Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help if you can

Options
  • 18-10-2008 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi boards, don't know where else to turn, in fact don't even know where I should post this. I am looking for the name of a song and artists.
    (A particular song and artist)
    It is a well known song play on late night shows, a nice weepy song about a guy writing to his girl friend in England asking does she
    "still need television to send her fast asleep" and "how are your friends in England" and "oh by the way how is your broken heart" the song goes on and refers to "Robert Browning" and how he must have felt when he wrote a certain line.

The singer is male american. I know I should know this one but I just cann't the title of the song or the singer.

Anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I know the song OP it also has the words '' keats and william wordsworth '' and '' i miss you , i really do '' in it .Am i right ? ..bare with me :)

It might be the late Dan Fogleberg .

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

hi latchyco thats the right song alright.

Note to modes I only now see that you have a special tread for this type of query. sorry for not using it can you transfer this to the right home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It's called Home Thoughts from Abroad and it's by Clifford T. Ward, from his album Home Thoughts, released in 1973. Not an American, Ward was English - born in Worcestershire in 1944. He died from pneumonia in 2001 after a lengthy battle with multiple sclerosis.
    Home Thoughts from Abroad (the song) is probably most readily available on a compilation CD, Gaye and Other Stories, although Home Thoughts (the original album) may still be available on CD.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

delbertgrady, thank you very much. Boards comes through again.

It's called Home Thoughts from Abroad and it's by Clifford T. Ward, from his album Home Thoughts, released in 1973. Not an American, Ward was English - born in Worcestershire in 1944. He died from pneumonia in 2001 after a lengthy battle with multiple sclerosis.
    Home Thoughts from Abroad (the song) is probably most readily available on a compilation CD, Gaye and Other Stories, although Home Thoughts (the original album) may still be available on CD.
    Actually cant believe i forgot that cos he came into my head after i logged out last night and he had that distingtive voice to .Remember he had a hit with ' Your a lady ' .Think his lyrics were more poetic than pop .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I think you're thinking of You're a Lady by Peter Skellern, which is a similar vintage. Clifford's (other) best known song is probably Gaye, which was also on the original Home Thoughts album.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Ah yes of course .Funny how the two had similar styles and voices and 'your a lady ' charted around the same time as ' Gaye ' hence the confusion .Listening to the late american singer Dan Fogleberg reminds me of that type songwriting / singing and i know one of the other two also died a year or two ago

Advertisement