Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a dog from Ashtown Pound.

Options
  • 19-10-2008 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does anyone know what the process is for adopting a dog from Ashtown Dog pound? Do they do a home check? I was out in the DSPCA today but every dog they had was either reserved or not in their kennel!

Does Ashtown give the dog immediately? I need to know so i can buy the little fellow a bed and other doggie things.

Any info on the process involved including costs would be great.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

you could also adopt a dog through Dogs in Distress who take dogs out of that pound, sorry don't know about the fees or anything though but good luck with getting your new little friend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KevinObrien101

I will have a look now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KevinObrien101

Not really what I am looking for, loads of dogs there but too many of them are dotted around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Just give them a call on Monday and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I wouldn't let location hold you back if you want a dog. Whay don't you contact them direct & have a chat with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

You could also try these guys
    http://www.dogsaid.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Is it that you don't want to have a home check and want somewhere that will give you a dog immediately?

Also, the DSPCA get a huge amount of dogs in so while the ones you saw might have been reserved or out of their kennels, they will have plenty to adopt. Did you actually speak to any members of staff when you were there? They have treatment kennels up there where the dogs that just aren't ready to be adopted are kept so if you had spoken to them they may have had one that suited you and you could in the meantime have a homecheck, buy dog stuff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

The last I heard, the fee for adopting directly from Ashton is 20 euro plus 12.50 for your dog licence. The fee for adopting from Dogs In Distress is 100 euro.

The pound don't do homechecks. Dogs In Distress do.

If you are looking to adopt directly from the pound, I suggest you go up there, meet the dogs, maybe take a few for a walk. Then if the dog has already done their stray time, talk to the staff about adopting them. if the dog hasn't finished their stray time, then reserve the one you want.

That would be great if you could adopt from the pound - it frees up a space immediately for another dog that may be in need, and takes pressure off rescues trying to find a foster home.

What sort of dog are you looking for? If it's a restricted breed you won't be able to adopt directly from the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kazza23 wrote: »
    The last I heard, the fee for adopting directly from Ashton is 20 euro plus 12.50 for your dog licence. The fee for adopting from Dogs In Distress is 100 euro.
    When you get a dog from DID he will have been neutered and vacced, I'm not sure if they are if got directly from the pound. Also, if you get a dog which has been in foster, you will get a much better idea of their temperment as their foster family will know them better than the workers at the pound. And finally, sometimes a placement does not work, your circumstances could change (pregnancy is usually the preferred excuse here). In this case, a dog taken from the pound is totally your responsibility, you have to rehome him. If you get a dog through a rescue, they will take the dog back.

Personally, IMO, if the facility is there to get a dog through a rescue, you would be much better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 buzzbuzzbuzz

I adopted a dog from ashton pound a few months ago, like one poster said you just pay 20 euro and the 12.50 fee. No home check. And because our little girl had done her time we got to take her home that day. It feels great to rescue a dog from there, even though they do the best they can, it is a horrible place for a dog to spend anytime.
    Our little girl is doing great now and has settled in very nicely. Spoilt rotten :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll just add to the discussion..

If you adopt through a foster (DiD volunteers for example) you save more than one dog because it free's up a place in the fosterer's home, they can then move another dog out of the pound and so the cycle continues.

Although DiD took a bashing here recently I'd still recommend adopting/fostering through these guys in order to save dogs lives.

How do people feel about adopting from pounds versus rescues, in relation to home checks? While it is great that people are saving dogs straight from the pound, thereby saving them from being put to sleep, there has to be concerns regarding the fact that homechecks aren't carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Vel wrote: »
    How do people feel about adopting from pounds versus rescues, in relation to home checks? While it is great that people are saving dogs straight from the pound, thereby saving them from being put to sleep, there has to be concerns regarding the fact that homechecks aren't carried out.

I'm in two minds about home checks tbh.

What qualifies someone to make a home check?, nothing so far as I can see.

In thory I guess its a good thing, but I know people who do home checks who I wouldn't trust to cross the road unsupervised!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

And the thing about H/C is that u only see what the people want u to see and hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I prefer the idea of a homecheck, but having said that, I think many people are turned off the idea of rescuing because they don't want the hassle and intrusion. Wonder how many have bought off breeders just to avoid a homecheck?

Edit: And I wonder how many people failed a homecheck, then went out and bought a dog anyway?! GRRR :mad::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Glowing wrote: »
    I prefer the idea of a homecheck, but having said that, I think many people are turned off the idea of rescuing because they don't want the hassle and intrusion. Wonder how many have bought off breeders just to avoid a homecheck?

Edit: And I wonder how many people failed a homecheck, then went out and bought a dog anyway?! GRRR :mad::eek:

As you know, I have worked with a lot of Greyhound rescues for the last decade. I have been to a few homechecks. I, also, am in two minds. Nothing prevents the people from going elsewhere, anyways. Sometimes the only reason for a homecheck is for the piece of mind for the rescue. Other times it works out well and you can point out some things that would make it easier to bring the pet into the fold.

I hate to do them, and I would hate to have people in my house whom I think are judging me(I have issues with authority, just ask anyone). My last Greyhound pup I brought in from a farm myself because one of the rescues I work for here would not allow me to adopt one of their dogs simply because I worked a long shift(4 days on 12 hours a day, then 4 days off). They didn't care that I had dog-friendly roommates renting rooms, or the fact I had a large walled-in garden with a dog door. 'It was OK for me to do their dirty work, but I wasn't good enough for their dogs' is the message I got. I was just a bit disappointed. Needless to say, I stopped doing work for them and went to someone else whom needed the help.

I also had a friend, whom loves dogs and cares for his rather well, turned down after a home check. They said they didn't have enough room, and didn't trust them to walk the dog(more or less). Where did they do? They went to Ashtown and got a dog, and he is now one of the happiest dogs I have ever seen. They keep him indoors and walk him often, and love playing catch with him at the local park. Some of the rescues are just a tad daft. It's the same in the states, too. Like everything, it's not a perfect system. Certainly nothing with human interaction ever is...

WYK

Its a difficult one alright. I suppose a reputable rescue should be able to judge whether a particular home is right and surely at least seeing the home and where the dog will live is better than not seeing it at all. Plus there is the issue surrounding neutering and a dog coming from the pound is most likely not going to be neutered. I heard of a dog adopted from a pound and then a few years later she was surrendered back in together with her 5 pups :mad:

Do pounds ever refuse to give a dog to someone? For example, if they got a bad feeling about a situation or the reasons someone might be wanting to adopt a dog?

I recently heard that a particular group of men, who may be involved in dog fighting were doing the rounds of some pounds looking for dogs. I'm not sure if they were looking for dogs they might try to fight or for bait dogs and I don't know if they ended up getting any dogs, but I wonder in a case like that would the pround refuse to give them a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I worked for ashtown pound (for a very short amount of time) it is a horrible place and they put dogs down every day. They dont do home checks from what Im aware but I believe they do enforce getting the dog nutered, you pay a fee for it. At least you used to. I worked there a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Puddleduck wrote: »
    I worked for ashtown pound (for a very short amount of time) it is a horrible place and they put dogs down every day. They dont do home checks from what Im aware but I believe they do enforce getting the dog nutered, you pay a fee for it. At least you used to. I worked there a while back

All pounds are horrible places where dogs are put down every day. It is sad and unfortunate, but they are neccessary. The really horrible thing in this equation is the people who let their dogs stray, wander, breed etc and leave their dogs for others to look after or sort out. I'm sure the people there are doing the best they can with the limited funds available.

The quickest way to get a dog is to go to the pound directly and talk to someone. The best dog we had as a child came from the pound.

If you have kids and are inexperienced with dogs the safer option would be to go through a rescue such as dogs in distress, ( i got two of mine from them) or dogsaid or similar. The people working in these organisations do a lot of work in bringing the dogs on and assessing their personalities, looking after their health, neutering etc and if the dog is in foster, while it may take a bit longer to get, you will have a better idea of how it interacts with kids, people, strangers, if it's house trained, lead trained, calm, gentle, neurotic.
    There are many advantages to going the rescue route, and while a home check might be an inconvenience, it is done with the best of intentions. (Although some of the stories above sound like the checkers were a bit over zealous).

Had you got your eye on a particular dog? If not why not check out the websites for dogs aid and dogs in distress.

Also there is a pretty fantastic sounding dog looking for a home in the homes needed section at the top of this forum. He sounds great.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

All pounds are horrible places where dogs are put down every day. It is sad and unfortunate, but they are neccessary. The really horrible thing in this equation is the people who let their dogs stray, wander, breed etc and leave their dogs for others to look after or sort out. I'm sure the people there are doing the best they can with the limited funds available.

The quickest way to get a dog is to go to the pound directly and talk to someone. The best dog we had as a child came from the pound.

If you have kids and are inexperienced with dogs the safer option would be to go through a rescue such as dogs in distress, ( i got two of mine from them) or dogsaid or similar. The people working in these organisations do a lot of work in bringing the dogs on and assessing their personalities, looking after their health, neutering etc and if the dog is in foster, while it may take a bit longer to get, you will have a better idea of how it interacts with kids, people, strangers, if it's house trained, lead trained, calm, gentle, neurotic.
    There are many advantages to going the rescue route, and while a home check might be an inconvenience, it is done with the best of intentions. (Although some of the stories above sound like the checkers were a bit over zealous).

Had you got your eye on a particular dog? If not why not check out the websites for dogs aid and dogs in distress.

Also there is a pretty fantastic sounding dog looking for a home in the homes needed section at the top of this forum. He sounds great.:

It breaks my heart to have to do this, but we are looking for a home for our dog, Darcy. He is 3.5 years old, fully vaccinated, neutered, wormed and treated for fleas. We have had him since a puppy. He is a mongrel, cross between a St Bernard and a collie. Pretty big size as you might guess. Handsome dog too - as you can see from the photo.

He is very gentle, house trained and obedient and travels well in the car. He is a quiet dog, the odd day that I work full-time our neighbours have said they have never even heard him barking. Barks rarely really. He is very friendly so might jump up on you if he knows you, and would reach our shoulders! Our only problem we ever had with him is that he goes mad barking at kites on the beach!!

I have had to go back to work full-time recently, and our garden is quite small. He likes company too much to leave him alone in a back garden all day. He seems to be getting depressed and we hate to see him like this. We have an 18month old, and he has been very gentle with her - even when she is hitting him!!

We are based in North County Dublin but willing to travel anywhere to the right home[
    PM if interested

A photo of him
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/151866/64999.jpg

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

When you adopt straight from the pound the dog will be neutered and microchipped. You also have to pay for a dog license.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

When you adopt straight from the pound the dog will be neutered and microchipped. You also have to pay for a dog license.

Thats not true, my dad adopted a dog from the pound last week and she's not neutered. We did get a voucher for cut price neutering but the onus is on the new owners to bring the dog for the op, theres no follow up to check its done.

The pound is a horrible place, i was in tears in the place as its heartbreaking to choose just one when they're all giving you the "pick me" sad eyes.

When you adopt straight from the pound the dog will be neutered and microchipped.

I'm almost 100% sure you are incorrect about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Dogs coming from Ashton pound are definitely not neutered and I'm fairly sure they are not microchipped. Other pounds have different policies, Meath being one of the best IMO.

The thing with homechecks is that while they may not be 100%, they can help rule out certain problems. Like you can see whether there is a secure garden or not. Considering the time and effort a rescue puts into most of the dogs they are rehoming I think it is fair for them to get to make sure of things like that. The homecheck is also a good time for the potential new owner to get to have a relaxed chat with someone about owning a dog or whatever animal they are looking to home.

If the home check is done well, but the people don't - for whatever reason - end up homing from them hopefully these people will still have learned things from the experience and may do things slightly differently from how they would if they hadn't had a home check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I do home visits before and after rehoming. I've also got a HC questionaire which is to be filled in during the HC and which is being dated and signed by both the HCer and the potential adoptee. I think it is important to do HC's. I don't rehome to certain areas in Limerick, Galway etc. However, I do not know the *dodgy* areas in let's say Cork for example. So a home visit can put that straight. Lexi has had loads of interest and I had to fail the first FOUR hc's and I am glad I did as he is now going to a brilliant home. I've also had alot of peeps lying to me when they came to view a dog only to find out when doing the HC that they had done so.

TBH, I do not care if I hurt people's feelings, I KNOW the dogs in my care and if I say *no small children* for example and I find a highchair tucked away in a kitchen whilst doing the HC then I am more than glad I did the HC.

Nothing is fool proof but HC's are vital. If people refuse a HC then they are nott getting a dog from me, as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Airsoftcrazy

Mairt wrote: »
    I'll just add to the discussion..

If you adopt through a foster (DiD volunteers for example) you save more than one dog because it free's up a place in the fosterer's home, they can then move another dog out of the pound and so the cycle continues.

Although DiD took a bashing here recently I'd still recommend adopting/fostering through these guys in order to save dogs lives.
    do you now what road its on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EGAR wrote: »
    I don't rehome to certain areas in Limerick, Galway etc. However, I do not know the *dodgy* areas in let's say Cork for example. So a home visit can put that straight.

Classy, are certain skin colours disqualified too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

Vel wrote: »

I recently heard that a particular group of men, who may be involved in dog fighting were doing the rounds of some pounds looking for dogs. I'm not sure if they were looking for dogs they might try to fight or for bait dogs and I don't know if they ended up getting any dogs, but I wonder in a case like that would the pround refuse to give them a dog.

Vel you are correct. These guys drive a large white van with 3 to 4 rough guys in it. They barged into Ashton Dog Pound when waiting for it to open. They had their name down for my dog, Yeah booked him that day. They barged in AND told to get out. They went out to sit in their van... not at all happy. I was allowed in and went straight to the dog that i wanted to meet and walk. Took him outside and heard shouting from the van " Are you taking that dog home with you"? I said "YES".
    Later the staff member told me they had booked him but didnt want him to go to them. She wouldnt say why but after looking at animal rescue websites and regularly visiting pounds, i guessed this was the famous white van who take dogs out from pounds and are never seen again.
    Anyway, just to say i would be lost without my dog now, definately part of the family and is loved and cared for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Airsoftcrazy

i found where it is thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

When you adopt from a rescue you get an idea of the dogs breed. I do know someone who adopted from did and the dog came straight from the pound and not neutered so would have been just aswell going through the pound. They must have strange politics as I have offered foster for them but for some reason get ignored, maybe because i set up to foster elsewhere.

Its not about where you rescue the dog from, its about getting the right dog for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement