Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of 2 Storey House Extension

• 18-10-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to build a 2 storey extension.
    Including architect, planning cost and all labour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

nickyjacob wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to build a 2 storey extension.
    Including architect, planning cost and all labour.

What size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Depends on size (yes, it does matter ;) ) and location. You could factor for anything between €70 - €120 with architects fees around 6% - 10% of your building costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Thinking of starting a 2 story extension myself. Going to price it direct labour and hope to get it all done around 100k fingers crossed. Cheaper to get block layers, plasters, electrician and plumber yourself and order the materials yourself rather than getting a contractor. I'll be putting in a new kitchen and bathroom for that amount too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Keep us updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Will do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 togota

Hi,

I was just going to open a new thread, but decided to continue here in case some of you are still following this one.

We are also just about to finish our 2 storey extension plans before going to planning and get quotes. The house is an old council house (end of terrace), currently with around 80sqm in total. The size incl. extension would be around 180sqm.

The extension will include 1 new kitchen with new dining/living room (open plan), 1 new big bathroom, 1 small bathroom, utility and new master bedroom (en-suite).

We also need to upgrade / get a new heating system (hopefully incl. alternative heating options) and do some new partitioning, flooring, insulation (incl. attic) and wiring in the existing house.

We would need a new foundation to the side and back of the house (around 70sqm) with Pipe & Plumbing for kitchen/bathrooms/utility.

We have not asked any builder yet. I would just like to ask if anyone can give us an idea how much we need to budget for in the current market. According to this thread and others you would need to budget for around 1000Euro per sqm in total? Is that correct? How much of that would be labour/material?

Would you recommend to go to ONE builder or to go for direct labour or ...?

Sorry too many questions.... ;-)

Thanks for your posts!

I should add that we live in South County Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

togota wrote: »
    The extension will include 1 new kitchen with new dining/living room (open plan), 1 new big bathroom, 1 small bathroom, utility and new master bedroom (en-suite).

No offense but 3 new toilets in an extension seems alot, why so many?
    Save a few bob by cutting down. Can you incorporate a "Jack & Jill" bathroom?

Bathrooms, Kitchen, tiling and floor coverings can cost alot. Always have a few grand aside to cover unforseen expenses, in an old house - plumbing, rot, wiring etc.

I'd say Dublin area would be dearer than other parts of the country, so still upwards of approx €100 sqft, at least. Get a least 3 quotes for everything.

A Building Contractor is advisable, as it seems a relatively big extension at over 100% increase in floor area. A Contractor should also be quicker.

Only consider Direct Labour if its relatively straight forward, you have professional advice & regular inspections and you are an excellent manager - lots of orders for materials on site on time!

Thanks for your reply! A 'jack & jill' bathroom might be a good idea. I should have mentioned that the existing bathroom will become part of the new upstairs hall so all bathrooms will be in the new extension. We'd like a main bathroom, a downstairs toilet and an en-suite.

It's a boxy design so the whole built should be pretty straight forward. No carrying walls have to be altered. Well we will need new windows and a new/upgraded heating system as well.

I assume that your estimate is including appliances?

thx

Advertisement