Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Solution

Options
  • 18-10-2008 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Probabally all pie in the sky but here goes:

I would really like to see a Venables/Sheringham combo.
    No DOF system.

These guys would attract big names, Venables did this before with Gazza and Lineker. There's no way they would have come to Spurs if it wasn't for him.

Sheringham is an ex-Spurs fans favourite, currently out of work, has a great knowledge of the game and seems to have a very good professional relationship with Venables. I think Venables gave him his 1st England cap and signed him from Forest.

These guys would give us our Tottenham back in my opinion.
    I just can't relate to Ramos any more (not sure I ever did to be honest)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

No.

Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

No.

Just no.
    You are so wrong mate - no way, this is madness:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

No.

Just no.

Have to agree with this. Venebales, eh.....no. Big names will not come to him and Sheringham, with no experience what so ever, eh........no as well.

I know we're desperate, but noooooooooooo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

sacking ramos is not the answer but if it happens we need experience and player pulling ability. dont think these boys are the answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Like the idea of fellas that know the club being in charge.
    No reason why Venables shouldn't be any good.
    Age is no factor with management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

sorry mate but thats a shocking idea. Venables is a gangster who has more interests in business outside of football and is also a bit of a novelty that would be only appointed on his managerial record from over 12 years ago. Sheringham .... i cant see why anyone would even think of this. Its like the deluded newcastle fans asking for shearer as manager... utter disaster.We need to get rid of comolli as anyone else would have been sacked for such shoddy work in any job. Stick with ramos, but get a DoF in that he is comfortable working with and get levy to leave the transfer dealings to this DoF.. or alternatively SCRAP THIS WHOLE dOf IDEA ALTOGETHER.

No reason why Venables shouldn't be any good.
    Age is no factor with management.

Leading 3-1 on agg (including an away goal scored in Tehran in a 1-1 draw), his Socceroos conceded 2 late goals to lose a world cup play-off on away goals to Iran for the 1998 World Cup.

He left Portsmouth at the bottom of the 1st Division (now Championship) after an 11 month stint as chairman, but pocketed 100s of thousands before leaving, despite the club being on the verge of bankruptcy.

Managed Crystal Palace for 10 months but left in controversial circumstances, again pocketing a large pay check while almost bankrupting the club and it's owner Mark Goldberg.

Left Leeds battling relegation in March 2003 (was sacked by Leeds board)

Was assistant to the highly successful Steve McLaren for England.

His one "success" since leaving the England job after Euro 96 was his time as assistant/co-manager with Bryan Robson at Boro in 2000/01.

His age has nothing to do with it Shane, his history of Spurs is not enough to counter that CV. Modern football has passed people like him by, what does he know about modern training techniques, diet, nutrition etc etc? He attracted Gazza and Lineker nearly 20 years ago, go back another 10 years and Brukinshaw was signing world cup winners from Argentina...the General is still in the game, get him in?

Would you say Veloso, Huntelaar, Diarra, etc have an idea who Terry Venables is? Does anyone playing the game outside the British Isles?

Does Sheringham have any coaching badges? I'm not aware he has any coaching experience, Hughton would be a better option (and he's real Spurs, not like "I've always supported [insert team here] since I was a kid" Sheringham)

It's not age, it's ability that counts.

Leading 3-1 on agg (including an away goal scored in Tehran in a 1-1 draw), his Socceroos conceded 2 late goals to lose a world cup play-off on away goals to Iran for the 1998 World Cup.

He left Portsmouth at the bottom of the 1st Division (now Championship) after an 11 month stint as chairman, but pocketed 100s of thousands before leaving, despite the club being on the verge of bankruptcy.

Managed Crystal Palace for 10 months but left in controversial circumstances, again pocketing a large pay check while almost bankrupting the club and it's owner Mark Goldberg.

Left Leeds battling relegation in March 2003 (was sacked by Leeds board)

Was assistant to the highly successful Steve McLaren for England.

His one "success" since leaving the England job after Euro 96 was his time as assistant/co-manager with Bryan Robson at Boro in 2000/01.

His age has nothing to do with it Shane, his history of Spurs is not enough to counter that CV. Modern football has passed people like him by, what does he know about modern training techniques, diet, nutrition etc etc? He attracted Gazza and Lineker nearly 20 years ago, go back another 10 years and Brukinshaw was signing world cup winners from Argentina...the General is still in the game, get him in?

Would you say Veloso, Huntelaar, Diarra, etc have an idea who Terry Venables is? Does anyone playing the game outside the British Isles?

Does Sheringham have any coaching badges? I'm not aware he has any coaching experience, Hughton would be a better option (and he's real Spurs, not like "I've always supported [insert team here] since I was a kid" Sheringham)

It's not age, it's ability that counts.

Points taken, I just like the idea of someone that actulayy knows what Tottenham Hotspur is about having a roll to play. From the boardroom, down to the players no ones seems to have a clue about this great club is and what it stands for.

I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise, each to thir own, I'm sick of forgien owners, players and managers. I would like to see El Tel back at Spurs and then hand over to Teddy after a couple of seasons. These lads know what Tottenaham (and Tottenham fans) are about.

I did't think this would be a popular idea, Just something that I thought might work, back to bacis approach. Can't see it happeneing anyway so not worth getting excited about either way.

Points taken, I just like the idea of someone that actulayy knows what Tottenham Hotspur is about having a roll to play. From the boardroom, down to the players no ones seems to have a clue about this great club is and what it stands for.

Mate, on that point alone both Levy and Paul Barber are lifelong fans of the club, which goes to show that knowing the club's history doesn't mean the person in charge can't be distracted by other targets, which is another concern I'd have over Venables.

i was just thinkin that about levy!

but didnt he have a season ticket with rangers or something as well? is levy another one of those insert team supporters?

not sure thats why im askin

• Advertisement

keane=cock wrote: »
    i was just thinkin that about levy!

but didnt he have a season ticket with rangers or something as well? is levy another one of those insert team supporters?

not sure thats why im askin

Lifelong Spurs fan, perhaps you're thinking about Rangers because ENIC had an investment up north as well?

Mate, on that point alone both Levy and Paul Barber are lifelong fans of the club, which goes to show that knowing the club's history doesn't mean the person in charge can't be distracted by other targets, which is another concern I'd have over Venables.

Life-long Spurs fans with millions of shares are not the same as the normal fans who really give a zhit, spending their time and money supporting this car-crach of a club and who really just want to see the club do well on the pitch more than any commerical sucess.

It has been predicted in the press that THFC will announce profits of about 10mil in the next week or so. Nice little dividend for the boys there. Not much use you and me when the club we love are playing in the Championship next season.

Another question is why should any club make profit anyway, breaking even should be the aim with any surplus funds going being invested into new signings and/or better facilities. It's all so wrong.

I know I've digressed a little for the original topic, but our club is rotten from top to bottom and we are fcuked long term. I accept this now and just get on with it. Such a sad and sorry state of affairs but the club have nobody to blame but themselves. And it the poor sods like you and me who will be left to pick up the pieces when Levy and Co finally fcuk off with a lovely little lump sum in their back pockets.

I'm just so sick of it all.

Life-long Spurs fans with millions of shares are not the same as the normal fans who really give a zhit, spending their time and money supporting this car-crach of a club and who really just want to see the club do well on the pitch more than any commerical sucess.

It has been predicted in the press that THFC will announce profits of about 10mil in the next week or so. Nice little dividend for the boys there. Not much use you and me when the club we love are playing in the Championship next season.

Another question is why should any club make profit anyway, breaking even should be the aim with any surplus funds going being invested into new signings and/or better facilities. It's all so wrong.

I know I've digressed a little for the original topic, but our club is rotten from top to bottom and we are fcuked long term. I accept this now and just get on with it. Such a sad and sorry state of affairs but the club have nobody to blame but themselves. And it the poor sods like you and me who will be left to pick up the pieces when Levy and Co finally fcuk off with a lovely little lump sum in their back pockets.

I'm just so sick of it all.

Couple of things mate:

1. I'm not comparing Levy and other board members to ordinary fans, just saying that as a fan you can expect that he has at least as much of an understanding about what the club is about, it's just that he answers to a different set of priorities to the rest of us. I think Venables would allow his media work to distract him from a job at Spurs (he turned down a more permanent role in Boro to allow him keep up his TV work IIRC). TBH, I don't care if the man in charge thinks Bill Nic is just a boozer in N17, as long as gets results. I'm sick of fans expecting the "Tottenham way" if I'm honest. I'd like someone who knows how to organise a team, motivate them, manage their fitness etc etc. The rest is just a nicety.

2. Don't confuse profit with dividend. AFAIK we've only posted one dividend in the period ENIC have been in charge, £3m last year. Admittedly they did use the club's money to buy back the preferential share issue to increase their own stake in the club, but most of what is reported as "profit" ir reinvested back in the club. I don't think any of the shareholders are pocketing large sums of money.

And I'll make that my last contribution, I've a bag to pack for tomorrow and I know you'd rather I didn't keep banging on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

What in God's name are you on about? You think because you watch Spurs, go to a few games, and maybe buy a shirt that you are more committed than Levy and that he doesn't give a damn? Spurs are Levy's job and his life. It's analogous to saying you care more about U2 than Bono. You can criticise Levy's performance but don't be so ignorant as to question his commitment or motivation.

hotspur wrote: »
    What in God's name are you on about? You think because you watch Spurs, go to a few games, and maybe buy a shirt that you are more committed than Levy and that he doesn't give a damn? Spurs are Levy's job and his life. It's analogous to saying you care more about U2 than Bono. You can criticise Levy's performance but don't be so ignorant as to question his commitment or motivation.

I will question whom I like. It's a free world and I'm entitled to my opinion. As a season ticket holder I reckon I spend a higher % of my disposable imcome and spare time on Tottenham Hotspur then Levy does. I'm nearly broke because of the b@stards. If that's ignorant, so be it.

Getting back to the point. From what I've seen over ENICs tenure is that Levy is commited to making profit first and everything else second. Buying young players, ensuring that players have good sell on values. Naybet and Davids were exceptions but both were also free transfers and only cost the club wages.

If you judge ENIC on financial results, I'm not surprized how happy you seem with Levy's commitment. Personally Spurs winning games is more importnat to me and I lay the balme of the current farse that we're all suffering at Levy's feet, not that I reckon he'll be too bothered by that. He'll be walking away shorly like a rat off a sinking ship with a nice profit on his investment.

If you see things differently, good for you.

Couple of things mate:

1. I'm not comparing Levy and other board members to ordinary fans, just saying that as a fan you can expect that he has at least as much of an understanding about what the club is about, it's just that he answers to a different set of priorities to the rest of us. I think Venables would allow his media work to distract him from a job at Spurs (he turned down a more permanent role in Boro to allow him keep up his TV work IIRC). TBH, I don't care if the man in charge thinks Bill Nic is just a boozer in N17, as long as gets results. I'm sick of fans expecting the "Tottenham way" if I'm honest. I'd like someone who knows how to organise a team, motivate them, manage their fitness etc etc. The rest is just a nicety.

2. Don't confuse profit with dividend. AFAIK we've only posted one dividend in the period ENIC have been in charge, £3m last year. Admittedly they did use the club's money to buy back the preferential share issue to increase their own stake in the club, but most of what is reported as "profit" ir reinvested back in the club. I don't think any of the shareholders are pocketing large sums of money.

And I'll make that my last contribution, I've a bag to pack for tomorrow and I know you'd rather I didn't keep banging on.

Me too - to be continued over a pint (or 10) - all the best :)

Lifelong Spurs fan, perhaps you're thinking about Rangers because ENIC had an investment up north as well?

must have been it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Getting back to the point. From what I've seen over ENICs tenure is that Levy is commited to making profit first and everything else second.

Do you genuinely not realise that the most profitable thing for Spurs is on the field success and Champions League football? Our current team costs about 4 times as much as the one that Jol brought us to 5th with. The board have spent a lot of money over the past few years.

Only the most thoroughly naive and poor thinking of fans would blame are current plight on profiteering. I guess we lost to Hull and Stoke because our board didn't spend their kind of money eh?

hotspur wrote: »
    Only the most thoroughly naive and poor thinking of fans would blame are current plight on profiteering. I guess we lost to Hull and Stoke because our board didn't spend their kind of money eh?

I think it's simplistic to blame our current plight on profiteering, but I also believe it's simplistic to look at the money spent and ignore the fact that the investors who control our club have have excessive player trading as a cornerstone of their business plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I blame the situation on the Boards constant wholesale changes to the team and coaching management.

As you say Ronan, the player trading is excessive. I can't think of another club who have bought and sold so many players in the last few seasons.

We had a good 05/06 season under Jol, finishing in 5th place only 2points from 4th spot. What should have happened at the start of the 06/07 campaign was to:-
    1) Not sell any key players
    2) Buy only one or two players who would strengthen

What did we do, well we made wholesale changes. The result was again we finished 5th but this time 8 points behind 4th spot.

Season 06/08, again we make massive wholesale changes and this time finish in 11th place some 30 points off 4th spot. After a poor start the board panicked and put their emergency contigency plan into operation before it was necessary (e.g. sacked BMJ and brought in Ramos).

My point is what we need is continuity. We need it at boardroom level, we need it at coaching level and we need it in key team players.

The longest serving manager we have had at Spurs since Bill Nicholson was Keith Burkenshaw (1976-1984). Since the start of the Premier League, the two most successful clubs still have the longest serving managers in Ferguson & Wenger.

Whilst Levy & Co. are astute businessmen, what we need at this stage now, is a multi-billionaire whose looking for a new plaything to throw his money at otherwise, we are going down. Our current players do not have know-how, when it comes to scrapping themselves out of trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement