Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colin Powell set to endorse Obama

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

todolist wrote: »
    He's only endorsing Obama because he's black.Plain and simple.

If you watched the full Powell interview on his endorsement you would know how full of crap that statement is.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Hobbes wrote: »
    If you watched the full Powell interview on his endorsement you would know how full of crap that statement is.
    Powell is a lifelong Republican supporter.his good friend john McCain runs for the Presidency but Powell switches to the Democratic party(a party he's always opposed) and endorsed a candidate who espouses everything Powell stood against.The only conclusion you could reach is Powell thinks its more important to elect an Africanamerican.Hillary clinton,had she won the nomination, would not have being given his endorsement.

blah.

Again. As I said if you watched the full Powell interview on his endorsement you would know how full of crap that statement is.

I could explain why by quoting the key bits but it is more fun watching you show your not even capable to research what you are claiming.
    clinton,had she won the nomination, would not have being given his endorsement.

Wow you actually got something correct. If hillary had gotten the nomination McCain would be in the same position Obama is in the polls now. Which is why McCain wanted her to be the nomination.

Hobbes...you said Clinton wouldn't have been given an endorsement from Powell.Why give it to Senator Obama then? Clinton/Obama..same party same policies.Why Obama and not Clinton?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Hobbes...you said Clinton wouldn't have been given an endorsement from Powell.Why give it to Senator Obama then? Clinton/Obama..same party same policies.Why Obama and not Clinton?

Not necessarily same policies on all matters just coz they are in the same party. Personally I see Obama primarily as a peacemaker and a diplomat. He will talk to people and try diplomacy before taking action. I agree with this. I'm not too sure Hillary is cut from the same cloth.
    Obama is inspiring and a positive influence at a time when it is sorely needed. Hillary is divisive (like the new McCain) and frankly we can do without that now.
    Maybe these character traits had nothing to do with Powells endorsement but they sure as hell influence how I feel about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

You really can't see the flaw in this? Ok, here it is:
    same party same policies.

You're half-right.

You really can't see the flaw in this? Ok, here it is:

You're half-right.
    What's the difference in their policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Google is your friend...first result searching on "clinton v obama policies" returned this:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/02/business/policies.php

For the last time did you even watch the Powell interview? He explains in detail why he picked Obama over McCain and answers the "Voting for the brutha" claims.

He clearly stated that if it was just McCain as McCain running for president then he would of voted for McCain. But the republican party is flawed and he was upset that McCain had to give up so much to get the support of the far right wing in the party.

In fact he goes out of his way to say how much he respects McCain.

His complaint is with the GOP. Not McCain.

As for voting because he is black, he dismisses this in detail but the core point was that if that was the only reason then he would of endorsed Obama long before then.

He picked Obama because he believed at this juncture in time that the GOP is liable to do more harm then good to the country.

With regards to Clinton it is pretty much unlikely he would of endorsed Hillary. She is very polorizing to the undecieded to push them Republican (in the same way Palin does for Democrats).

Hobbes...thanks for your detailed answer.You made some good points which i wasn't aware of.
    I'm not sure powell's endorsement means that much anyway.As I said befor he's lost a lot of credibility being a cheerleader for the invasion of Iraq.He lied to facilitate Bush's invasion plans.Obama's biggest and most important endorsement came from Senator Kennedy and President Kennedy's daughter Caroline.That was far more significant than Powell's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement