Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have savings should not

Options
  • 18-10-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

My dad is in his eighties and worked night shift for the later part of the twentieth century in a state job paying his fair share of tax. Before that he worked in England during WW2 on Churchill tanks as an engineer. He never drank or smoked cigarettes, didn't gamble or blow his money on flash cars. Didn't go crazy on holidays to Spain like most people do twice a year nowadays, but maybe the odd Europe camping trip here and there. He raised a big family and was wise with his cash as he went through the recessions and fuel crisis of the 70's and 80's.

So after paying tax all of his life his wife, my mother had to go into a nursing home and he now gets trivial support from the government towards this expense - Because he has savings !!! And now this budget has come in he is probably going to get hit twice and drained of every bit of savings he spent almost half a century earning, after tax.

So the moral of the story is:

Blow all your money on drink, drugs, booze, horses, flash holidays twice a year because if you don't, the government will take it from you. Don't be fooled into thinking anything different - you are better off.

If you are in disagreement by this governments recent decision. Write to your local TD and ask them to address the issue in the Dail. Even if there is a reversal, write anyway. The stress that this budget has caused to the elderly in this country is an outrage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,385 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Kline wrote: »
    My dad is in his eighties and worked night shift for the later part of the twentieth century in a state job paying his fair share of tax. Before that he worked in England during WW2 on Churchill tanks as an engineer. He never drank or smoked cigarettes, didn't gamble or blow his money on flash cars. Didn't go crazy on holidays to Spain like most people do twice a year nowadays, but maybe the odd Europe camping trip here and there. He raised a big family and was wise with his cash as he went through the recessions and fuel crisis of the 70's and 80's.

So after paying tax all of his life his wife, my mother had to go into a nursing home and he now gets trivial support from the government towards this expense - Because he has savings !!! And now this budget has come in he is probably going to get hit twice and drained of every bit of savings he spent almost half a century earning, after tax.

So the moral of the story is:

Blow all your money on drink, drugs, booze, horses, flash holidays twice a year because if you don't, the government will take it from you. Don't be fooled into thinking anything different - you are better off.

If you are in disagreement by this governments recent decision. Write to your local TD and ask them to address the issue in the Dail. Even if there is a reversal, write anyway. The stress that this budget has caused to the elderly in this country is an outrage.

The moral of the story is that gov panders to the masses and treats savers as milk cows, if this is so then your relative should have been aware of this and taken measures to move his savings "off balance sheet"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kline

I agree with what your saying from a self preservation point of view however, why should an elderly person have to evade the government and more than likely feel as though they were a criminal by hiding their savings? The majority of elderly people like to have a simple life and have come to that point in their lives where they feel that honesty is their truth. This escape and evasion technique is actually the cause of the whole financial crisis in the first place by altering balance sheets to make them look different to their readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I agree with what your saying from a self preservation point of view however, why should an elderly person have to evade the government and more than likely feel as though they were a criminal by hiding their savings? The majority of elderly people like to have a simple life and have come to that point in their lives where they feel that honesty is their truth. This escape and evasion technique is actually the cause of the whole financial crisis in the first place by altering balance sheets to make them look different to their readers.

Just how much savings are we talking here. Anything upwards of €40-€50k is fair game I think. I mean what was it put away for if not to make provision for the costs of old age?
    Anything up to €50k ish should be backed up by state support.

However there is now a situation where people are living 20 years after retirement that didn't exist before so we're likely to see a major shift towards partial support and a complete abandonment of full support for anyone with an income above a state pension, which we can barely afford to sustain as it is.

A nursing home for anyone needing full time care is on average 5k+ per months. If you have savings you are at the bottom of the list for public care. 40k - 50k is eight to ten months in a private nursing home, then you might be eligible to be on the list for public care, if you are lucky you might get a place. And then the medical card is removed?

So our government squanders billions on over-budgeted projects such as the port tunnel and way over budgeted roads system to the tune of billions of euros. It pushes a property market to the extremes and then bails the banks who are responsible with their hedge fund packages.

And senior citizens pay for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Why should your father (or mother) who raised a large family have to be in a nursing home? One of his children should take him/her in.

That's what would have happened in the pre welfare state days, and in my opinion, is what should still happen

• Advertisement

A nursing home for anyone needing full time care is on average 5k+ per months. If you have savings you are at the bottom of the list for public care. 40k - 50k is eight to ten months in a private nursing home, then you might be eligible to be on the list for public care, if you are lucky you might get a place. And then the medical card is removed?

So our government squanders billions on over-budgeted projects such as the port tunnel and way over budgeted roads system to the tune of billions of euros. It pushes a property market to the extremes and then bails the banks who are responsible with their hedge fund packages.

And senior citizens pay for it !

I agree with a lot of the sentiment there. BUT FOR F*CK SAKE,

can people get it inot their heads that the banks....none of them....have gotten ONE CENT from the taxpayer.

€5k does seem like an overbudgeted price on the issue of overbudgeting.
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Why should your father (or mother) who raised a large family have to be in a nursing home? One of his children should take him/her in.

That's what would have happened in the pre welfare state days, and in my opinion, is what should still happen
    Similar situation with a neighbour. She's in her 80s and fine on her own during the day, but one of her kids stays with her EVERY night.

Some people have illnesses that require full time care such as stroke victims, whom can require two full time nurses 24 / 7 depending on the seriousness of their illness. What you are suggesting is a valid point but not necessarily a viable one in every circumstance.

And I think the "For Fu*k sake" comment on the banks is slightly pro-banks. By receiving a guarantee from the government, they are indirectly benefiting in that they are not going bust like Iceland banks (Yet) and they secure the present and future business (deposits ) because the tax payers are backing them.

Some people have illnesses that require full time care such as stroke victims, whom can require two full time nurses 24 / 7 depending on the seriousness of their illness. What you are suggesting is a valid point but not necessarily a viable one in every circumstance.

And I think the "For Fu*k sake" comment on the banks is slightly pro-banks. By receiving a guarantee from the government, they are indirectly benefiting in that they are not going bust like Iceland banks (Yet) and they secure the present and future business (deposits ) because the tax payers are backing them.

And what about your parents savings? Would you like to see them go under with a bank.

Our guarantee scheme is the most imaginative, least expensive option put up anywhere on the planet, and has been copied endlessly since it was put into effect.

It was necessary, because without the builders debts, the banks WOULD have gone under and the state would be left facing the unnecessary bill of stumping up for all private deposits had it not been done.

I reckon there's short term pain here, but the ultimate goal of the long term gain is state supported respite for stroke sufferers and other people needing rehabilitative care for a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

nipplenuts wrote: »

In pre-welfare days people died a lot younger of other diseases and so we were a lot less exposed to the range of advanced age difficulties that we see nowadays. This is the price we pay for advances in medicine. Contrary to what you might think there is no simple answer to this. Some will just die in their sleep , still fully lucid, whereas others can lose their mobility, bodily functions and identity and end up needing that care.

A friend of mine in Austria had a stroke and how he described his care compared to the Irish care system makes the Irish Care system seem like a back street garage - And that doesn't just apply to stroke victims. You ask anyone in that line of work and you'll get the same answer "Ireland doesn't cater". You get pockets here and there but thats about it.

If we are tightening things up, hit every where else, but sorry guys, pointing the finger at the elderly is just "wrong".

• Advertisement

A friend of mine in Austria had a stroke and how he described his care compared to the Irish care system makes the Irish Care system seem like a back street garage - And that doesn't just apply to stroke victims. You ask anyone in that line of work and you'll get the same answer "Ireland doesn't cater". You get pockets here and there but thats about it.

If we are tightening things up, hit every where else, but sorry guys, pointing the finger at the elderly is just "wrong".

And we'll never have that level of care as long as we waste money on paying the medical bills of the wealthy just because they're over 70.

It's not pointing the finger, it's facing up to the facts.

What's wrong is allowing kids to go hungry because we have to pay €100m to give old people with one of the most generous state pensions in the developed world free healthcare, what's wrong is SO MANY THINGS, but what is not wrong is means test the medical card for the over 70s.

ninty9er wrote: »
    And we'll never have that level of care as long as we waste money on paying the medical bills of the wealthy just because they're over 70.

It's not pointing the finger, it's facing up to the facts.

What's wrong is allowing kids to go hungry because we have to pay €100m to give old people with one of the most generous state pensions in the developed world free healthcare, what's wrong is SO MANY THINGS, but what is not wrong is means test the medical card for the over 70s.

"I'll counter your vulnerable group with one of my own."

This just reinforces the belief in the mean-mindedness of the approach of FF/Govt and the treatment of large groups of people as just costs to be cut.

Neither argument is convincing but the concern for the over 70s , as even some of your own County Councillors are aware, is that they believe they are being unfairly targeted and some are in a great degree of agitation about it.

Whatever way you want to spin this they have made an unholy mess of it and thrown up a now effectively defunct(if one B Cowan is to be believed) but even more confusing mess of a proposal, which at present looks set to be rejected by your own party.

It would not matter how much money this government had, it would find a way of not spending it on proper Health Care. No matter how much this government saved, it would not create an adequate health care system let alone a good health care system.

Do you think now that the government has decided to hit the elderly, that the savings are going to help those "kids going hungry" - I don't even doubt it, its a definite "No".

Those savings are going to filter into the same melting pot of corruption and mis-management that is ever present in this country.

It is not the wealthy that this is going to hit. Its the average person who has worked their a*ss off all their lives. The wealthy don't bother their bo*lox with a medical card because you have to wait 6 months for an appointment and fill out this and that form.

It is not the wealthy that this is going to hit. Its the average person who has worked their a*ss off all their lives. The wealthy don't bother their bo*lox with a medical card because you have to wait 6 months for an appointment and fill out this and that form.

It doesn't matter if they never use it. It's still costing the state a fortune for them to have one.

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

One major issues here is the amount that the doctors are being paid to run the medical card system. Perhaps if they didn't demand such high figures, this would be less of an issue and the huge amounts of money disappearing into the health system would be smaller.

I don't understand why doctors and consultants are allowed to hold our health care system to ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

taconnol wrote: »
    I don't understand why doctors and consultants are allowed to hold our health care system to ransom.

Probably because a Health system doesn't work without them. Its sad that they are taking advantage of their incredibly strong bargaining position to this effect but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

taconnol wrote: »
    One major issues here is the amount that the doctors are being paid to run the medical card system. Perhaps if they didn't demand such high figures, this would be less of an issue and the huge amounts of money disappearing into the health system would be smaller.

I agree, and this should have been tackled first, before the elderly were targeted. But no, that would have involved the Government facing down vested interests, rather like the public service cuts that didn't happen either.

Whatever about means testing for medical cards, at the very least those who currently have them should be allowed to keep them. The reason being, many over 70 but better off, given a medical card by this government, expected (reasonably) to have it for life, and therefore cancelled their private health insurance. Now, they have to reapply, and any existing conditions that they suffer from either will not be covered, or will cost them an absolute fortune to insure.

Breezer wrote: »
    Whatever about means testing for medical cards, at the very least those who currently have them should be allowed to keep them. The reason being, many over 70 but better off, given a medical card by this government, expected (reasonably) to have it for life, and therefore cancelled their private health insurance. Now, they have to reapply, and any existing conditions that they suffer from either will not be covered, or will cost them an absolute fortune to insure.
    I think you're overestimating the amount of people who cancelled private care. They would have used the medical card to see a GP but private insurance for hospital stays.

I do agree with targeting doctors too though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Probably because a Health system doesn't work without them. Its sad that they are taking advantage of their incredibly strong bargaining position to this effect but what can you do?

Yeah..I think they tried to get higher salaries a few years ago and Harney faced them down so she gets a bit of my respect for doing that.

But it isn't just about the salaries. A friend of mine is a doctor in St James in Dublin and he said that basically consultants are allowed to use public facilities for free to run their own private clinics. This is something that consultants in the UK have to pay for.

I don't know what can be done about it at this stage..it's much easier not to give something in the first place than take it away. I mean I'm all for rewarding responsibility with a higher salary but..it just smacks of the same sort of over-the-top salaries that all these top bank execs earn. Does one person really need 10 times the average industrial wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

ninty9er wrote: »

So anybody getting 1 cent more than the state pension is wealthy? Get a grip. €240 a week does not go far.

Nobody cares if the really wealthy lose their medical card but it's the levels that are the issue. I don't think anyone will shed a tear if Gay Byrne loses his medical card.

A major boo boo by this government and one which is going to cost them a lot of votes and rightly so.

• Advertisement

^^ Yes I agree with you there TheBigLebowski.

But there are two issues in my opinion. Firstly the levels are far too low and secondly the way the budget was announced with few details has left thousands and thousands of people over 70 and their carers extremely worried and having no idea how this measure is going to affect them.

It was the same with the car park measure, people didn't know who was going to be paying it:the employee or the employer. And same with the bank bailout. IMO it's symptomatic of FF's disregard for the electorate as they have failed to show us even minimal levels of respect either by assuming we don't care about details or by just being so bloody shoddy about the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The free medical cards for over-70s should stay. They're more efficient, and they keep people out of full-time care for longer, so they're cheaper.

As for savings, what I'm hearing is that everyone is shrugging and spending their savings - a lot of it for sensible stuff like insulating the roof, at the moment, but basically the savings of the country are being spent.

This is what happens when you have a government made up of the cleverest boys and girls in the class. No common sense.

luckat wrote: »
    The free medical cards for over-70s should stay. They're more efficient, and they keep people out of full-time care for longer, so they're cheaper.

This is what happens when you have a government made up of the cleverest boys and girls in the class. No common sense.

Thank you The Big Lebowski, Tacconol and Luckat. I was beginning to get disillusioned with the heartless "Balance Sheet" orientated attitudes in this forum. Hitler had a balance sheet too and he called it euthanasia - Maybe the Fianna Fail government should just come straight out and up front with ze master plan and bring out ze final solution - "Old people are costing this government too much. . lets get rid of them"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Well, I'm a wealthy plutocrat earning nearly €23,000 per year - almost double the amount that would put me out of range for the free medical card. I can afford my kindly patronising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Maybe the Fianna Fail government should just come straight out and up front with ze master plan and bring out ze final solution - "Old people are costing this government too much. . lets get rid of them"
    Fiana Fail could defuse this issue by backing down on the medical card scrappage for the over 70ies and makie a secret deal with the IMO to prescribe certain drugs that will prematurely terminate the lives off the old folk. This would be a master plan and would save millions and would go virtually unnoticed. :D

Fiana Fail could defuse this issue by backing down on the medical card scrappage for the over 70ies and makie a secret deal with the IMO to prescribe certain drugs that will prematurely terminate the lives off the old folk. This would be a master plan and would save millions and would go virtually unnoticed. :D

You might not be far off the mark. Looks like they are backing down. Problem is that pharmaceuticals are such big business - and their sales force are guess who? - Your local GP dishing out perscriptions to beat the band.

Harney has just ruled out negotiations with the IMO over doctor's pay for the medical card scheme. Now who are the real sacred cows?

Another one resigning from FF - The Ship is sinking !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Oh, I sincerely hope so :)

• Advertisement

A councillor it appears, not a TD.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidcwgbsnau/

As for the Harney story, there are competition issues to the Govt renegotiating with IMO.

Advertisement