Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky card

Options
  • 19-10-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

We have 2 Sky boxes, one with the card and the other just picking up the free-to-air programmes. Is there a one-off payment card that we can get-I don't want to pay Sky another €55 a month.
    thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you pay a Mirror Sub and connect both boxes to SAME phone line ALL the time, it is about €15 a month extra no matter what the main sub costs.

This should be in Satellite. Moving...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Another alternative is to get a http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/ card although this is only available to UK residents. They are available over the internet for about £50 and no monthly fee's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

Thanks Watty. We don't have a landline so the mirror sub isn't an option.
    Thanks Redout. That's the idea of what I'm looking for. I'll go on an internet trawl now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

redout wrote: »
    Another alternative is to get a http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/ card although this is only available to UK residents. They are available over the internet for about £50 and no monthly fee's.

Hi

Does anyone know if I can just go to a shop up north and by the "Pay Once Watch Forever" viewing card and bring it back to Dublin? How much it will be?

Does anyone know of shops that sell it without needed installation?

Thanks

It only adds Five, Fiver, FiveUS and possibly Sky3.

Five may be going FTA next year.

You really don't need one. £22 is a bit of a waste for 6 months of Channel 5.

They are only sent to UK (inc. NI) postcoded addresses. But yes they do work here. It's called "Freesat from Sky" formerly FTV card, formerly Solus card. Originally it was needed in UK for BBC, ITV and C4. Due to extortionate Sky charges each of them has in turn left the scheme to pay extra to rights holders and be Free To Air (no card).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

watty wrote: »
    It only adds Five, Fiver, FiveUS and possibly Sky3.

Five may be going FTA next year.

You really don't need one. £22 is a bit of a waste for 6 months of Channel 5.

They are only sent to UK (inc. NI) postcoded addresses. But yes they do work here. It's called "Freesat from Sky" formerly FTV card, formerly Solus card. Originally it was needed in UK for BBC, ITV and C4. Due to extortionate Sky charges each of them has in turn left the scheme to pay extra to rights holders and be Free To Air (no card).

Was just looking again at the website, do I understand correctly that to be able to get the UKTv Gardens and a few others I will need to pay £22 a month after the trial, if I don't want to pay it will become a Uk Freeview card?

Does anyone know if you can get UKTV Gardens free via Sat, is not on NTL/UPC package?

You can't
    It's a pay TV only channel (and all repeats at that).

Sky are now using the FTV card as a "puppy dog" type marketing tool as unlike the BBC encypted days they now entirely control it. So they can do what ever "introductory" offers they like in UK. The "Irish" service is essentially icing on Cake for Sky's UK service (they themselves are as British as Dingos or Raccoons).

You need UK address to deal with a UK subscription.

Note that of the 240 TV channels:
    236 at least work with no card, not even a Sky box needed.
    180 at least are Shopping, Ethnic, Religious etc with less than 0.01 viewing %. Possibly less than 1% in total between them all!

The Mix pack is a "puppy dog" exercise. They know that many will not cancel and will automatically be charged after the trial period.

Also while not impossible to do it here, they will want a UK address and a bank for Direct Debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

That info really clarifies the position re the sky card. Thanks for that comprehensive info Watty. Don't think I'll bother at this point.

Advertisement