Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rock Band is not just a game..

• 18-10-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

...it also (if you have enough time on your hands) helps isolate tracks.

Link

wow, old metallica is kinda sloppy (not james)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Checked out Cliffs bass playing, not 100% shredperfect but its good enough to fit into the mix. In terms of recording your going to have that pressure not to make any mistakes whatsoever which is kinda self sabotaging. For a recording its fairly decent and in the mix the errors don't show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Checked out Cliffs bass playing, not 100% shredperfect but its good enough to fit into the mix. In terms of recording your going to have that pressure not to make any mistakes whatsoever which is kinda self sabotaging. For a recording its fairly decent and in the mix the errors don't show.

It doesn't sound like Cliff's playing to me. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Thats pretty class, burned 1.5hrs last night listening to those. Funny how "non-metal" lars' drums sound on MOP and RTL. Also, his drum hits generally sound very soft. The bassline from RTL was a great treat, some crazy funky stuff going on and a little bit of waa for good measure.

Other observations:

Amazing how $hit the bass sounds on by itself but works well in the mix, when its there haha.
    Man did those guitar amps get a death on MOP RTL and AJAFA or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Would be nice then if they could manage to isolate Jasons bass track on dyers eve and compare how he's playing to Cliff's playing Battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Stev_o wrote: »
    Would be nice then if they could manage to isolate Jasons bass track on dyers eve and compare how he's playing to Cliff's playing Battery.

my bet is its very much like cliffs, is so far as hes not following the guitar exactly

@dord: i know what you mean, i thought that at first too. whats this dirty sloppy bassline? thats not cliff!!! but i ripped the drums and bass and put em into cubase....they synch perfectly...and some of the things hes playing are what i remember from the offical tab.

the thing is, like most metallica albums, the drums were recorded and edited first, the everyone else played to that. cliff sounds sloppy on his own, but perfect with lars....the old adage is true: as long as we're all out of time together no one will notice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

my bet is its very much like cliffs, is so far as hes not following the guitar exactly

@dord: i know what you mean, i thought that at first too. whats this dirty sloppy bassline? thats not cliff!!! but i ripped the drums and bass and put em into cubase....they synch perfectly...and some of the things hes playing are what i remember from the offical tab.

the thing is, like most metallica albums, the drums were recorded and edited first, the everyone else played to that. cliff sounds sloppy on his own, but perfect with lars....the old adage is true: as long as we're all out of time together no one will notice!!
    Id say it is cliffs, a lot of people romantisise him in my opinion, sure he was a great bass player and a creator of music but i dunno how hed fare technically against Rob or Jason. Might be a very unpopular thing to say but its probrably true.

Another thing you have to remember is that metallica didnt have the amont of time that people have in the studios these days or any of the fancy "studio magic" to fix mistakes in playing. I cant remember how long MOP was recorded over but i think it was over a short period of time meaning that they had to get everything down as quickly as possible or take the best effort.

September 1985–December 1985 at Sweet Silence Studios in Copenhagen, Denmark

hmmm, a decent amount of time i think.

Was that time for writing and recording and mastering, or just laying down the tracks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

well, I had fun jamming RTL with Cliff. A+

Patricide wrote: »
    Was that time for writing and recording and mastering, or just laying down the tracks?

at a guess i'd say recording and mixing only. but i could be wrong.

• Advertisement

heres my attempt at a bit of "justice for jason"

heres my attempt at a bit of "justice for jason"

Sounds ace, why o lord why wont they remix that album with more o jasons bass.

Advertisement