Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which port for COD4 with NThell ??

Options
  • 19-10-2008 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Lads,

does anyone here know what ports need to be opened on NTHells 20mb Dublin package to allow online gaming at a decent speed ?
    specifically I am playing COD4 online.
    When I phoned nthells tech support I was told "oh sorry we cant advise you of what ports need to be opened BUT you DO need to open some of them.What you need to do is phone our PREMIUM tech support line and they can tell you which ones " :eek::eek:

are these f*ckers for real !!!!

so......:mad:......:mad:.....:mad:.....

does anyone here know which specific ports need to be opened for this game ??

stupid thing is, I was reading on infinity wards web****e that one of the two servers for COD4 is actually located IN Dublin :eek::eek:, but I'm still getting loads of connection errors !

now, rant over :rolleyes::rolleyes:,

cheers

MrT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

MrTrebus wrote: »
    Lads,

does anyone here know what ports need to be opened on NTHells 20mb Dublin package to allow online gaming at a decent speed ?
    specifically I am playing COD4 online.
    When I phoned nthells tech support I was told "oh sorry we cant advise you of what ports need to be opened BUT you DO need to open some of them.What you need to do is phone our PREMIUM tech support line and they can tell you which ones " :eek::eek:

are these f*ckers for real !!!!

so......:mad:......:mad:.....:mad:.....

does anyone here know which specific ports need to be opened for this game ??

stupid thing is, I was reading on infinity wards web****e that one of the two servers for COD4 is actually located IN Dublin :eek::eek:, but I'm still getting loads of connection errors !

now, rant over :rolleyes::rolleyes:,

cheers

MrT

Why on earth would NTL tech support know what port COD4 uses? Googling COD4 port brought that up first result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Also cod4 servers aren't hosted by Infinity Ward. They only host the login servers (which iirc they have). Servers are hosted by hosting companies/ private citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

have opened that port and it hasnt made much of a difference TBH..
    in fairness though, I should have pointed out in my original post that I HAVE done much research on this BEFORE posting the question !!!!!
    havent actually made any headway with the problem, hence the question/posting !!

oh and why the hell SHOULDNT the TECH support know what port a game uses.

As stated, they DO know what ports need to be opened, but ONLY if I phone their PREMIUM support line (€1 or so a minute type thing !!! )
    Their so called "free" tedch support know nothing about it !
    If it had of been me on the other end of the phone, I would have just told the customer what needed to be opened and let them away with that nfo, but hey thtas just me !!

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Also cod4 servers aren't hosted by Infinity Ward. They only host the login servers (which iirc they have). Servers are hosted by hosting companies/ private citizens.

sorry, I meant the Activison "matchmaking" servers, which is where your connection to any of the available servers is made through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

MrTrebus wrote: »

oh and why the hell SHOULDNT the TECH support know what port a game uses.

Because there are thousands upon thousands of games/apps that use different ports, you can't expect anyone to know every single port that each one uses.

By the way 28960 is the default port for PC servers, I have no idea what they use for consoles which it sounds like you are using.

If you are using a wireless connection I would advise you to wire it before coming to the conclusion that ports are being blocked.

• Advertisement

again,
    this is the issue,
    they DO know what ports you need to open but they will only give you the info if you PHONE their PREMIUM RATE phone service !!

oh and its a PS3 I need to find out which ports are needed to be opened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

OP I think you're being irrational with your expectations of your provider's tech support - as christophicus noted there are a huge number of port configurations to support all of the different types of games/sw services in existence.

Frankly you're going to cause yourself much angst in life if you get so upset by your isp's tech support not telling you how to do something that is entirely trivial and beyond their scope - they supply you with an internet connection - anything beyond that should be chargeable.

My suggestion: call ntl, apologise for being so indignant, enable UPnP on your router/ps3 and don't ruin anyone else's cod online experience

Dardania wrote: »
    OP I think you're being irrational with your expectations of your provider's tech support - as christophicus noted there are a huge number of port configurations to support all of the different types of games/sw services in existence.

Frankly you're going to cause yourself much angst in life if you get so upset by your isp's tech support not telling you how to do something that is entirely trivial and beyond their scope - they supply you with an internet connection - anything beyond that should be chargeable.

My suggestion: call ntl, apologise for being so indignant, enable UPnP on your router/ps3 and don't ruin anyone else's cod online experience

WTF like ???

who they hell are you to have a go at me !
    IF tis such a "trivial" question then why is it they cannot tell me unless I phone a premium rate number !

I asked a simple question,
    if you dont have the courtesy to answer that question, or as is more likely you CANT answer the question, then feck off and post somewhere that your postings will be relevent to the QUESTION ASKED !
    how IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM am I "ruining anyone else's COD online experience"

you have a nice life in your perfect little world now !

Calm down mate, no need to be abusive to other members. Especially if you are looking for help, as it will put people off helping you.

This is something that should be googleable, infact the first result that I got when I googeled was this
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=callofduty3&thread.id=94182

which contain this
    here is the regular ps3 ports
    80 to 80 tcp
    443 to 443 TCP
    5223 to 5223 TCP
    3478 to 3479 UDP
    3658 to 3658 UDP

ADD THESE FOR COD4. THIS IS FOR PS3 AND ALSO 360
    3074 to 3074 UDP
    3075 to 3075 UDP
    these were also used with cod3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

a million threads on this, you mustn't of researched too hard

rigs5d.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

op, NTL have done nothing wrong, you have asked them for info that is outside of their remit and your not happy about the fact they couldn't help you.

May I suggest that like everyone else you actually do your own research to find the answer to your question and while your at it drop the attitude and I recommend you do not abuse other users.

if you actually READ through the thread you would notice I have already said (in post no.4 ) that I had already done a LOT of reasearch on this and wasnt getting anywhere.

also it seems that everyone has completly missed the fact (even though I have said it on at least 2 occasions) that NThell DO know what ports need to be opened but the ONLY WAY they will tell me is if I phone their PREMIUM RATE PHONE TECH SERVICE !!!!!!

and I'll make the point again that I am NOT looking for the COD4 port numbers the infinite ward say you should open, rather the ports that NThell require to be opened for users of their service !

amazing that people are so quick to jump in and post either stuff that is easily found on the net (and just presume I havent bothereed my arse to look it up myself)
    OR
    critisize ME for having a go at the lousy (free) tech support offered by nthell.

for those that didnt bother to read the thread properly I say thanks (for nothing)
    and to those who think its better to have a go at me instead of actually trying to answer the asked question, I got nothing to say to you !

oh and for those of a sensitive nature, I have edited out the 2 words that people seem to be SSSOOOO upset over !

@Christophicus,

tell me why you could not post this in the first place instead of posting something about PC servers in post number 6 of this thread !!!
    Calm down mate, no need to be abusive to other members. Especially if you are looking for help, as it will put people off helping you.

This is something that should be googleable, infact the first result that I got when I googeled was this
    http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=callofduty3&thread.id=94182

which contain this

BOBBY wrote: »
    a million threads on this, you mustn't of researched too hard

rigs5d.png

I did plenty of research on this,
    and if you read my original post you see I did not ask anything about the playstation network servers !!!
    as posted in another post here (no 3 ) the games are not actually hosted by the PSN servers !

Cabaal wrote: »
    op, NTL have done nothing wrong, you have asked them for info that is outside of their remit and your not happy about the fact they couldn't help you.

May I suggest that like everyone else you actually do your own research to find the answer to your question and while your at it drop the attitude and I recommend you do not abuse other users.

NThell CAN help with this, only they want me to phone a premium rate number first !

again as stated, I have done PLENTY of research on this and stated that clearly in post number 4

I asked a simple question and have been bombarded with unhelpful replies from people who seem to think I just woke up and decided to ask here rather than look it up myself or just didnt actually bother to read the thread properly first before answering

I respectfully suggest that there are quite a few other people in this thread that need to drop their own attitudes !

Well done, I am sure there will be tonnes of people racing to help you after that little rant.

Great attitude mate.

By the way I was the one that reported you earlier, I have no qualms saying that. I really would watch your attitude mate, I doubt you will be around too much longer if you continue on as you have done so far. I've had my say I shall contribute no more to it.

Fantastic,
    great job there mate,
    instead of helping out, you get shirty and decide to report me !
    I'm sure you must be very proud of yourself !

so far, in fairness, you have actually contributed very little so no change there then !

I asked the question here because I believed people would actually want to help out,
    seems like I was completly wrong about that

Well done, I am sure there will be tonnes of people racing to help you after that little rant.

Great attitude mate.

By the way I was the one that reported you earlier, I have no qualms saying that. I really would watch your attitude mate, I doubt you will be around too much longer if you continue on as you have done so far. I've had my say I shall contribute no more to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Right thats it,
    MrTrebus your thread is locked, your ungreatful and abusive to others users and you still seem to expect NTL to do stuff which is NOT within there remit to do, ISP's do not setup port forwarding for users, the most ISP's will generally do is google the ports you'll need which people have already done here.

For future reference I recommend you do not question mod decisions in a thread,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement