Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I modify the network connection status window?

• 18-10-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

See where it says Bytes and gives the values for Sent and Received? I'd like to modify this so that it displays them as MB. I know it's easy to do a rough conversion by looking at it but would really like to update the display if at all possible.

Any ideas?

++ edit - I should mention it's Windows XP Professional SP2

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I don't think you can

but you could just ignore the numbers after the comma

81,254bytes = 81KB = 0.08 MB

and besides I'm not sure if they count handshaking traffic , dns lookups and all the other bytes that are additional to anything you download yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Yah I know how to convert in my head roughly but I just would prefer MB there for ease of reference for my broadband and my phone connection.

Not sure why handshaking / DNS lookups are relevant here - are you saying Windows doesn't include them and Mobile ISP might? Or are you saying the opposite?

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check your IPSs terms and conditions to see if they are defining a megabyte as MB or MiB
    yes they will count any traffic , every piece of data you receive will have headers and ack packets and dns is used for every new web page

the isp ususally has a counter on their site that is the one that matters - varies ask in broadband forum

i'm getting side tracked a little here. Mainly i'm looking to just change the display.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

its not possible without violating your software agreement, Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

You could try a using one of the data counter programs as described in this thread

I've used the first one Netmeter its a decent little program that can be set to monitor all or individual interfaces and works on all versions of windows incl Vista, though it does measure in KB or KiB as opposed to MB/MiB. Hope this helps

It all sounded so simple when I started the thread .. thinking to myself "surely I can just edit one or two little registry entrys ..".

Thanks for the input lads.

Advertisement