Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 5series 2004 Good value/time to buy?

Options
  • 19-10-2008 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Looking for a 04 5 series(new shape)
    Not in a rush to purchase but is it a good time to buy it now or later
    and what would be a good price?

Needed specs:
    Manual
    Leather
    Not Silver!
    Diesel or petrol will do!
    Want to trade current car so probably would need a dealer
    Proper alloys not the base ones like these:
    CB4_1221160_5_863482.jpg<<<UGLY

Love the lip boot spoiler on this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/1188664

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

A lot of dealers are trying to offload used cars at the moment - so you might end up with a poor trade in value, or the dealer might not entertain it at all.

If you have cash, you could end up with a bargain - a couple of local dealers are not allowed take any more orders for new cars til they shift a certain number of used ones - "no unreasonable offer accepted"!

EDIT - on a side-note, a neighbour went into a nearby audi dealership to look at a 2nd hand a3; the dealer was offering to upgrade her steel wheel to alloys at no extra cost and they were also willing to throw in a free sat nav kit! She didn't even have to open her mouth to get these offers!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

tom-d wrote: »
    Love the lip boot spoiler on this one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/1188664

Thats my brothers car....sorry was my brothers car:(. He traded it in a few months ago. I wish he didn't, it was a really nice car. Im not even a big fan of the cars styling. He was going to sell it privately at a keen price but he thought it would take too long.

He now has a boring xc90.....I took it for a spin when he got it, I couldn't understand how he could go from 6 cylinders to a tractor van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tom-d

A lot of dealers are trying to offload used cars at the moment - so you might end up with a poor trade in value, or the dealer might not entertain it at all.

If you have cash, you could end up with a bargain - a couple of local dealers are not allowed take any more orders for new cars til they shift a certain number of used ones - "no unreasonable offer accepted"!

good point, just wonder then when December comes will they have to cut prices even further to make room for 09's!
    EDIT - on a side-note, a neighbour went into a nearby audi dealership to look at a 2nd hand a3; the dealer was offering to upgrade her steel wheel to alloys at no extra cost and they were also willing to throw in a free sat nav kit! She didn't even have to open her mouth to get these offers!

Not much extras you can throw in when your buying a bmw!:D

caesar
    bit of a coiencidence!
    did your brother put that spoiler on DIY style or was it the dealership?
    and honestly did he drive the crap out of it?
    Lovely car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

good point, just wonder then when December comes will they have to cut prices even further to make room for 09's!

Not much extras you can throw in when your buying a bmw!:D

They quite possibly could!

What I mean is that they might swap alloys off another car if you didn't like them and asked nicely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

looking at something similar to replace wife's car; things might change again next week, and the week after .....
    anyway, we're looking for an SE spec, with leather and parking sensors. Defo won't be paying 29k though, for a 4.5-5 yo car, as per the one in your link.
    looking like 10-12k GBP after a bit of discount on Autotrader, so maybe 17-20k EUR to have one back in the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Get one with 16 inch wheels. They're infinitely better over bumps than models with larger wheels, as models with 17 inch wheels and bigger have run flat tyres, while models with 16 inch wheels were spared of that misfortune.

Stick with a 6 cylinder engine anyway, they're all good, just don't go for the 520d if you can. 4 cylinder engines have no place in an executive saloon, too noisy and very un cultured sounding(the 520d is only a 4 cylinder engine). The 6 cylinder models(520i-535d) sound far nicer, are much smoother and are quieter too.

Even the 520i is quick enough, though the models higher up the range are faster, and therefore better.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

caesar
    bit of a coiencidence!
    did your brother put that spoiler on DIY style or was it the dealership?
    and honestly did he drive the crap out of it?
    Lovely car

Funny that...the minute I saw the thread title I thought of the car. The spoiler came with the car when he bought it. There was some kind of free BMW service package with it as well, Im pretty sure it was up to the end of 2009. He only bought it around this time last year as he had changed jobs and he no longer had a company car so he had to buy before the new year last year. Anyway around 2 months ago he decided that he needed 7 seats so he traded it in for the XC90. In fact when he bought it he was thinking of an X5 or XC90, but he saw that and he liked it. For a 520 it is a nicely spec'd car. Oh ya its an import, he bought it in Newry (at least I think it was Newry). He didn't drive the crap out of it.....I dont think he would know how to:D PM me if you want to know more.
    sk8board wrote: »
    looking at something similar to replace wife's car; things might change again next week, and the week after .....
    anyway, we're looking for an SE spec, with leather and parking sensors. Defo won't be paying 29k though, for a 4.5-5 yo car, as per the one in your link.
    looking like 10-12k GBP after a bit of discount on Autotrader, so maybe 17-20k EUR to have one back in the drive.

Eh what about VRT.....My bro paid circa 10k VRT, they sent off the VIN to Rosslare so they could find out what extras it had.

Im just after doing a quick check there for what it would be now and the VRT calculator is giving me a figure of around 9K (VRT rate now at 36%).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

E92 wrote: »
    Get one with 16 inch wheels. They're infinitely better over bumps than models with larger wheels, as models with 17 inch wheels and bigger have run flat tyres, while models with 16 inch wheels were spared of that misfortune.

Normally I'd agree but 16" rims just look lost on the E60. Definately avoid the run flats though, heard they make the ride very hard plus they are damn expensive to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

bazz26 wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree but 16" rims just look lost on the E60. Definately avoid the run flats though, heard they make the ride very hard plus they are damn expensive to replace.

IMO 16" would be lost aswell - I have 18" on mine and wouldnt really like to go smaller. The downside is that they are run flat.

• Advertisement

do they have to be run flat if there over 16"?

The problem is that BMW does offer 17 inch wheels AND no run flat tyres for the E60, but we're not offered this possibility. People living in the continent can get 17 inch wheels on their E60s and no run flat tyres at all, even with the facelifted E60. Incidentally the ride on run flats has improved a huge amount over the years as the run flat technology has improved provided you stick with the SE models.

If you get 17s and proper tyres here, then you're not driving a car with official BMW approved wheels/tyres, even though in the continent it is possible:rolleyes::mad:.

BMW Ireland and BMW GB are denying Irish and British customers the option of 17 inch wheels and no run flat tyres.

You either get 16s and no run flats or you get bigger wheels AND run flats.

In the continent you can get 16s or 17s with no run flats even with the facelifted E60. You can, as here get 17s and run flats if you prefer, and like here 18s are run flats only.

The only E60 on sale in Ireland or the UK without run flats is the M5.

The only M model with run flats is the M3 AFAIK(certainly none of the other M models have them).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭maidhc

The problem is that BMW does offer 17 inch wheels AND no run flat tyres for the E60, but we're not offered this possibility. People living in the continent can get 17 inch wheels on their E60s and no run flat tyres at all, even with the facelifted E60. Incidentally the ride on run flats has improved a huge amount over the years as the run flat technology has improved provided you stick with the SE models.

If you get 17s and proper tyres here, then you're not driving a car with official BMW approved wheels/tyres, even though in the continent it is possible:rolleyes::mad:.

BMW Ireland and BMW GB are denying Irish and British customers the option of 17 inch wheels and no run flat tyres.

You either get 16s and no run flats or you get bigger wheels AND run flats.

In the continent you can get 16s or 17s with no run flats even with the facelifted E60. You can, as here get 17s and run flats if you prefer, and like here 18s are run flats only.

The only E60 on sale in Ireland or the UK without run flats is the M5.

The only M model with run flats is the M3 AFAIK(certainly none of the other M models have them).

Can you not solve the problem after 25k miles at your local tyre outfit?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote: »
    Can you not solve the problem after 25k miles at your local tyre outfit?

A voice of reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

unkel wrote: »
    A voice of reason :)

can we not ban him?

sensible has no place around here....

Please?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Get one with 16 inch wheels.
    +1
    4 cylinder engines have no place in an executive saloon, too noisy and very un cultured sounding(the 520d is only a 4 cylinder engine). The 6 cylinder models(520i-535d) sound far nicer, are much smoother and are quieter too.
    what nonsense and the 4-cyl in this proves it.............. ;);)

[EDIT]...the SO on the couch has sought to interject though, that there'S far too many 5-series around to call any of them "executive" - OUCH !! :) [/EDIT]

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I had to agree with some posters, the 16" alloys would be far too small for an E60. I have an E39 with 17" M5 replica alloys, and they even seem too small, compared to my friends E39 with 18" alloys.

Also, runflats are a great concept, manufacturers like BMW do have space for a spare in some of their models (the 5 series for example) but do not include a spare. The reason for this is that run flat tires became standard fitment on BMW vehicles when the 5 Series (E60 Series) was already in production.

I think that they cost nearly double the price of standard tyres, and over use of them while "running flat" will make them unrepairable. Although, no reason why you can't put on a standard tyre.

This won;t be any use to you, but I don't mind too much http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series/530-i/1237717/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If you make such a shift away from the manufacturer's spec as regards tyres, it may affect your stopping distances and insurers could refuse to pay out. If you consider swopping, advise your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Slightly OT but I have an 06 3 Series with the run flats and she's as smooth as a babies arse, ever over the crappy roads and bumps.

The wifes 1 series, however, is a nightmare my kidneys won't soon forget :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know of someone that in august this year traded a 05 golf 1.4 + €15,000 for a 05 3 series 316 BMW. I know the garage has to get their share but was this excessive as the average price of a 05 golf is €15,000 on carzone and the average price of a 3 series 316 BMW is €20,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know of someone that in august this year traded a 05 golf 1.4 + €15,000 for a 05 3 series 316 BMW. I know the garage has to get their share but was this excessive as the average price of a 05 golf is €15,000 on carzone and the average price of a 3 series 316 BMW is €20,000.

One born every minute.. can you let me know when they are changing again.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Sam Kade wrote: »

Good god....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know that I would be fairly pissed off if I went into a garage with a 05 car spent €15000 and came out with a different 05 car.

galwaytt wrote: »

Didn't realise 968s were that soft they're now rivals for a 5 series(then again it does have a slush box:p);):p!

That's an excellent looking 968 btw, I wish more people had that attitude towards looking after their cars.

Anyway you can say what you want about 4 cyls, but with BMW at least it's the difference between night and day, the six cyls are leagues ahead of the fours, the 6 cyl E46 320i is so much better than the 4 cyl 318i it's not even funny. Refinement, noise, power, torque, smoothness, good exhaust note, blah blah blah, you name it the 6 cyl is better. The 6 cyl is only around 4-5 mpg heavier on juice too(the only thing the 4 cyl is better at), tbh if the 6 cyl was 10-12 or even 13 mpg heavier on juice I'd happily pay for running the 6 cyl over the 4 cyl model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

E92 - look, not disagreeing with you.

In fact, my brother currently has a 3.0turbo Saab 9-5 (which I just after, btw...), and it gets, on average, only 1mpg worse on his commute, than his old 2.0lpt. Both are auto.

Just goes to show, it's more about the match of engine to chassis, rather than the numbers on the page.

Pity about his car tax, though.........:(

Mind you, I'd have it in a heartbeat....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

wouldn't agree with that about the 4 cylinders,in the E90s for example the 320i or 320d, are clearly the sweetspot in that range. best value, plenty of power and not ridiculous depreciation. As mentioned above the difference between a 320d and a 325i for example in city driving is pretty much non-existant, except for the 'noise'. Ludicrous to say there is a difference of night and day between them.

In the 5 series the 520d is the one to go for, unless you have money to burn on depreciation or can get a 6 for the same price. (Which may be possible the depreciation is shocking on the bigger engines as no-one wants them on second hand market)

The best model in the (facelifted) E90 is the 330d - 245 bhp, top speed of 250(electronically limited btw) but crucially €302 road tax and 50 mpg. That's called having your cake and eating it. It even revs to 5400 rpm too!

Yup, you've guessed correctly, it's got 6 cylinders.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The best model in the (facelifted) E90 is the 330d - 245 bhp, top speed of 250(electronically limited btw) but crucially €302 road tax and 50 mpg. That's called having your cake and eating it. It even revs to 5400 rpm too!

Yup, you've guessed correctly, it's got 6 cylinders.

Maybe but imo there is a big difference between the sweetspot in the range and the 'best' in the range. Imo anyone who buys anything higher than a 320d new in the E90 range needs their head examined. The 330d would lose you what, at least twice as much year on year in depreciation?

If you could get a second hand 08 after a chunk of the loss, with the cheap road tax maybe, paying 100 a month to tax an earlier one is crazy.

Advertisement