Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leg cramps

• 18-10-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

As if to welcome me to the 3rd trimester, I woke up last night with leg cramps in both legs at the very same time :mad: Well THAT hurt!! Now I can't straighten my legs, I'm walking like a cowboy :) Any advice on relieving that apres cramp ache and preventing my least favourite pregnancy side effect in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Ouchies. I remember them for my teenage years, growing pains or something. Massage could work but it's expensive in these straightened times. Also try sleeping on your side, maybe use a pillow between your legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Grawns wrote: »
    Ouchies. I remember them for my teenage years, growing pains or something. Massage could work but it's expensive in these straightened times. Also try sleeping on your side, maybe use a pillow between your legs.

Too expensive for me unless I can train hubby in the ways of the masseuse :) I do sleep on my side with a full body pillow between my knees. I've read that it can be caused by dehydration, but I do drink a good bit of water. I've also seen calcium and potassium deficiencies cited as aa possible cause, so I suppose I'll dig out the banana milkshakes today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm not pregnant, but do suffer from leg cramps regularly.

I've always found the best thing is the second you wake up with it happening, jump out of bed and stand with your feet flat on the floor. When my leg cramps my toes point, and anything that stops that seems to reduce the problem the next day. For a bad cramp, even when you stand up you might be on tippy toes, but forcing your heel down to the ground reduces the problems the next day. For some reason if you can stand on something cold it's even better (no idea why). One place I lived had a wall at the foot of the bed, and that was great - I could push my foot flat against the cold wall without even having to get up!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I'm with Thoie there, had the cramps my whole life but they got much worse during the last tri of pregnancy this year. I started getting them in the arch of my feet and like you I got them in both legs at the same time! We've always called the calve cramps "Charley Horse" cramps but I've no idea why! It can be hard to straighten up the next day but I think you might need to look at something else for saddle soreness! :D I found more milk and cheese and bananas did help to reduce them, and when I got one I pressed my leg straight out with my foot flat against whatever was nearest that night - wardrobe door, husband, whatever! :) It goes away as soon as your baba is born and I've never had fewer than I do now. Good luck. How long left now?

Thanks for the advice, folks.. I used to suffer from these bad boys back when I was pregnant with my son, just hoped I'd skip that phase this time :) What I always try to do is pull my toes back up towards myself as much as I can. Also helps if I can wake the husband up enough to rub the affected leg while the cramp is ongoing. It's just a little hard to get your point across while you're rolling around in pain :) As for getting out of bed quickly, I'd struggle with that at the best of times, but I'm a little awkward at the moment with regards to moving quickly!

Oh well, 13 more weeks to go :P

• Advertisement

Good luck Quackles, try the old BioOil for a leg rub before bed, I forgot to say that earlier. Something about getting the circulation going helps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hi quackles,
    I generally take a bath every night before bed, I find it relaxes me and eases any tension in my muscles.

In the morning, the lower back is usually sore for a short while, but after the aerobic excercise that involves getting my son dressed in the morning, it usually wears off after a couple of minutes.. Maybe try some light stretches, and that leg rub sounds wonderful too!!!

Enjoy your last trimester, your on the home run now!!

Quality wrote: »
    Hi quackles,
    I generally take a bath every night before bed, I find it relaxes me and eases any tension in my muscles.

In the morning, the lower back is usually sore for a short while, but after the aerobic excercise that involves getting my son dressed in the morning, it usually wears off after a couple of minutes.. Maybe try some light stretches, and that leg rub sounds wonderful too!!!

Enjoy your last trimester, your on the home run now!!

I'd still rather be where you are :) The bath sounds heavenly, I was thinking the same as I was bathing my son earlier, nearly hopped in with him!!

I feel for you I really do, I used to get them, they're horific

Tonic Water with Quinine, and Bananas, eat and drink plenty of them, you will see a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Alyama

Most common cause for cramps is if you dont have enough Magnesium. Unfortunately this is very common in pregnancy as your body needs much more Magnesium than most people can take in with their diet.

You need to get advise on this, as it is not only annoying but can cause you to go into labour early!

Had the same problem a few weeks ago and was advised to take Magnesium supplement! Took a while to find out though as my GP had no idea!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Thankfully, I have never suffered from leg cramps, but a friend of mine did for years. She was advised to drink Tonic Water daily which she does, she now has no more leg cramps, and swears by the tonic water - it's worth a try :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

According to Miriam Stoppard support tights during the day will help. Icky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Prevention: Drink more milk, keep your feet warm/under the covers.
    Cure: [If your bed is up against a wall] turn yourself and place your feet low on the wall, then press hard.

Support tights are also an excellent form of contraception if you're not interested in babymaking and still only practising! You can either
    a) Let him see you in them,
    or
    b) leave them on for the tumble!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Spanx?

Ta, folks - one of the suggestions seems to be working anyway, no cramps since, touch wood!

And baza, wil spank you later if you are into that sort of thing, would you like me to wear the support stockings? ;)

I'm good over here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Jaysus, i used to have them something terrible,be nearly crying with them, tried the drinkin more milk but coz of the morning, noon and night sickness I couldnt stomach it. Hope the remedy works out for ya:D

Advertisement