Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baffled highly-experienced PC user.... No Sound, yet no apparent problems... !!??

• 18-10-2008 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3
    Dell Dimension 4700

I'm a highly experienced PC, Windows and Windows XP user, and this one has me totally baffled. The Windows Help program is absolutely useless, as the Microsoft website often is, and I've found nowhere online at all the can help me figure this out.

Yesterday, my PC was working perfectly. I was listening to music, both CDs and MP3s, and the system sounds were there as always.

Today I turned on the PC and there is NO SOUND. There is no sound from the PC speakers or from the headphones. All of my drivers are there and are working properly and are up-to-date. Device Manager lists all of my drivers, and they are all listed as Enabled and Working Properly. There are no driver conflicts either. I have attached a screen-grab of my device manager, as well as the volume control panel.

In the Setup screen, I have the Integrated Audio card set as "On."

I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out, all help appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Any loose cables? Your volumes aren't exactly low there either. Odd! Do headphones work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

See if you downloaded a recent windows update to do with hardware and if so roll back driver. If not try getting the latest drivers off the dell site and uninstall and reinstall with the new drivers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

system restore is a good option for weird stuff or stuff that you could make worse by messing around - system restore may also say what was changed recently too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

I didn't install or update anything in between the time the sound was working perfectly and the time it suddenly stopped working.

I just tried it again there. The headphone jack at the front of the pc is now suddenly providing sound again. However the speaker socket at the back of the pc is still providing no sound at all.
    :-/
    This one really has me going a little bit insane!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

maybe the soundcard is on the way out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Any chance your cable is plugged into the integrated m/b output jack and not your sound card jack?
    I've done this. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Haha. Believe me, all the dumbest things you can think of, I've probably done them and spent hours wondering why something wasn't working. But this time, I've exhausted all options. Looks like it probably is the sound card. The computer is over 4 years old after all.

I'll ring Dell in the morning, see if they can figure it for me. Next step is figuring out how to take the PC apart and install a new sound card because while my experience with computer software is high enough to know what's wrong and what's not, I've almost no idea what to do when it comes to the inside of a PC! Eeek!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the card is ancient then it might have a volume control
    otherwise it might be a doggy cable, wiggle the cable at each end to see if it comes/goes again

Have you a PCI sound card or an intergrated one ?

If you have a PCI sound card then enter the Bios screen on boot up and set the integrated audio to "OFF".

If you only have an intergrated one did you lose sound after SP3 was installed, if so I suggest you uninstall SP3, uninstall the sound driver and reboot the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Believe it or not what can happen is that the card thinks something is plugged in via the headphones and it doesnt output through the speakers.. that one baffled me for ages until I dusted everything down one evening and suddenly I had sound again..

• Advertisement
Advertisement