Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession Food Shopping!

• 19-10-2008 9:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Tesco Value Brie (!) €1.49 (grand if its left out of fridge for an hour before eating)

Lidl Potatos Irish Queens 2kg - Reduced from €2.69 to 69c (are good quality - I have 4kg cooking to be made into potato cakes and frozen - v.handy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Superquinn were doing a deal for a Family Lasagne, two pack garlic bread and large coleslaw for €7 (compared to €11.50 I think). Not sure if it is still on but they had the Lasagnes reduced down to €2.99 yesterday.

While I dont think Superquinn is great value on a lot of things these deals are not too shabby at all (especially for a family)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Two weeks ago Superquinn were doing Dairy Gold margarine 454g for 50c. Nescafe coffee 100g 1 Euro. Haddock 8+ euro per kilo and a few others. Very good bargins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Had the Lidl potatoes last night and they were fine. 69c is unbelievable value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

http://lidltreats.com/

This is worth a look. And the Market Kitchen 'food for a fiver' are also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

lidl shopping - Pasta, rice, noodles, various beans, sweet 'n sour, peas, pork chops, tuna, "Worcester" sauce.

Mix and match for nearly free eating.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Lidl chopped tomatos are pretty good quality and 25c.
    As above with Houmous @ 99c.

Nescafe coffee and cappuccino are more expensive in Lidl than Dunnes/Tesco.

Branded chocolate is the same price as D/T but more likely to get offers in D/Ts.

Herbal teas cheaper in Lidl (and nicer imo) than branded.

Lentils/Rice/dried peas or beans are all nicer (than supermarket budget ranges) and significantly cheaper in Asian Foodstores.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Great thread.

/subs and applies stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Have tried the lidl spuds and they are great.

While I was there I bought the ingredients for spagetti bolognaise and had family over and they all commented on the meat and said it was fab, I said yeh it was pretty dear, got it in the local butchers, they said yeh you can always tell good mince:rolleyes: told them it was lidl to shut em up then.... Also the fruit and veg in lidl is fantatic because the turnover is so high it's always really fresh unlike dunnes & tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

mike65 wrote: »
    lidl shopping - Pasta, rice, noodles, various beans,
    Their brown rice in particular is awesome imo.
    sueme wrote: »
    As above with Houmous @ 99c.

Herbal teas cheaper in Lidl (and nicer imo) than branded.

Their houmous, flavoured and original, is better than top brand name houmous imo. Same goes for their cheese and crackers.

Another +1 for their mince, the pork and beef are of fantastic quality I have found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Had the steak out of Aldi the other day and it was delish. I can’t remember if it was Sirloin or Striploin but it was very tasty and not at all ‘cheap’ tasting.
    Can’t remember what it cost but it was good value, and I’ll be getting it again so I won’t be going for the Jamie Oliver ones in Sainsburys anymore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The steaks in Lidl are pretty good too, I have to say, as are all the cured meats/ hams / sausages etc.

I'd say that nowadays we do a good 75% of our food shopping in Lidl (there's no Aldi near us unfortunately) and only go to Dunnes/Tesco for a few items we can't get there, such as cat food (our cats would rather starve than eat Lidl's Opticat!). I've noticed of late that they're increasing their range of vegetables (and are stocking organic fruit and veg too), which means I'll be using them even more.

Some people are put off by the odd brand names and sometimes badly translated labels, but having lived in Germany for a good many years, I generally read the German writing instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    (our cats would rather starve than eat Lidl's Opticat!).

Bloody Celtic Tiger Kitties

Ours thought Opticat was great after Lidl's Koshida cat food range!!

Although, since getting cystitis, they get posh food from the vet shop!

Bag of chicken carcasses from Moynihan's Poultry in the English market in Cork - FREE!!

Slabs of belly pork - really cheap from any decent butcher.

Shin Beef - very cheap and makes fantastic stews and chili.

Buy rice in 5 or 10 kilo bags from Asian shops. 5kg is about €10 I think.

Buy large bottles of soy sauce in Asian shops - way cheaper.

Always buy potatoes in bulk - they're about half the price as weighing them out.

Apart from shopping:

Don't throw food away!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Watch out for the weekly offers that all supermarkets have on too e.g. Supervalu have 1/2 price sirloin steak this week. Well worth stocking up and freezing at that price.

1966 wrote: »
    Watch out for the weekly offers that all supermarkets have on too e.g. Supervalu have 1/2 price sirloin steak this week. Well worth stocking up and freezing at that price.

Yeah, and they often reduce legs of lamb to half nothing too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Lidl do fantastic cooked meats, like chicken with herb crust and cooked beef and loads of different salamis, their pizzas are nice too, with 2 in each pack for i think bout €3.60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Myself and the boyfriend usually get our weekly shop in Lidl for around €60, some seriously good bargains. I personally love their Indian sauces, nyom!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Buy whole chickens, not just fillets.
    Make big batches of food and freeze them.
    Use dried beans and legumes
    Get your spices, nuts and legumes in the asian shops
    Best tip: eat seasonally.

taconnol wrote: »
    Buy whole chickens, not just fillets.
    Make big batches of food and freeze them.
    Use dried beans and legumes
    Get your spices, nuts and legumes in the asian shops
    Best tip: eat seasonally.

Supervalue leg of lamb down to c.€10/KG

Leave whole for roasting,
    Get sliced into leg steaks,
    or get it boned and do kebabs or a whole butterfly leg (great for BBQ)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

Hi there,

I'm new to Dublin so was wondering if I could get some suggestions as to where I could find an Asian grocers and a good butchers.

I work at DIT Kevin Street but live near the Luas in Milltown.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

There is a good asian supermarket in Drury Street (city centre) - another smaller one on S. Gt Georges street. Not far from there is Sawyers butcher on Chatham St (good for unusual cuts, game etc and also good generally!). There are a few FX Buckleys around which are good for beef, Hicks in Dunlaoghaire are good for pork products. Otherwise, have a look around where you live or work for a butcher who is a member of the Craft Butchers association, they are usually good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

muckety wrote: »
    There is a good asian supermarket in Drury Street (city centre) - another smaller one on S. Gt Georges street. Not far from there is Sawyers butcher on Chatham St (good for unusual cuts, game etc and also good generally!). There are a few FX Buckleys around which are good for beef, Hicks in Dunlaoghaire are good for pork products. Otherwise, have a look around where you live or work for a butcher who is a member of the Craft Butchers association, they are usually good.

Thanks heaps! The Asian Market is much better for range although no necessarily for price. Now I have to search for a good butchers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

obsydion wrote: »
    Hi there,

I work at DIT Kevin Street but live near the Luas in Milltown.

Cheers!

You are not that far from Meath Street and there is a selection of butchers and vegetable shops there and quite good value too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

If you get off the Luas at Beechwood, there is a butcher in the Morton's supermarket just up from it called Lawlors.

They are also member's of the Craft Butchers and regularly win prizes for their various prepared food. They also have the nicest dry aged steak and a wide variety of game and other more unusual meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

Aldi and Lidl I find are both good. I buy all my veg, cereals, biscuits and sweets. There Quiche in Lidl is the nicest between all of them. And in Aldi there is a Duck starter with hoi sin sauce if yum yum you even get all pancakes with them, also the brooklea yoghurts and cranberry breakfasgt bars are a treat. To be honest all the big stores are doing cheaper brands unfortunately the quality is not in them-Ive learnt and waste of money. I have saved a huge amount of money by shopping in these low cost supermarkets and I would do a separte shop in the main supermarkets but only to get small few supplies. Otherwise I owe it to Lidl and Aldi helping me save money to buy my car with the saving I made on the weekly bases soon added up.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

I was on Moores street and seen some of the sellers selling

12 apples for a €1 and 10 bananas for €1

I also took a look in some of the butchers on Moores Street
    2 whole chickens for €10.

These seem like good deals. My question is, were is the best place in Dublin to buy cheap good quality fruit/veg and meat in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Thats pretty damn good.

Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

Lidl Potatos Irish Queens 2kg - Reduced from €2.69 to 69c (are good quality - I have 4kg cooking to be made into potato cakes and frozen - v.handy)

Funny you should mention it but I could really do with a good potato cake recipe if anyone has any suggestions? My attempt at the weekend was more like potato pancake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Lexus1976 wrote: »
    I was on Moores street and seen some of the sellers selling

12 apples for a €1 and 10 bananas for €1

I also took a look in some of the butchers on Moores Street
    2 whole chickens for €10.

These seem like good deals. My question is, were is the best place in Dublin to buy cheap good quality fruit/veg and meat in dublin?

I've merged this with an existing thread, you may get some ideas here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I went to Superquinn yesterday and they had really big Irish chickens for €5 each and I bought 2 striploin steaks for €7.94. I had one of the steaks last night and it was fabulous. I'd stopped going to Superquinn, thinking it is too expensive, but it is definitely worth visiting for it's specials.

Advertisement