Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22month old naps, sleeping

Options
  • 19-10-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

hi please help if you can
    my 22 month old son has always been great in everyway especially sleeping, i tink you could call him the model child most of the time, obviously from time to time he has episodes but is generally so good even was as a newborn. however, he goes through stages every couple of months of not sleeping well and this lasts for about a fortnight.
    at the moment he won't nap even though he is obviously tired. now this would be fine but the problem is when he doesnt nap during the day he either wont zleep at night when we put him down, or he wakes up continuosly at night and stays awake for an hour or more at a time. he's in prefect health and form other than this.
    now this has been goin on for the last week or so so yesterday after he had been awake the night before for about 2 hours he woke up at 6.30 and at 12 i put him down for his nap where he lay quitely for about 10 minutes before screeching the place down, screeching is the best word to describe it i htink, he sounds so frustrated and you would think he is not tired but i can see the tell tale signs straight away so he does need the sleep. so yesterday i checked on him, he had his water in his cot, teddy, blanket, clean nappy full tummy etc so for the first time i let him scream and scram while i sat listening in another room. after 20 minutes he went to zleep.
    please advice me as soon as you can becuase im listening to him right now and feel so bad, im afraid il damage him emotionally by crying for so long and if you heard the cries they are so chilling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Tough one. I would never able to let one of my kids cry it out..neither would my wife. have you tried napping him in your bed ? you could lie down beside him and slip away when he goes to sleep ?

Also he could be just growing out of the need to nap and during that phase he might be a little difficult for a while.... If your fairly certain there is nothing wrong then it may just be a wave you have to ride. His body will figure it out eventually and of course as everyone advise's a nice calm sleep rotuine will help.

Good luck !

Advertisement