Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using writtten work from another subject in a different subject

Options
  • 19-10-2008 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I think i seen stuff about this before, but i couldn't find it in the search. Anyway, i submitted an assignment last year and i got a fairly god mark in it. Now this year in a different subject but with similar subject matter and essay titles i want to use large passages of that previous essay. what do year guys think? Its a 2000 word thing and overall i will be using about 800 words from the other essay. Would this lead to trouble if "caught". Did any of ye do it before and would they check across subjects?
    I just like do hear you view boys and girls, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd actually advise against it. My friend got caught doing it in final year, was done for plagarism and received a zero in the assignment. It cost them their first, too.

Apart from getting caught, no matter how similar the assignment titles may appear, the different schools will require different focus, etc. so that what may be good for, say, politics, is not what's required for history, for example. In addition, the standard of assignment that is required this year is higher than what you did last year, so even a good assignment from last year may not get as good a grade this year.

That said, there's nothing wrong with using the research and notes you did last year, but just don't use the actual assignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Could you not just reword it significantly OP? I don't see the problem with using it if it's relevant to the topic.

Can't say I've ever done it though, so don't blame me if you get caught/expelled/arrested/killed/tortured as a result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

One of my lecturers last year told us not to do that. Something about the university cant be giving credit twice for the same work.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Well, I know that whenever I get a GOD mark I stick with it. Cut and paste - no. Reworking of previously written work to fit the matieral - fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

convert wrote: »
    My friend got caught doing it in final year, was done for plagarism...
    Even though he was plagarising his own work? I'm not sure if that makes sense or not... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

It does make sense that your not allowed do it.

Why should you get double credit for submitting something twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mick T

you probably shouldnt be making an exact imitation of previous work alright, just reworking it would be ok
    also its not plagiarism if your coping your own work , so to a previous poster i dont know how your mate was done for plagiarism, unless of course he had copied someone elses work!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism#Self-plagiarism

If you use your old work in a new work, you have to reference it as if it wasn't yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

F-Stop wrote: »
    Well, I know that whenever I get a GOD mark I stick with it. Cut and paste - no. Reworking of previously written work to fit the matieral - fine.

Is a GOD mark a special ucd grade??
    Richie15 wrote: »
    Even though he was plagarising his own work? I'm not sure if that makes sense or not... :confused:

Course it makes sense, have you ever read a book or journal article where the author references his previous work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

gerry87 wrote: »

If you use your old work in a new work, you have to reference it as if it wasn't yours.

100% correct - It happens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

Thanks for your opinions guys. I think i will rewrite it as it was only about 600-800 words. I have a lot of notes and references anyway so iam in petty good nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mick T

gerry87 wrote: »

we learn something new every day eh!

since were referencing wikipedia here id better Quote this " Some universities and editorial boards choose to not regulate it at all; those consider the term self-plagiarism oxymoronic since a person cannot be accused of stealing from themselves"

guess thats why i never knew stealing from your self was considered a crime or cheating in this case!

Advertisement