Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Fiesta - Heater Broken.

Options
  • 18-10-2008 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on this? Ford Fiesta heater packed in - just blowing cold air. I had a look on the web and there are a lot of failures of the Heater Control Valve. Check all fuses - ok. Picked up a second hand valve at a scrapyard and fitted it. Topped up coolant. I started the car and it started blowing warm air. Good stuff. The next day I went out for a spin and after about 5 mins the air turned cold again. I was convinced the valve had packed in. But later on I stopped the car and when I started it again, I noticed the air was heating up again. But a couple of mins later it goes cold again. I have opened the coolant tank to release pressure. Possibly it an airlock but whats the best way to get rid of this? Would it be worth flushing the cooling system completely?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it the valve at the bulk head you replaced? They are a common failure on many fiestas. I wouldnt be surprised if the secondhand one was faulty too.
    What year is the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Thanks for the reply mickdw. Yep thats the valve I replaced. The scrapyard did give me a 3 month warranty on it because "they have a lot of trouble with these"... so might go back to them. I did some diagnosis today. It is still doing the warm up/cool down thing but I checked the tubes coming out of the valve are hot even when it is blowing cold air... i.e: the tubes that feed into the heater. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Drax wrote: »
    but I checked the tubes coming out of the valve are hot even when it is blowing cold air... i.e: the tubes that feed into the heater. Strange!
    If you're talking about the hoses going into the valve from the coolant system they'll always be hot as the coolant still has to circulate through them when the valve is closed. If you're talking about the short hoses between the valve and the heater matrix (going into the bulkhead), they always seem hot anyway, probably conduction from the valve or something.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, so just bought a new valve from a Ford dealer. It was €47.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 h_baby

Count yourself lucky. My mum's was broken but was blowing HOT HOT HOT air right through the summer months. It nearly killed her!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ So....... you're saying.......yore Ma was HOT! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 h_baby

But of course, and recently divorced. Y'interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Another perfectly good thread ruined by Yore Ma. :D

Anyway will probably go an buy a new valve. Cheers for the replies.

Advertisement