Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02s speed and edge signal

Options
  • 18-10-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Just got the 02 broadband and today around the whole of my house i was picking up the what I see as the rubbish Edge signal. I had 96% signal strength and it was utter crap. Same and sometimes worse than my dial up.

However i found that in a certain area of my house I was picking up the hspa or wsp something or other and the 02 icon was blue and the speed was fantastic. Could use youtube no problem and pages loaded really quickly.

Now for some reason in the same spot all i can pick up is the edge signal again. Are there any factors that effect the signal strength and is there away to just turn off accepting the edge signal all together as its muck?? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

go into settings and conection type, and choose from, GPRS prefered, GPRS only, 3g prefered, 3g only, on mine you can only choose when not connected

although geograghical location, distance from a cell, all affect signal, conection type etc,

i'm currently in a edge/gprs area acording to the coverage availabilty map, but i'm faceing a bay, the signal carries better over water, and am on one bar UMTS/HSDPA, and was steaming live football on it earlier, move to another part of the house, and it could go back to edge

not sure if any of that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

At the top all it says is file,operation, tools and help

Ive checked all those tabs and what they are and their doesnt seem to be any place to choose??

Every other spot of the house was edge untill i sat down in a chair beside my tv and noticed it went blue and then I had it blue all day apart from once or twice when it went green(edge signal) but it always went back to the hdspa and the other quick signal. light blue and dark blue.

It was so good that I was streaming the liverpool wigan game with only bits of stutter. Same spot same chair now and all i can get is the edge signal again. Would curtains closed etc have any effect? Because from what ive seen its only the armrest of the chair area that I can pick up the blue signal...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have you checked your user manual, see if there is a section on connection type, i have my modem almost a year, think with the more recent ones , the connection stats, ie, signal/network/duration/volume window appears differently

sorry cant help ya any more

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dialup and worse speeds are usually GPRS, not EDGE.

GSM 14.4k
    2 slot GSM 28.2k
    GPRS (GSM Based) about 50k
    EDGE (GSM Based) up to 240k approx
    3G up to 350k approx
    HSDPA (3G based) up to 1800K, 3600k or 7200k depending on mast/system

These speeds can be independent of signal level. Where I live 700k is typical. Obviously it's HSDPA. Note the "up to". The HSDPA unlike GSM is speed shared amongst ALL users of a sector. Thus with 20 solid users it can be slower than EDGE. At 20 users HSDPA could drop to 90kbps per user!

Speeds depend on number of voice calls, number of data calls, type of system available, amount of backhaul (speed shared by all calls from mast to the main routers/system), signal level, amount of interference, capacity to Internet of main routers, internet path to your destination and speed of the server your application is connecting to.

The GSM/GPRS/EDGE uses 900MHz or 1800MHz and 3G/HSDPA uses 2100MHz. The 900MHz passes from mast to indoors the easiest and the 2100MHz is most easily blocked by obstructions and reduced by distance quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Nope when Im on edge the speeds are terrible. Id have a signal strength of 96% or so but the speeds are like 3kbs and lower.

Im back in the same spot and its picked up the blue signal again and its flying.
    Ive only one bar or so of WCDMA and HSPA between 50kbs and 70kbs which to me is great because ive been stuck with dial up for so long.

Im reckoning its the time of night aswell because im only back from the pub now and its sound but at around 7 it wouldnt pick up any other signal apart from edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It seems like contention is a big issue where you are.

Roughly whereabouts are you using the modem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Whenever I get an EDGE signal, speed varies between OK and nothing at all, even with full signal strength. Not sure why, but it mostly seems crap on EDGE.

If you have the E220 modem, you can select the connection type in the software. I haven't seen the same option on the software that comes with the other modems though (E270 anyway). If you have one of these modems, you may not be able to force it to 3G only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Now someone knows how i feel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

You have to look for certain sweet spots where to leave your Modem. I have an E220 modem and I use the long cable that came with it. Therefore; I can move it around slightly. A little bit of movement makes a huge amount of difference.
    If I switch on the pc and the light is green on the modem, all I need do is to move it slightly and wait for it to turn blue. Then; returning it to the spot where I had it when turning on the pc, it usually stays blue.
    It's all a bit odd but very non-hassle. It keeps my connection stable and at very grand speeds.

So... just move the modem slightly and wait for it to eventually turn to blue. A long cable helps, otherwise you're fcuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have o2 and recently it has gone downhill here in carlow. I used to get minimum of 700kbps at this time in the evenings but now it is as bad as three used to be! It is well below dial up and certainly well below the 500kbps o2 told me they were guaranteed by the technicians providing the service. They are investigating but have said it will take at least 5 days before i get any response.
    I am using my three phone to post this as i have tried and failed to load boards using o2 broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Foggy you should have stayed with 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Look at the maths to get that 500k means that no more than 14 other persons share your sector of your mast .

Most sectors of mosts masts are oversold in the evenings so they will be crap between 7-9pm every day .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

foggy_lad wrote: »
    well below the 500kbps o2 told me they were guaranteed by the technicians providing the service.

Comedy gold. Wouldn't it be lovely to get that in writing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Assuming everyone has a perfect signal and the HSDPA has no overhead:
    3600Kbps mast about 25 connections max = 144kbps

Typical average signal and the real HSDPA overhead:
    3600Kbps mast about 25 connections max about 75kbps

The 7.2Mbps speed allows twice as many connections so the fully loaded speeds are the same.

Unless O2 are going to limit sectors to FIVE ONLY simultaneous connections, they can't whatsoever assure minimum of 500kbps. Even then if your signal is poor it can drop to less than 200kbps.

Advertisement