Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French in UCD ?

Options
  • 18-10-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

What's it like ? :) I'm wanting to do it next year and is there a big step up from leaving cert ? And what's involved in it too, also how much do u need to pass !

also, is the website wrong but are all lectures 50 minutes long?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

allez tout droit, tournez a gauche, et voila! le pamplemousse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

passive wrote: »
    allez tout droit, tournez a gauche, et voila! le pamplemousse!

..............bien sur !! merci :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

De rien ;). I don't study French in UCD though.. so I can't really speak for it. But I'd suggest going to live in France for a bit.. turned me from incomprehensible to passable in French, and generally I think textbook learning can't come close to immersion when it comes to languages. Try get summer work en France after your leaving cert, you shouldn't have any trouble with the courses then, and could work more towards perfection than passing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

passive wrote: »
    De rien ;). I don't study French in UCD though.. so I can't really speak for it. But I'd suggest going to live in France for a bit.. turned me from incomprehensible to passable in French, and generally I think textbook learning can't come close to immersion when it comes to languages. Try get summer work en France after your leaving cert, you shouldn't have any trouble with the courses then, and could work more towards perfection than passing!

i've an application made out to disney land paris all ready to go :P but the only problem then is that I won't be able to afford h-actually going to ucd ! :) but thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Winwood

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    i've an application made out to disney land paris all ready to go :P but the only problem then is that I won't be able to afford h-actually going to ucd ! :) but thanks anyway

Disneyland Paris was described as a cultural Chernobyl by a French minister when it was set up and tbh it's about as French as New York so you're not missing out on much :)

As far as French in UCD goes, lectures are 50 mins and the French isn't too difficult. As long as you have done French before, meet any requirements and go to lectures (which is more effort than you may think) you'll be fine. There is French Literature involved which you won't be used to but don't let that put you off.

Also, look into International Arts or any arts program with an Erasmus year because it really is worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Yeah, what winwood says is right. I've just started first year Arts international with French, so my third year will be abroad (which is pretty great).
    The grammar isn't too hard, just more detailed than leaving cert. But if you've even understood half of the leaving cert stuff you should be grand. We just had our first grammar test yesterday, which counts for 30% of the module, and it was fine.
    The literature is really interesting, but it is new, and for the first while it can be slow to get through it with the dictionary. But that certainly shouldn't put you off. It's rewarding, and you improve pretty quickly.
    I'd encourage you to go for it. Bonne chance.

Advertisement