Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tradesman charging VAT on a cheque.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with paying with a cheque. It's not up to a customer to decide whether someone pays their taxes.

Thats just plain ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

SteveC wrote: »
    Do you know how VAT works?

If trading unregistered, you pay VAT on materials so by default when you charge the customer for them it includes VAT.

I'm perfectly aware how VAT works.

Yes, if trading unregistered for VAT you are liable for any VAT costs you incur and cannot claim it back; it doesn't change the truth of what i said.

If your turnover is below 35k a small business/self-employed person does not have to charge VAT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

BenjAii wrote: »
    I'm perfectly aware how VAT works.

Yes, if trading unregistered for VAT you are liable for any VAT costs you incur and cannot claim it back; it doesn't change the truth of what i said.

If your turnover is below 35k a small business/self-employed person does not have to charge VAT.

Fair enough, I wasn't having a go at you, I was just unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

BenjAii wrote: »

I think the law is that you can choose to register for VAT is your turnover is below the threshold. If you are not VAT registeered you cannot charge VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK all, this is the Consumer Issues forum, not the small business/tradesman forum, so please respect that.

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement