Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone commute to UCD?

Options
  • 18-10-2008 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Wondering if there are many people who commute a good distance to UCD - i will be going next year and will be commuting 40+ miles to it each day! anyone else do this and is it doable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

That is insane! I don't think it'll be doable! You'll get so fed up of public transport, early nights and early mornings. What course are you going to be doing? Is it really worth coming here? Is there not a similar course nearer to where you are??

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

hey there, i will be studying midwifery... currently i commute 35+ miles to work everyday, so i suppose it wont be much of a difference! i will be driving to and from! will be madness, and i am sure very tough but has to be done, as UCD is the nearest college to me that does midwifery!! my husband currently does this commute everyday, it doesnt bother him in the slightest. in fact in the estate i live in the majority are communting to dublin everyday, however i know it is going to be very tough.. unfortunately i have no other option!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

my friend couldn't get accommodation in Dublin so she commutes everyday and she finds it tough, with having to get a train, luas and bus twice daily, and often at rush hour times. It also becomes a problem when she has assignments due. Suppose if you're used to it it won't be too bad, good luck with it:)

thanks mc1990! i know its gonna be tough.. we actually have family in dublin, both our families are in dublin ( my husband and i) but we live in wicklow and have children!! we are used to the commute!
    i was wondering if many people do a long commute to UCD!
    i will be driving, no public transport, thank god, although i am sure i will get sick of driving too!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

40 miles isnt that far. It depends more on where you are commuting from. Where do you live?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

try commuting over 100 km using a bus. 40 miles would be a breeze.

thanks for all the replies, i live in west wicklow... its a grand straight run, on the N81! very rarely meet traffic, except in blessington!! i know its doable for sure, as i commute almost this to work, and my husband commutes to the churchtown/rathfarnham area everyday, not a bother to him.. was just curious to see if many commute a good distance to UCD!
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i commute from blessington...it takes about 40mins except in the morning rush hour, then you just have to leave earlier and beat the traffic...aim to be in for 08:30 or so.

thanks for that mac123 - can i ask you, do u drive there and if so where do you park? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

We're in wicklow (34 miles from UCD according to google, 40-60 mins) and my wife is studying midwifery in UCD. The majority of her time is spent in Holles St hospital which is obviously further for both of you.

I'll send her a link to this thread and get her to fill you in tomorrow. She's asleep now, something to do with having to leave at 6.30 in the morning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

It's less than 1 hour now with all the new roads, but I'm sure you know that. The only problem will be parking...

Chet T16 wrote: »
    We're in wicklow (34 miles from UCD according to google, 40-60 mins) and my wife is studying midwifery in UCD. The majority of her time is spent in Holles St hospital which is obviously further for both of you.

I'll send her a link to this thread and get her to fill you in tomorrow. She's asleep now, something to do with having to leave at 6.30 in the morning ;)

thanks a lot for that, would LOVE to hear from her, please pass this mail on to her.. would love to hear how the commuting goes, but also how her course is going.. thank u so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Have you done your nursing or will you be going straight to midwifery?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Have you done your nursing or will you be going straight to midwifery?

hey there, no i have not done general nursing, i will be doing direct into midwifery -4 years in UCD!

did your wife do general nursing first?

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    thanks for that mac123 - can i ask you, do u drive there and if so where do you park? thanks

yeah i drive...i take the mountain road from brittas to bohernabreena and then take the m50 at from ballycullan to the dundrum or sometimes the stillorgan exit. i dont have to be in too early most days so i miss the traffic alot so it usually takes about 40mins. im in for 9 once a week and i leave home around half 7 and arrive in college about half 8...if i leave any later il be late with traffic!!
    parking is free in ucd but there just isnt enough spaces, if you get in for half 9you should get one though. also people start to clear out after lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

this makes me angry... u guys are livin what... 30 sumthin miles away an it takes u less than an hour t get t ucd.. i live in dublin in clondalkin an spend a joyous 1hr 50 mins travellin to ucd... n even longer gettin home... pain in the ass :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

McNuggy wrote: »
    this makes me angry... u guys are livin what... 30 sumthin miles away an it takes u less than an hour t get t ucd.. i live in dublin in clondalkin an spend a joyous 1hr 50 mins travellin to ucd... n even longer gettin home... pain in the ass :(

I'm the same. I live over the north side of Dublin and it take about that to get to UCD.

McNuggy wrote: »

yeah that sucks alright, one of my mates is from kingswood, he has to get the luas into town and then the 10 out to ucd! he probably spends more time commuting than he does in college;)

Advertisement