Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FavIcon Issue with IE

Options
  • 18-10-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm trying to implement what is commonly known as a favicon for my web site. You've all seen them but, for clarity, here's a picture of what I want:
    favicon.jpg

There are a multitude of tutorials on how this can be achieved through the use of a favicon.ico in the site's root directory and the following code in the page's head:
    [COLOR=#3366FF]<link rel="shortcut icon" href="URL OF YOUR ICON" />[/COLOR]

This did not work.

So, I went to www.w3.org in the belief they provide reliable advice. Their tutorial can be found here: http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon#GRDDL

I
    1. Created a 32x32, 8 bit png file in photoshop and uploaded it.
    2. Edited my header to read as follows:
      <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" />
        <meta name="author" content="Chez" />
        <meta name="generator" content="Dreamweaver MX 2004 (code view)" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="phenom.css" title="style" />
        <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/myicon.png" />
        <title>&#187; GarryWynne.com</title>
      </head>

This worked for Mozilla but is not working for IE. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get cross-browser compatability? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Garry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

PNG images are not supported by IE for favicons (maybe with IE 7 TBH I'm not sure)

As such why not convert the file to an icon file ? .ico ?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

You do not really need to modify pages, just drop a real icon in the root directory and name it favicon.ico and it should be recognised by most browsers. Just make sure it is the icon format, not any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The fact that it is PNG is causing the problem. saving a file in the web directory called favicon.ico (just when you are saving the file, instead of selecting jpg or whatever, just save as .ico). all lowercase.

using a rel link works too, but it's not really effective because it means the image has to be reloaded every time a page is loaded. whereas by just using favicon.ico the image is loaded once everytime the site is visited...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GarryWynne

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes, using a .ico quickly fixed the problem. This is particularly irksome as the only reason I shifted to .png in the first place was because www.w3.org says "The format of the image must be one of PNG (a W3C standard), GIF, or ICO."

Anyway, thanks again, and for anyone interested, it seems that an animated .ico will work with mozilla but not with iexplore.

Advertisement