Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating The Rent

Options
  • 18-10-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey All,

A wee question to throw out to you all.....

Are rent prices coming down by THAT much?
    (I figure that they should be lower than they currently are....but I would say that..)

and..

If there is anybody out there that has negotiated a lower price than was advertised on daft.....
    ....HOW low did they GO?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

We tried to knock hundred off but only got fifty (we didn't really either cause he named a price fifty higher than on daft). Anyways its fairly hard to haggle when they say I've got plenty more people who want to look at it, how do you come back to that? I guess you need to do your homework and see how long the property has been on the market, etc, but I think they are wise to that too, you'll often see new ad's for the same property almost every day or once a week, and this allows agents to say its just on the market even if its been empty for months. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rrocksy9

We tried to knock hundred off but only got fifty (we didn't really either cause he named a price fifty higher than on daft). Anyways its fairly hard to haggle when they say I've got plenty more people who want to look at it, how do you come back to that? I guess you need to do your homework and see how long the property has been on the market, etc, but I think they are wise to that too, you'll often see new ad's for the same property almost every day or once a week, and this allows agents to say its just on the market even if its been empty for months. Hope that helps.

Cheers does help...
    saw a place last night and was told they'd knock 50 off....but alas it was the same story as yours.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

take a look at www.irishpropertywatch.com
    Check out other similar properties in the rentals section and see how long they have been for rent. I'm sure your landlord would be more willing to drop their price if you could show them it could take months to rent out the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Anyways its fairly hard to haggle when they say I've got plenty more people who want to look at it, how do you come back to that?
    Tell them its the tenth place you looked at today, and one of the most expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Supply of rental property is increasing 10% month-on-month at the moment (according to the CSO) as people who are unwilling to sell in the current market put their properties on the rental market instead. You are in an extremely strong position to barter on the rent- but accept that if the landlord says "no", they very likely might not budge. Plenty of other landlords are being realistic though..... look around......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Standard sales tactic. Whenever you're in buying a car, it's always: "that's the last one in that colour", "they've been selling like hot cakes", etc.

If he had tenants lined up outside the door, he wouldn't have reduced the price.

Suss him out and call his bluff.

Then again, maybe he doesn't want a tenant who can call his bluff and will hold on for a member of the sheeple population. So, don't get too greedy!

If you want a real bargain, identify the desperate landlord and go in for the kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

We moved house in June. One place we viewed was a 4 bed house in Booterstown, monthly rent 2200, 1 single, 3 double rooms. Had seen it had been on daft for 2 weeks at least so I offered them 2000 and we could move in straight away. They came back to us after the weekend after another viewing that weren't interested and said we could have it at that price.
    We had to decline as nobody wanted the single room lol.

Play hardball and offer 200 less. They've had us tenants over a barrel long enough!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

The apartment I currently live in (1-bedroom - 5 mins from Stephens Green) was advertised in daft for 1000 Euro. At the viewing I asked the letting agent to confirm the price. He replied that 950 Euro would also be OK. I didn't even try to negotiate, I just asked to get the price confirmed. That was in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Serge

In September offer for 2 bed apart was 950, we took it for 900 + Tv supplied by landlord. I think good deal. Location - Cork southside

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I would just like to reiterate that the supply of rental accommodation is increasing 10% month-on-month- which is totally unheard of. The amount of vacant property nationwide (it is not just a Dublin issue), is staggering. Use this to your advantage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement