Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Talk 60 Upgrade

• 18-10-2008 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Meteor seem to not really have a clue what they're doing.

Me and my brother are both on the Talk 60 plan, as is my friend from college.

My friend upgraded to the N95 8GB for €99 a little while ago.

And a couple of weeks ago, my brother broke his phone so he went to see if he had an upgrade. His wasn't available yet so I let him use my upgrade cause I didn't need a new phone.

Now he's been on bill pay for 12 months so I decided to upgrade my phone, but when I went into the shop, they said that the upgrade hadn't got pushed through. I rang customer care and they said, funnily enough, that you don't get upgrades on the Talk 60 plan. They couldn't explain how both my friend and brother got an upgrade on the same plan, and refused to admit that they were wrong in anyway.

I'm furious with meteor after they have clearly completely contradicted themselves and if I can sort it out on Monday and get an upgrade, then it'll be fine but otherwise, I'm gonna move to O2 or Vodafone.

Anyone else get an upgrade on the Talk 60 plan or did they say upgrades aren't available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. If they have stopped offering upgrades on Talk 60 then what exactly is the incentive to stay with them after the year contract has ended?!

I had some dodgy experiences with them in the last few months before I moved to the UK. And I must say; because there are so many more networks here, I got the impression they really go out of the way to please the customer. Free playstation3 and nokia n96 with a new contract for £35 per month (€45)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Meteor recently changed their upgrade criteria didn't they? This might explain why it's different for you then for your mates.

Re: moving to O2
    - they're had their own problems with upgrades recently, do a search here, on the O2 forum and in consumer issues here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i started a meteor contract on talk 300, and had to wait for 6months(i think or 3mo) to get it downgraded to talk 60.
    i wasnt even using the talk 60 so decided to drop to prepay. which i had to wait for the 12th month to cancel (naturally). i phoned up before the end of the 11th month and told them i was going to be cancelling and was told that i didnt need to inform them jsut to let them know before the 12th.
    Call up on the 12th and they were telling me to stay with them cos i would be eligible for an upgrade at the end...

so to answer your question i was offered an upgrade on Talk 60, yes.

to continue my experience... they kinda messed me over slightly on the helpdesk, even after i had been put through to a supervisor. telling me that i had to wait for another month to cancel, or to pay the extra month in advance. Wasnt too happy with that.
    I got that sorted out.

This would have happened either 1 or 2 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kleftangel

Right well my dad got back on to them about being refused an upgrade (account is in his name) and was told that whoever he talked to on Saturday was wrong and I am due an upgrade. Problem solved! :D

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kleftangel

Sorry to reopen this but as it turns out, not all is well. I returned to Meteor today to receive my new N95 8GB with quite a lot of excitment....... You can already see where this is going....

As previously mentioned, my friend received his within the last 12 months for the low price of €99. Guess how much they asked me for when I tried to purchase this phone, months later?

€230 with the same upgrade? Not a chance! But it seems like that is a common price from all the networks now. I was suprised when she said this and asked was she sure. She said "Yeah it's gone up recently from 150". Now I'm no scientist, but according to my math, an increase from 100, to 150 (she may have meant 100 and was recalling from memory) and then to 230, makes a 230% price increase... Seems like an awful lot for a phone who's successor is coming out either this year or early next year doesn't it?

And I can't even blame Meteor alone for this because 3, O2 and Vodafone are all charging €230 for this phone on the lowest bill pay tariff. I think it's extremely unfair but there's nothing I can do about it. I don't even have a clue if or when the price will come down and I more or less have to wait for it to, or get a less decent phone.

Man I wish we didn't have mobile phones...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kleftangel wrote: »
    Sorry to reopen this but as it turns out, not all is well. I returned to Meteor today to receive my new N95 8GB with quite a lot of excitment....... You can already see where this is going....

As previously mentioned, my friend received his within the last 12 months for the low price of €99. Guess how much they asked me for when I tried to purchase this phone, months later?

€230 with the same upgrade? Not a chance! But it seems like that is a common price from all the networks now. I was suprised when she said this and asked was she sure. She said "Yeah it's gone up recently from 150". Now I'm no scientist, but according to my math, an increase from 100, to 150 (she may have meant 100 and was recalling from memory) and then to 230, makes a 230% price increase... Seems like an awful lot for a phone who's successor is coming out either this year or early next year doesn't it?

And I can't even blame Meteor alone for this because 3, O2 and Vodafone are all charging €230 for this phone on the lowest bill pay tariff. I think it's extremely unfair but there's nothing I can do about it. I don't even have a clue if or when the price will come down and I more or less have to wait for it to, or get a less decent phone.

Man I wish we didn't have mobile phones...
    Recessions suck don't they?

Advertisement