Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practical Help

Options
  • 18-10-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello!

I was just looking for some advice on the music practical.
    I play two instruments and I was thinking of playing 4+4 pieces.
    I am at the same standard in each instrument.

However, my music teacher wants me to play 6 on one instrument to save me extra bother.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Thanks!:)

oh sorry! The two instruments are piano and flute. My music teacher thinks I should pick one of them..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

you could kinda tell us what instruments you're playing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Fair bit of discussion about the music practical here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055396843

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've heard examiners prefer two instruments and mark you easier.

Also are you doing flute/piano grades this year? Cos if so you'll probably be playing 3 pieces for each grade, which is already 6 of your 8 pieces covered and you'll only have to learn 1 extra piece on each instrument.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

Hey,

Yea thats a very good point actually. I did grade 8 flute last May and I'm doing grade 8 piano in November. So its hard to know. It must be a case of a lack of faith from my teacher!:rolleyes:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh well in that case play your 3 grade 8 flute pieces and three grade 8 piano pieces, seeing as you wont be doing a flute exam this year you'll have more time to learn an extra piano and flute piece, sorted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi piste,,

Just a point to note,, the standard required for leaving Cert music is what you would have learned in 5 years of study on your instrument..so that would bring you up to a comfortable grade 5 standard.

Grade 8 would be fine.But don't try and attempt something just because it 'sounds difficult'.. I had an experience of accompanying a student who struggled through a Concerto which he'd cut to bits to fit the time.... It's better to do an excellent grade 7 or 6 standard than to struggle through a Gr8 you've just learned If you know what I mean..

As regards 2 instruments I'd say show the examiner you're a capable and versatile musician... although I'd be hesitant in advising against your teacher as they're the one who has listened to you,,,,maybe they think you'll do a brilliant performance on that particular instrument!!

Either way it appears your in a win win situation...G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I'd do 4 and 4 if I were in your situation. I mean you're way past the standard they're expecting at the leaving cert. Apparently they make easier if you do two instruments but that depends really on the your examiner i suppose!

I was at grade 8 on piano doing my leaving and I think I did one of two grade 6 and 7 pieces just so I had a few pieces that I could really relax on. The decision is entirely up to you of course.

Did your teacher give any specific reason for wanting you to do 6 pieces on one instrument? Other than to save you the bother? I mean for a musician of Grade 8 standard the Leaving Cert isn't exactly hugely difficult in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moiragannaire

Usually its better to do two different activities, especially if you're at the same standard in both. The reason for this is if you do 6 pieces in 1 instrument, you're doing a higher level practical. If you do 4 and 4, you are actually doing 2 ordinary level practicals, which make up one higher level practical. Therefore, you will be marked slightly easier if you do 4 and 4. Also, I would advise you, as I'm sure your teacher has, to vary your pieces. For example, you've done up to Grade 8 piano, so do a classical piece, maybe a jazz, a pop etc. There are some excellent books you can get for solo piano, much more difficult than the normal piano and voice ones, which tend to be very simple. You will really maximise your marks if you show different styles, rather than the pieces you've done already for exams, whhich the examiner will have heard a lot before also.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

What they don't tell you about the practical and most music teachers don't know is that there is a time frame to play all your peices. After the time, examiners will begin to deduct marks for going over, so make sure you have an edited programme of peices if your going to play your grade 8's. From what I can remember the time frame is approx. 20 minutes for all peices to be played after which you will be penalised.
    Just a bit of heads up!
    Now I gotta pick my own peices, euch, it's such a task!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I thought they just stopped you half way through if you went over? That's what my teacher told me anyway. I don't think I was in danger of going over, anyway, one of my pieces was a mere page long. (Admittedly the rest were 3, but still.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

hey guys looking for some advice too.
    I gave up piano a year ago, I've got grade 5 done so I was wondering is grade 5 high enough standard or should I learn some harder pieces. I'm playing 4 pieces on piano and 4 on recorder. Also does anybody know the practicals will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I'm guessing you meant when the practicals will be? They're down for the two weeks beginning on the 23rd of March, same as the orals.
    Also, my teacher constantly parrots the term "5 years' class based tuition" as the expected standard, I don't know how that translates into grades though.

yeah thanks that's what I meant! I only played for 4 years, yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Ah you'll get away with that surely, sure I'm only playing guitar for 2 years and I'm not nearly as good as I should be!

I want to do well in music cos it's easier for me too well in than other stuff but the practicals are so near and I have touched an instrument in a year! I'm actually an idiot :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

i got up to grade 5 on piano, but gave up about 5 years ago.
    I took it up again last year and i'm doing 4 pieces plus the music technology =]

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I'd definitely do 2 instruments if I had the option! Being grade 8 on BOTH, you have no worries!

**I've heard rumours that the practical has been moved to May? Haven't found anything online that says this though. Can anyone confirm this for me?**

found http://boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=58553757
    so surely they are as normal (the 2weeks before Easter)?

[QUOTE

**I've heard rumours that the practical has been moved to May? Haven't found anything online that says this though. Can anyone confirm this for me?**

QUOTE]

Nah, tis only a rumour, we got the dates, and as siad above it's the same dates as the orals and other practicals.
    And, see thats the thing you have obviously gone too far over that the examiner has needed to stop you and in doing so they dock marks.
    Grade 5 peices should be fine, just pick one's that sound impressive and difficult but that you can play with ease. Make sure you feel comfortable playing them, especially knowing you will be nervous and whatever else on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

Im slighty worried about one of my pieces, im playing Piano and the jazz piece im playing is Mongoose crawl which is grade 6. Its only about 50 seconds long?! iv heard pieces need to be like a min and a half or so?!

Plenty of people play the Mongoose crawl its a really popular one, along with Take 5, don't worry about. If your still unsure play it for your teacher and see what she thinks, but from what I know alot of people play it!

Anyway today my teacher stated that 88% of people get an A in the practical bit of the exam. So chill and enjoy it :D

I finally decided how I'm gona take the practical today. Eeek going to go for the full six on one instrument :eek: Dunno if it's good idea, but sure I'll give it a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

I am playing the traditional flute. Does anyone know some nice trad pieces? My teacher might have some too actually, he loves Irish music!!

Advertisement