Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninformative Artist.

Options
  • 19-10-2008 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Ladies and Gentlemen, advice please if you could.

During the week just passed I went for my appointment in a Tattoo Studio in Dublin who's name I won't mention, with every faith in my artist and the establishment, mainly from seeing his top-knotch portfolio and the staff working with him. This was my third tattoo so I knew the drill. Signed the waiver and explained to the artist exactly what I wanted. I even had a printed photograph of the tattoo and said that it was exactly the design I wanted.

About half way through the session I looked at the only part of the tattoo that I could see without turning my head 180 degrees and I noticed that the shape of the flower was not what I asked for. I showed my artist the cherry blossom on the print out and he said "This is stupid, I'll do what I want". I, being slighty taken a back by his rudeness sat back and said nothing. He said he had gone so far he couldn't change it now.
    Long story short, I left paying for a tattoo I didn't ask for.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm entitled to if anything, nor am I sure of how I should go about dealling with this. Help, I would greatly appreciate.

x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Go straight to the manager, tell the manager exactly what happened. If you don't get any joy find out the owner and go to them.

Serious bad form there.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

+ 1

Definately don't leave it , make sure u speak out.

Most Tat artists will do exactly as u ask and if they feel its appropriate will make suggestions NOT just do it their way

Best of luck.

BTW is the tat nice even though its not what ya wanted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Hats_Off

Will wrote: »
    Go straight to the manager, tell the manager exactly what happened. If you don't get any joy find out the owner and go to them.

Serious bad form there.

Cheers Will.

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    + 1

Definately don't leave it , make sure u speak out.

Most Tat artists will do exactly as u ask and if they feel its appropriate will make suggestions NOT just do it their way

Best of luck.

BTW is the tat nice even though its not what ya wanted
    Thanks Lilli, I'll let you know how it goes.

It's nice, though some of the outline is interrupted and misshapen. So despite that it's not what I asked for, the work on what I did get isin't even perfect/standard. I've read more information from other body mod. posters on how their work and attitude from this artist is similiar. Although the other poster hadn't had him totally ignore what they asked for and change the design without telling them. They picked up on more of an unwillingness the change the design once he had had his way with it. Another staff member then, I assume trying to protect his artist told me me I have to allow room for artistic impression. **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Atristic impression? Bull****. If you were paying for a painting of something, maybe a portrait, and they gave you a portrait of something else because they didn't want to paint what you wanted, you'd be perfectly entitled to tell them where to go too.

This is SERIOUS bad form, and tbh, I think you should name and shame the artist involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

That sounds terrible. I'm of the opinion that any tattoo artist you employ to tattoo you should follow your design to the best of their ability unless otherwise instructed.
    You should name and shame this artist in order to forewarn us all.

Diceicle wrote: »
    That sounds terrible. I'm of the opinion that any tattoo artist you employ to tattoo you should follow your design to the best of their ability unless otherwise instructed.
    You should name and shame this artist in order to forewarn us all.

Hah, I'm tempted to open another thread on whether people should name and badmouth ill mannered tattoo artists.
    I'm going back in on Monday to talk to them and if they so much as try to feed me the ***** they did before I'm going to take it beyond just them and I. To be honest, I'm not too sure what I can ask for. My money back sure, though it's highly unlikely that'll happen and i'd still be left with something I don't necessarily want.
    A cover up with the design I actually wanted? Ideal, but not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Hats_Off wrote: »
    Hah, I'm tempted to open another thread on whether people should name and badmouth ill mannered tattoo artists.
    I'm going back in on Monday to talk to them and if they so much as try to feed me the ***** they did before I'm going to take it beyond just them and I. To be honest, I'm not too sure what I can ask for. My money back sure, though it's highly unlikely that'll happen and i'd still be left with something I don't necessarily want.
    A cover up with the design I actually wanted? Ideal, but not going to happen.

To be hones this whole scenario is absolutely insane. You are completely in the right here to have what you wanted.

I second the request for place and artist because we wouldn't want someone else falling into the same trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Compleatly out of order there.
    And to make it worse, the wrong tattoo wasnt even done nicely?

Deffo name and shame the artist, id be afraid i may end up under his needles otherwise.
    If it were me id of been saying his name from the start.

When I had complained about it before I think the employee I was talking to was doing everything in his power to convince me there was nothing wrong with what the artist had given me. Mind you they only have one resident artist so he was obviously just trying to protect him.

I can't name the artist, well I can but I won't until we sort out what actually happened. I'm going back in tomorrow so just wait until then and don't go making any plans to get inked in town in the next 24 hours ;)

To make it worse, it spans from the back of my shoulder blade to the front on my chest so everytime I look in the mirror, it's there.
    My blood has been at a constant state of boiling and simmering ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Just wondering... why didn't you speak up more when you noticed something was wrong while you were getting your tattoo? Or speak up about the unhappiness when they asked for payment?

jenizzle wrote: »
    Just wondering... why didn't you speak up more when you noticed something was wrong while you were getting your tattoo? Or speak up about the unhappiness when they asked for payment?

Like aforementioned I noticed initially when half was already done. He knocked me back with an egotistical, rude comment " This is stupid, I'll do what I want". Granted I should have walked out but you're very vunerable when in that situation and it just didn't occur to me at the time.
    When I was paying, I was a little shocked and the desk monkey asked If i was happy with it to which I replied that It was alright [I hadn't really seen it all properly nor taken time to examine the detail, which I should have].On the way downstairs I caught a glimpse of it in the mirror .Went straight back up and took it out with the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

eh ...... hello!
    **** the kunt!
    name and shame him!
    spread the word!
    see how many tats he gets then the stupid bollix!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

That is a horrible thing to happen....

Name and Shame... Ya shouldn't wait for them to give you an excuse.... they could be giving someone the very same excuse before you go in and talk to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Any waiver I've seen will have some line in it about if you bring in a picture you'll get the artists own artistic interpretation of it, to cover their asses in circumstances like this.

Still poor show though

That's exactly what I was worried about. Though I usually don't read the waiver since I use to get my work done in zulu and trusted them, I did this time. I was short, only about 3 sentences. I don't recall exactly what It said, -that all the questions I answered were true[ in regards to age and health status] -That I'd use to correct after care and something else but..I don't know.
    Does anyone know what the tattoo waiver in Snakebite says?
    Look okay, the artist Pawel Lewy, I didn't really want to say anything at the risk of hurting my stance with the studio but what's been done is done.

=)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55922506&highlight=Snakebite+Pawel#post55922506

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I'm surprised you didnt get better customer service in Snakebite as I've always found them very nice to deal with. Go back in and talk to Rob (the owner) about what happened and explain you're not happy with what went on.

Diceicle wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didnt get better customer service in Snakebite as I've always found them very nice to deal with. Go back in and talk to Rob (the owner) about what happened and explain you're not happy with what went on.

Rob was lovely and very pleasent to deal with. He's very professional, when I told him about it he got serious very quickly. Their great customer service was the main reason I felt so comfortable in their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm honestly shocked you were treated that way in snake bite. :eek:

Thanks for letting us know, i'll have second thoughts about work in there in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

That's exactly what I was worried about. Though I usually don't read the waiver since I use to get my work done in zulu and trusted them, I did this time. I was short, only about 3 sentences. I don't recall exactly what It said, -that all the questions I answered were true[ in regards to age and health status] -That I'd use to correct after care and something else but..I don't know.
    Does anyone know what the tattoo waiver in Snakebite says?
    Look okay, the artist Pawel Lewy, I didn't really want to say anything at the risk of hurting my stance with the studio but what's been done is done.

=)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55922506&highlight=Snakebite+Pawel#post55922506

That's exactly who I had in mind when I read this thread, Pawel does just seem really rude and arrogant. I had no idea he was that much of an asshole as well though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your support folks.

x

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

No problem Hats Off.

I'd definately say go back in and talk with Rob about this. I've had both my tattoos done there, both by Mariusz, and he did the tattoos exactly as I wanted, and he did a great job with them, designing the second one specifically for me to compliment the first one.

I haven't had any dealings with Pawel, but have heard some people saying he wasn't the friendliest, I've never heard complaints like this before, and I'd be shocked if they didn't do something to try to make this better for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'm sorry but if a tatt artist said that **** to me I'd get up and leave rather than let him finish, I'd be bringing back the pic of what i wanted to his boss and it would get rather ugly with the shouting I'd be doing. **** your artistic interpretation, I'm paying you to do what I want, Not what YOU want

Given that I'm goin back in Tuesday and explaining how this is not on. What am I suppose to ask for? They can't undo what's done.

Just to clarify I don't have any issuses with Snakebite, those guys couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Given that I'm goin back in Tuesday and explaining how this is not on. What am I suppose to ask for? They can't undo what's done.

Just to clarify I don't have any issuses with Snakebite, those guys couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.
    unfortunately there's nothing you can ask for as the law doesn't have a policy with this, But what you can do is make it quite obvious how disasterous this is for their business if they just let the artist do whatever he wants.

unfortunately there's nothing you can ask for as the law doesn't have a policy with this, But what you can do is make it quite obvious how disasterous this is for their business if they just let the artist do whatever he wants.

Not specifically but he didn't do his job correctly. It's negligence, isin't it?
    Well whatever about that i'm sure Rob will sort something out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Wow, I hope Rob has words with Pawel over this, he may be the greatest artist on the planet but if he can't figure out how to be professional he's not a great tattoo artist, and doing a different design simply because you think it's cooler than what the customer wants without checking with them is definitely not professional, heck it's bordering on mutilation.:eek:

I really hope the waiver didn't say anything about artistic interpretation on photographs because frankly If It did, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i have a 'consent form' here... it says...
    By signing this form you are confirming that the above details are correct and youa re giving us consent to perform the tattoo or piercing on you.
    You are also confirming that you accept full responsibility for healing and after-care.
    You are accepting the inherent risks of tattoos and piercings i.e. permanant marking of the body, possible scarring or health problems, infections etc.
    You are agreeing to follow our instructions both written and verbal so as to minimise the risks of complications and to maximise the chances of successful healing.

that's from the consent form where you give your name/address/medical conditions etc. about a year old, but can't imagine they've changed it, really.

tehre could be another one specifically for the tattoo stuff... but that's the smallprint on the consent form.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I really hope the waiver didn't say anything about artistic interpretation on photographs because frankly If It did, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

If it does, he could at least have the decency to apply such interpretation BEFORE he tattoos you - not during the bloody thing! If he felt a change was needed after the stencil was applied, he should have stopped, and spoken to you about it.

Advertisement