Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about external hd

• 19-10-2008 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I installed Ubuntu to an external drive and it works fine. I have to select the external drive in the boot order when booting up, but after that it's grand (I know I could change it full time, just haven't got around to it yet).

Anyway, my question is, in theory could I plug that ext/hd into a different PC altogether and as long as I can change the boot order on that PC, I should get everything as it stands right now? It shouldn't make any diff that the other PC is a Vista machine, or is not connected to my broadband or anything, I should be able to at least boot into Ubuntu, right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

it wont matter that the other machine is vista, nor whether it is connected to the internet.

The only worry that i would have would be that when Ubuntu loaded, i assume you have a GUI on it like X (is that still around). it would have loaded the drivers necessary for the hardware on our previous machine, so when you plug it into your other one there may be a mismatch on hardware/drivers.
    It should pick it up... but i have no experience.

Im sure someone else would or you could just try it for us :)
    shouldnt break anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

notsamhail wrote: »
    The only worry that i would have would be that when Ubuntu loaded, i assume you have a GUI on it like X (is that still around). it would have loaded the drivers necessary for the hardware on our previous machine, so when you plug it into your other one there may be a mismatch on hardware/drivers.
    Hmm, I was kinda hoping for the magical ability to just plug this h/d in wherever I go, and hey presto I have Linux at my disposal. From what you're saying, there may be configuration issues? Will I need the Ubuntu liveCD? I guess the idea is suck it and see?

far from it !
    Id love to try it sometime. havnt gotten into this running an OS from anything but a hard drive...

sure just back up your data from your ubuntu installation and plug it in an dsee what happens ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

If you like, play around with Slax booted from a USB first. See how that does.

http://www.slax.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

corblimey wrote: »
    I installed Ubuntu to an external drive and it works fine. I have to select the external drive in the boot order when booting up, but after that it's grand (I know I could change it full time, just haven't got around to it yet).

Anyway, my question is, in theory could I plug that ext/hd into a different PC altogether and as long as I can change the boot order on that PC, I should get everything as it stands right now? It shouldn't make any diff that the other PC is a Vista machine, or is not connected to my broadband or anything, I should be able to at least boot into Ubuntu, right?

I have ubuntu on a 2.5" disk. I bring it everywhere with me. Very handy in work when I change computers. Works perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

notsamhail wrote: »
    sure just back up your data from your ubuntu installation and plug it in an dsee what happens ! :)

Just as a matter of interest, what exactly would I need to back up? The entire /home folder? /etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

corblimey wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, what exactly would I need to back up? The entire /home folder? /etc?

If it's a relatively new installation there's not much you would need to back-up apart from documents, videos, pr0n etc.

But say you had an installation for a while and you had all your different config settings for your mailbox, your desktop themes, your media player etc... All those config files are stored on /home.

E.G. I upgraded to Ibex and when I installed Thunderbird again, all I had to do was open it and all my emails were there, as well as POP and SMTP connections. So it was running the same system but with a new engine underneath.

couldnt have answered it better (or probably as good :)) as an fear aniar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I can confirm this works even on an IDE hard disk, it has to do with how linux loads drivers; as long as you are using an official kernel and no fancy nvidia graphics it has as much chance of working as it would had you installed it there.

I tried doing this with an XP installation once. Never got to the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

this is very interesting.
    i had ubuntu on the laptop and i was loving until i went to use them special keys on the keyboard and went to plug the laptop to the tv woundn`t transfer the picture to the tv, so i took it off.
    but would this mean i could run ubuntu from a 4gb memory card?

• Advertisement
Advertisement