Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colin Powell set to endorse Obama

Options
  • 18-10-2008 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

General Colin Powell, the former US Secretary of State, is preparing for a live TV interview tomorrow amid intense speculation that he is ready to endorse Barack Obama's presidential campaign.
    Aides from John McCain's camp are bracing themselves for another damaging blow, with one being quoted yesterday as suggesting that such an announcement from General Powell would be "personally embarrassing" for the Republican nominee -- with whom the general has been friends for 25 years".
    General Powell, who once considered an attempt to become America's first black president, has strong credentials on national security policy.
    Since quitting as secretary of state in 2005, he has distanced himself from President George W Bush.
    Last month he said that electing a black president would send an electrifying message to the world, before adding that he would base his decision on which candidate "blends a right measure of experience and judgment".

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/us-elections/colin-powell-tipped-to-desert-navy-veterans-1502862.html

This is going to be a major slap in the face for McCain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Ouch indeed. There've been rumours since forever, nice to see him finally endorsing one of them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not surprised if this happens, as the General left Bush's cabinet largely after the first term due to a disagreement over the conduct of the Iraq War. Of course Bush was more qualified to make military decisions based upon his heroic war record defending the State of Texas from the State of Oklahoma during the Viet Nam Era, while the life long career military officer, 4-star general, and former Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff wasn't? The General was also a Republican, so going against his Commander and Chief qualified him as a maverick?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i really hope this happens. Powell is a figure i have huge respect for. His UN perfomance which disappointed me so much at the time turned out to be a case of him being shafted by the Bush administration and i believe that he was sincere in his beliefs at the time. Hope this endorsement rumour doesn't turn out to be a false alarm though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'd be fairly surprised, despite the speculation going around. At absolute worst, he'll decline to endorse anyone, methinks.

Of note, he dropped a couple of grand into McCain's fund last year, not too much is likely to have changed since then.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If he does endorse Obama it will be a fairly major nail in McCains campaign coffin. But he probably wont - given the friendship between himself and McCain and the fact that Obama doesnt need his support should the polls be taken as accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'd be fairly surprised, despite the speculation going around. At absolute worst, he'll decline to endorse anyone, methinks.

Of note, he dropped a couple of grand into McCain's fund last year, not too much is likely to have changed since then.

NTM

Um...an awful lot has changed since then. An awful lot of the republican base seem to be, while not switching loyalties, at least heavily criticising the McCain campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two of the republican heavy-hitters come down on the side of the democrats this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

I have always had great respect for Colin Powell as a dignified and honest statesman. In fact I think he would make a particularly good president. He would have been a great choice as VP for John McCain, but perhaps his support for abortion rights and "reasonable" gun control might not have augured well.

Having supported McCain both as a friend and with a sizable political donation, switching sides at this stage would be highly uncharacteristic of a man who, as an officer, placed such notable value on the concept of loyalty. If he had decided to support the Democrats with Hillary Clinton as presidential nominee, I would have still held him in high regard. However, I think it would be beneath his dignity if he were to do this merely to endorse the ‘first black president of the United States of America’.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone else mistake the title of this thread as saying Colin Farrell?

I should put my glasses back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Anyone else mistake the title of this thread as saying Colin Farrell?

I should put my glasses back on.
    it would still probably be accurate, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,266 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

for those of us that still place Powell on the same shelf as the bush administration, whats so special about mr. powell that makes him an upstanding gentleman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

That's a good question. Overrated and over esteemed in my view. Sure, he jumped ship after the first term but he was complicit in the Bush Iraq farce from from the start until his departure. The fact that he only came clean after he got unhitched is only a small notch on his rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Oh well:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/19/colin-powell-endorses-obama/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Let the defamation of character begin! :)
    - He is voting for a brutha!
    - This is the guy who canvassed us into a war with Iraq.
    - One of the Elitist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Sweet. McCains chances are getting slimmer and slimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Awesome! Quite a big blow to McCain-Palin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

I wonder could we see Powell in Obama's cabinet perhaps as Secretary of Defence should Obama win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Wow, that was incredibly articulate, measured, and persuasive. I think Powell's point about the inclusive nature of Obama's campaign and his use of the word 'polarising' in association with McCain's campaign will really resonate with undecided voters (those who like the idea of polarisation would probably have voted for McCain anyway).

There were also undertones in what he was saying that McCain was a good man but he didn't like what he heard from 'the party' that suggest he doesn't think McCain is in full control of his campaign or party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

herobear wrote: »
    [YOUTUBE/]aiLIWTs2Suo[/YOUTUBE]

this is so awesome :D

It is :)

Very touching story about the muslim American soldier who gave his life for his country but a large number of people would hope to discredit whatever positive impact he had on the country, and label Muslims in general terrorists or potential terrorists. Good point about Obama's campaign being more inclusive than McCain's. Seems like the only way Republicans think they can win is to drive a wedge between people, you're either with us or against us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I wonder how the 'balanced' Fox News is reporting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Overheal wrote: »
    for those of us that still place Powell on the same shelf as the bush administration, whats so special about mr. powell that makes him an upstanding gentleman?
    His was a voice of reason. When Rumsfeld was demanding war, Powell was taking a more reasoned, measured approach. Remember that Powell was one of the few in the Bush cabinet with (frontline) military experience. He knew that the war was going to be difficult, while the Walter Mittys were out for Blood and Steel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am, indeed, surprised.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

If I was an American, I would rather see Powell for Pres. over McCain or Obama.

Seems to combine the best elements of both candidates (and i'm not talking about being a brutha).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Well I certainly overestimated him and his sense of judgement. Disappointing :(!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Wow, that was incredibly articulate, measured, and persuasive.
    Powell is a very bright and experienced individual, who I believe to be more qualified than Obama for the US presidency, especially with two wars going. He pressed GW Bush to exhaust all diplomatic avenues before the Iraq War, and was quite outspoken about this, but Bush-Chaney wanted war (and oil). Being a Republican and the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Daddy Bush, plus Secretary of State under Baby Bush, this must be throwing the Republican believers a real curve indeed! He was also known to be a long time friend of McCain, so the message would not have been a good one for McCain to receive. Geeeeeee, Republican Powell seems to be more of a "maverick" than McCain!
    Victor wrote:
    He was a voice of reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just watched the interview and also the chat with the press outside afterwards. Powerful stuff. Basically summed up my feelings about this election (in a very eloquent and intelligent way). The outside section is better than the actual interview to be honest...that Bachmann is some muppet.

It won't necessarily make much of a difference but it does point out in no uncertain terms how the GOP have disgraced themselves in this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Fox news does a brilliant hatchet job of the story on their website (probably even better on their channel).

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/10/19/colin-powell-endorses-obama/

Read the comments from fox news viewers. They are very enlightening. One can only hope that enough independents/undecided's will get the full version of what Powell said, not the spun version doled out by Faux News and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How was it a hatchet job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,266 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

its what youre not reading in the FOX article, basically.

Advertisement