Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus strike - any updates ?

Options
  • 19-10-2008 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if anyone heard any more news on the threatened Aer Lingus strike ? Last I heard they were balloting for all out action. They have some good fares to europe at the moment, and a excellent 149 fare to Washington too, but I don't want to risk it till I know whats happening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

What strike? There won't be a strike. This is just the usual routine they go through. The management suggests something the unions don't like. So the unions threaten to go on strike. After lots of posturing, they settle down and negotiate something mutually acceptable until the next time.

So no strike. Aer Lingus unions and management have always played this game. Occasionally it all goes wrong and there is a strike. But it's rare.

What's far more likely this time is that the whole airline will collapse. It is wildly overstaffed with people who still believe they have a cosy little job for life. Unless they can reduce their costs, there will be no more Aer Lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The first milestone is Nov 01 when declarations of interest in taking voluntary redundancy are due.

Things may become clearer after that, but my sources tell me nothing in the offing at the moment.All depends on when they actually decide to grasp the nettle, you will have the usual arseboxing up to then,but if I was asked to make a call I'd say first quarter of 2009 would be fairly volatile.

Advertisement