EVEN ARCADE MODEL. ;)

ROC1977 wrote: »
    I got a hdmi cable in Tesco for 3euro last week. I would just get the pro, get HDMI cable cheap enough anywhere.
    I wouldn't waste my money on a Blue ray player they will be a obsolete media soon enough. Still not massive sales. Downloading HD media is the way forward. The only reason blue ray won over HD DVD is because it was forced on you if you got a PS3. And nether format was going to out do DVD. If you want HD movies just download the from Xbox live or there are plenty of other ways to get MKV files on the net, which are BR rips anyway. And stream them to your Xbox 360 using software called TVersity. Which can transcode any media format on the fly to WMV or WMV HD so you 360 can play them. I've my Pc in my gaming/office room out the back detached from my house( So I can game as loud as I want at all hours) and use the homeplugs and stream to my second 360 in the living room, so I've access to all my media from my sofa. Works a treat once you set it up, which isn't hard at all.

But wouldn't waste my cash on a BR player, invest it in a couple of TB hard drives instead and rip or dl'd all your media on to them.

Great stuff.

Getting happier all the time with this thread as go's along.

Deffo going that way so.

Now.... All i need is patients to find a Jasper Xbox 360.

And with the new 360 dash update around the corner there will be nice new features to mess around with. I got a new arcade model a couple of months ago, wasn't a jasper (i think it wasn't), but it was completely different inside to my old 360. It has 4 heat sinks in it. Runs very cool compared to the old one and is a lot quieter.

And of course if you have more than one 360 your can feed your media to other rooms in your home.

ROC1977 wrote: »
    And with the new 360 dash update around the corner there will be nice new features to mess around with. I got a new arcade model a couple of months ago, wasn't a jasper (i think it wasn't), but it was completely different inside to my old 360. It has 4 heat sinks in it. Runs very cool compared to the old one and is a lot quieter.

And of course if you have more than one 360 your can feed your media to other rooms in your home.

Does it run quieter than previous unit, if you had one that is.

I was in smyths yesterday in Limerick, and they had model code 0836 & 37.

Could this be a Jasper.(who knows)..

ya its not as loud. Best think to do to find out if its a jasper is to google the model numbers, I'm almost sure I've seen a site with a list of jasper models. But can't think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

there is a thread in this forum about Jasper codes and what to look out for serial no. wise

presto!!! lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement