Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do you microwave cod?

• 18-10-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I have an 800 watt microwave and want to cook one of those frozen donegal catch natural cod fillets that weigh about 130g.

What would be the ideal cooking time on full power taking into account that the fish will continue to cook for several minutes after it has been removed from the microwave.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Em... has it already been cooked and you're reheating it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

The instructions should be on the pack...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Microwaving it will make it very soggy...

No idea as to time though, are there no instructions on the pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

If you have access to an oven, it really would be better. For microwaving, it may be best to put it on a defrosting (low) setting for a bit first, for, I don't know, five minutes or so, before cooking it on high heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

If you have access to an oven, it really would be better. For microwaving, it may be best to put it on a defrosting (low) setting for a bit first, for, I don't know, five minutes or so, before cooking it on high heat.

So is it really better not to cook it from frozen? I didn't think that would matter.

Either way can anyone suggest a cooking time please! I want to avoid over cooking the fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Don't microwave it unless there are instructions on the pack telling you how to do so. You should not microwave fish in order to cook it, only to reheat it (i.e. its not ok to microwave raw fish).

nothing wrote: »
    The instructions should be on the pack...

I've tried the instructions and the fish still has a translucent appearance.

cornbb wrote: »
    You should not microwave fish in order to cook it, only to reheat it (i.e. its not ok to microwave raw fish).

why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cozmik wrote: »
    why not?
    +1
    Sounds like another microwave myth, of which there are plenty!

Substances have things called "loss factors". It is sort of a measure of how well they absorb microwaves. Different substances have different loss factors at different temperatures too.

Ice does not absorb microwaves well, water does. If you put a frozen burger in a microwave and heat on full the ice does not absorb well, the moment a spot defrosts it becomes water. This spot of water then sort of sucks all the microwaves in, making a "hot spot". Now this snowballs, the hot water defrosts the ice around it by conduction. You end up with a spot fully cooked and brown and possibly dried out and hard, while other bits are fully frozen.

To overcome this effect you should run frozen food under a hot tap to defrost it all round. Or leave it defrost in a fridge first. With fish I would just put it in a bowl with water and cover it and microwave it. This is in effect steaming & microwaving the fish. I have done this with donegal catch fillets before, lidl have a great selection of frozen unbreaded fillets too BTW.

Instructions should vary depending on how cold it is, i.e. -1C fish will cook/defrost quicker than deep frozen -18C

Guys I only have the microwave for all my cooking. I need help with this please!!

How long should I cook the cod?!?

THANKS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Dear God. Only a microwave?????

At least get yourself a combi microwave. Its a microwave, convection oven and grill all in one. It looks the same as a microwave. Cheapest costs around €150.

Do yourself a favour and buy one.

But if you buy the frozen salmon in lidl. Defrost it. squeeze some lemon juice on it. Cover in cling film. Microwave for 1 minute then stop for a minute. Do it 3 times and you should have some nicely cooked fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cozmik wrote: »
    How long should I cook the cod?!?
    Until its cooked! I am not joking, all microwaves are different, if you put it on a plate then that will change the time, also depending on the size of the plate and if it holds moisture. If you add water it will change again, if deep frozen etc.

When I microwave I just veer on the safe side, leave it on for 1mins max, then come back and check. Also with frozen stuff I often leave it settle. This stops the hot spots I mentioned. It has time for the heat to conduct to the frozen parts which then defrost.

With my fish I just stick a fork in it to make sure it is not frozen, then try flaking it out and see if there are any translucent bits left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

could consider throwing it in the microwave on like 450 for 2min or so, then fry it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

OP get yourself something other than a microwave. Im telling you, theyre giving us cancer!!!!!

Advertisement