Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

paintwork on a hyundai coupe

Options
  • 18-10-2008 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi All,

Got a 01 hyundai coupe SE last may, paintwork was perfect apart from a few tiny stone chips which were covered.

On thursday my OH had my car and got it washed. It was a manual wash, a guy with a powerwasher. He then picked me up from work and when got back home i noticed the paint had peeled off on 3 different places on the car, the front bumper, the back bumper and on the plastic bit on the passenger side. Its not much on the front bumper, but the side, well thats about a 2x5cm big and the back bumper is a bit smaller and its peeling in a place where it couldnt of gotten hit by a stone. the paint is just peeling. Went back to where got the car washed and the guy told me that they use a standard car washer and have never had a problem before. he said its a problem with the type of paint they used to respray it!!! i know that the car had never been reported in a crash in ireland and cartell says it hasnt been crashed in the UK either.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem with a Hyundai coupe before and any advice would be much appreciated. Dont know what my next step is. No warrenty on the car from where i bought either :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds to me like your car had a poor crash repair job done on it previously.

Did you buy privately or from a dealer? Did you have the car checked before buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had an '02 Coupe and the paint was very weak on it too, especially on the side skirts - power washer peeled some off there. It also seemed to be more susceptible to stone chips than usual. And that wasn't resprayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

just because it wasnt "crashed" dosnt mean it hasnt mad panels re-sprayed. all it takes is to scrape a bumper off a wall to get it re-sprayed, now thats hardly going to be on cartell is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Got it from a dealer, had my OH's brother have a look at it before i parted with any money. Had a 3month warrenty with it, had a bearing go about 3 weeks after i got it which was covered and havent had any other trouble with it until now. Did cartell before i got it too. really really sickened about it now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

orlyice wrote: »
    Got it from a dealer, had my OH's brother have a look at it before i parted with any money. Had a 3month warrenty with it, had a bearing go about 3 weeks after i got it which was covered and havent had any other trouble with it until now. Did cartell before i got it too. really really sickened about it now :(

Any good body shop will be able to tell you if it has been crash repaired by inspecting it. It is more likely to have had a cosmetic overspray to cover up chips, scratches etc. If the car isn't prepared properly the paint doesn't bond as well, hence power washing taking it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Ive power washed a good few Hyundai's (coupe's/Lantras/Elantras/I30's) in my time, and have never peeled paint off any of them. TBH it does sound like your car was damaged and resprayed at some stage.

actually there was one time where the lacquer was peeling off the mirror of a 99 Lantra but that was because the mirror was clipped at some stage.

Advertisement