Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth buying a new car now? (skoda octavia 1.9TDi

Options
  • 19-10-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I am close to committing to buy a new skoda Octavia 1.9TDi. I have been offered it for €21000, it was listed at the dealers at €22700 I am a novice at new car buys. Is this a good deal and is it the right time to buy a car?
    Some of the lads in work are saying I am crazy to buy a new car.

I picked the skoda because it has great specs for the price and is surely reliable, every second taxi is a skoda octavia.

I am getting rid of a crappy unreliable renault megan that has broken my heart over the last two years with problems.

I wanted a car free from any problems with the idea of driving it for a long time, I am not the sort oif fella that upgrades his car every couple of years, I would rather hold onto it, look after it and drive it till it collapses.

Any advice is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

If you wait until Jan or Feb, a 08 car will cost less again i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    If you wait until Jan or Feb, a 08 car will cost less again i'd imagine.

It wont be new though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Its an ok deal, Octavia's are a class car now, but if your having doubts about putting down so much money why not take advantage of the great prices in the used market.

What model is it your getting for 21k, Classic or Dsg?

If it was me I wouldnt buy new, I have seen the beautiful 2.0tdi 140bhp Sport for under 13k around.Those engines are suppose to be insanely good.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Octavia/2.0TDI-140BHP/1181988

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_search.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=SKODA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=2.0&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=1&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=25&ukcarsearch_full.y=2

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

There are so many factors that you have to consider:

Firstly if you are getting a loan that will influence your decision on when you buy - so I cant say if it is a good time to buy new for you. In the general scheme of things I would think, wait til the new year and consider buying a nearly new car. I don't know your financial position but if you have been approved for some kind of loan there is no guarantee that you would be approved for this at a later date.

What are you doing with the Megane? If your are depending on sale of it you may be waiting a while.

You seem to be happy to buy an octavia so I don't think there is much point in talking about other cars, however maybe you should think about the 2 litre diesel unit as apposed to the 1.9

I wouldn't think its fantastic value but Im sure the lads here will advise you on that.

Depreciation wont be a big issue for you since you plan on running it into the ground.

Finally I don't know anyone who owns one, so I cant comment on reliability. Never assume a car is reliable just because its popular....the 1.4 Mark IV Golf springs to mind. Also ever car today has some problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you buy a brand new car now it will suffer a full year's depreciation in just over 2 months time on 1st Jan as it is deemed to be a year old. If of course you plan on keeping the car until it dies then depreciation is not a factor for you and this could be a good deal. But who knows there could be unforeseen factors down the road that could mean you have to sell the car prematurely. Swings and roundabouts.

Another thing to take into account though is that there is a facelifted Octavia about to be launched:
    [URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_285969_25.jpg[/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Its an ok deal, Octavia's are a class car now, but if your having doubts about putting down so much money why not take advantage of the great prices in the used market.

If it was me I wouldnt buy new, I have seen the beautiful 2.0tdi 140bhp Sport for under 13k around.Those engines are suppose to be insanely good.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_search.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=SKODA&min_pr=75&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=2.0&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=1&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=25&ukcarsearch_full.y=2

Firstly, thanks for the links and feedback lads, The model is an Skoda Octavia Ambient. It has a yearly tax of €150, not sure if the 2.0 L is more?

Those linked cars all have mileage of 80000+ on them, even though they not too old. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to avoid, I reckon I would put about 12000 miles a year on it so It would be 7 years or so before I got to that. I was thinking of waiting until the new year, but my megane is so unreliable and costing me hand over fist. I hope to let it go for €1500 - 2000 (its 2001) after I secure a new car.

I travel a round trip of 30 miles or so a day from Celbridge across the city, at odd times due to shioftwork, I need a reliable car.

The loan I have available to me is one of the best in the country, 6.5%avr, flexabilty and no charges for early payment, etc, I have no problem on that front.

Thanks again for all the advice so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Firstly, thanks for the links and feedback lads, The model is an Skoda Octavia Ambient. It has a yearly tax of €150, not sure if the 2.0 L is more?

Those linked cars all have mileage of 80000+ on them, even though they not too old. This is the kind of thing I was hoping to avoid, I reckon I would put about 12000 miles a year on it so It would be 7 years or so before I got to that. I was thinking of waiting until the new year, but my megane is so unreliable and costing me hand over fist. I hope to let it go for €1500 - 2000 (its 2001) after I secure a new car.

I travel a round trip of 30 miles or so a day from Celbridge across the city, at odd times due to shioftwork, I need a reliable car.

The loan I have available to me is one of the best in the country, 6.5%avr, flexabilty and no charges for early payment, etc, I have no problem on that front.

Thanks again for all the advice so far.

Thats a good plan.I would go with the lads advice and wait until early next year and pick up the facelifted Octavia, which is stunning.

I dont think 90000 miles is much for a modern diesel, some people prefer to see 80k on a 3 year old car than 24k on the same year, as it has been broken in so to speak.Im sure some of more knowledgeable lads can clear that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Tell the dealer that you're thinking of waiting for the facelifted model or else might go for a <insert name of car he doesn't sell here>. Hint you might still consider going for the older model, but only if he reduces the price to compensate for the depeciation drop that the car will suffer in two months time (when it appears to be a year on the road). And also for the drop in value when it becomes less desireable compared to a facelifted model.

N.B it will be definitely be less desireable for him to have it sitting on his forecourt next to the newer model.

Others on here might advise on how far you could push the price before he tells you to F**k off. Or how likely it is there are other likely buyers out there that may be keen at that price.

Consider how desperate the dealer may be for cash to pay the bills this month and next (his big customers all waiting till Jan for the shiny 09s, or worse yet no sign of the new year rush happening this year)

great, I'll push him for a better deal based on depreciation at year change. Its a good tactic, easpecially since I intend to keep it over the long term.

Thanks for all the help.

OP if you are considering the Skoda Octavia then the Kia Ceed should also be looked at. They are pretty good value for money and come with a 7 year warranty which should be a big plus point to you considering you plan to keep the car for a long time.

The diesel engine in the Cee'd is a 1.6 but it more modern, pumps out more bhp than the old TDi in the Octavia yet costs the same to tax. It is also alot quieter and the Ceed is very well equipped including air conditioning and half leather interior on top of the range models. A top of the range diesel Cee'd will retail at around €22k before discount.

More details here:
    http://www.kiamotors.ie/showroom/ceed.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Bazz is right, the 7 years warranty will buy you peace of mind.

I rented a Ceed last summer. At first I was disappointed because I wanted a Focus or a Golf. But after driving the Kia, I was really excited. I would buy one if I had the ba*** to take on a loan.

Test drive it! :)

7 years warranty(or 150000KM), that sounds tasty alright.

I will give this some thought and compare specs, thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The facelifted Octavia will have a new common rail diesel for the 2.0 TDI; the existing 1.9 TDI is being retained, meaning the reasons to go for the 2.0 TDI over the Godawful 1.9 TDI are now all the greater, as the common rail engine is quieter than the outgoing 2.0 TDI, as well as better on CO2.

For the facelifted model, both the 1.9 and 2.0 TDI will be in an identical VRT band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Tony Broke wrote: »

I had one of those "insanely good" engines in a passat last year and it sounded like a tractor (when it worked) compared with the 1.6 HDI I had in a rented picasso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

E92 wrote: »
    The facelifted Octavia will have a new common rail diesel for the 2.0 TDI; the existing 1.9 TDI is being retained, meaning the reasons to go for the 2.0 TDI over the Godawful 1.9 TDI are now all the greater, as the common rail engine is quieter than the outgoing 2.0 TDI, as well as better on CO2.

For the facelifted model, both the 1.9 and 2.0 TDI will be in an identical VRT band.

Are you sure? The new superb gets the PD 140 and the CR 170.

If anything the Octavia will get the new 1.6CR down the line as the mk6 Golf has done.

Kafer wrote: »
    Are you sure? The new superb gets the PD 140 and the CR 170.

If anything the Octavia will get the new 1.6CR down the line as the mk6 Golf has done.

The Superb also gets the old 1.9 TDi so you can bet your bottom dollar the Octavia will get it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

**waiting for some langer to use words "diesel" "clatter" and "refinement"**

Thought I would post a note on the deal I signed off on today.

basically, i explained that I was unsure of the drop in value at year end but still we could not live with the unreliability of our current car, and also threw in the kia Ceed and its seven year warrenty for good measure.

the deal will be, he will give us a used Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI from his showroom on loan free of charge, to use until the end of the year, then we will get a brand spanking new octavia 1.9 TDI in first week of january(mats, full tank, all that stuff) and he has increased the warrenty from 2 to 4 years, bumper to bumper, unlimited mileage, for 21K.

love it when a plan comes together. :D

Thanks to all you guys for the great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thought I would post a note on the deal I signed off on today.

basically, i explained that I was unsure of the drop in value at year end but still we could not live with the unreliability of our current car, and also threw in the kia Ceed and its seven year warrenty for good measure.

the deal will be, he will give us a used Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI from his showroom on loan free of charge, to use until the end of the year, then we will get a brand spanking new octavia 1.9 TDI in first week of january(mats, full tank, all that stuff) and he has increased the warrenty from 2 to 4 years, bumper to bumper, unlimited mileage, for 21K.

love it when a plan comes together. :D

Thanks to all you guys for the great advice.

HAh! Fair fluffs to ya:D

Cannot argue with that deal. Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Did you fall asleep immediately after screwing that dealer striking that deal? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Very nice. Congratulations!

That facelifted model looks incredible, btw. Interesting times ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Is it worth buying a new car now?

Only if it's iPod compatible.

have to say though, the guys in the showroom were really cool and honest to a fault, which was a real pleasure. For them, it boosts next years sales figures at the expense of a few miles on car they cant shift anyway, so one of those win win situations. I am very happy, as is the missus, who got to pick the colour, capacinno beige, :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Thats a sweet deal...any chance you could PM me the dealer. The father is toying with the idea of a VRS tdi for Jan.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jimbo19162

wow super deal very nice gotta love those octavias well done are ya allowed name the dealer no ???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

craichoe wrote: »
    **waiting for some langer to use words "diesel" "clatter" and "refinement"**

:D

I was looking at an A4 new, and went to my local Audi dealer. Named his price, and said he'd give me €1000-1500 for my 99 Passat TDi in January. I told him I would be ringing around, and that I don't believe in giving it to a dealer that "matches" the best price. He was quite confident that it was the best price around. First call to a dealer in Waterford knocked €1000 off, plus and extra €500 on the Passat. As I was up with the original dealer anyway, i told him and he shook his head, saying he couldn't match it. I said fine, and was walking away. when he came back and asked me to leave it with him for a day or two. I again advised him he had to better it, not match it. He said he would do his best. We'll see.

Edit: Heard there was a new A6 out, so I rang him later. Not even out yet, but the original dealer quoted me €46,100. First shot?
    €41,000 including the Passat - I'm seriously tempted. Will see what Waterford do.......

whiterebel wrote: »
    :D

I was looking at an A4 new, and went to my local Audi dealer. Named his price, and said he'd give me €1000-1500 for my 99 Passat TDi in January. I told him I would be ringing around, and that I don't believe in giving it to a dealer that "matches" the best price. He was quite confident that it was the best price around. First call to a dealer in Waterford knocked €1000 off, plus and extra €500 on the Passat. As I was up with the original dealer anyway, i told him and he shook his head, saying he couldn't match it. I said fine, and was walking away. when he came back and asked me to leave it with him for a day or two. I again advised him he had to better it, not match it. He said he would do his best. We'll see.

Edit: Heard there was a new A6 out, so I rang him later. Not even out yet, but the original dealer quoted me €46,100. First shot?
    €41,000 including the Passat - I'm seriously tempted. Will see what Waterford do.......

So why not try and sell the old Passat privately in the mean time and then press the dealer for a better straight cash discount on the new car in January?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bazz26 wrote: »
    So why not try and sell the old Passat privately in the mean time and then press the dealer for a better straight cash discount on the new car in January?

Thats the strange thing. They will give me the trade in price against what was originally the straight price........I thought brining a trade-in would cock up the deal, but seemingly not. The Passat can be knocked out handy enough to trade it seems. Trying to sell the Passat privately means I could be without a car for 6 weeks if someone was keen on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cannot argue with that deal. Nice one.

+1. Well done OP!

Advertisement