Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a dog from Ashtown Pound.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Great to see i wasnt the only one who was turned off this 'non' registered charity, can i ask exactly how long DID have been going ? and why have they been refused a registered charity number it must be years now ?
    and if so many of you have such bad experiences WHY not report it all somewere or go to the Joe duffy show and all stand together with your worries or concerns ? sounds like there are some genuine good people like you Suzi but all these people with bad experiences cannot be makeing it up, surely? can i ask an innocent question out of curiosty, how much would you get for one pup going to the UK ? now i have spoken to a lot of people both in Ireland and the UK so please answer honestly if you are allowed ?

What do you mean, how much would you get? They don't sell the pups to anyone in the UK, if dogs get sent over there, they go to the Dogs Trust.

If so many people have had bad experiences, why not do something a bit more positive and actually get involved with saving dogs from Ashton yourselves?

Ashton let other rescues in to take dogs out, so start up your own rescue and get the dogs out, get them neutered, chipped, vaccinated etc and rehome them - simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Coppernlucy

So are you confirming they do not receive any money from UK rescues for their pups ? and they only go to Dogstrust ? are you saying they have never sent dogs/pups over to the UK and received payment from any of the rescues ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

So are you confirming they do not receive any money from UK rescues for their pups ? and they only go to Dogstrust ? are you saying they have never sent dogs/pups over to the UK and received payment from any of the rescues ?

I'm not part of DiD, so I can't confirm anything. As far as I am aware they send dogs over to the UK to rescues, either DiD or the UK rescue will pay the transport fee. I would be absolutely astounded if they had sold any dogs to a UK rescue, I don't know any rescue that buys dogs.

You obviously know something I don't, so why don't you post facts on here instead of inuendo? If what you're alleging is true, I'd love to know obviously it would put a whole different view on things. But, I will only accept what you are alluding to if you have facts to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I am so upset and hurt at the above posts, really I am. I genuinely give up my time, money, energy and put in so much work to find countless dogs a better home in life...or indeed a life to begin with. I DO NOT RECEIVE ONE CENT for doing what I do, neither do any of the other girls. In fact being part of Dogs in Distress costs me a fair amount, with phone bills, fuel costs, food for dogs when needed etc.

Why does everyone think a rescue is capable of making any profit what so ever!!! Do you not think we have vets bills!?!?! They are in excess of €4,000.00 a month. NOT INCLUDING VACCINATING/MICRO-CHIPPING OR NEUTERING.....this is only for sick dogs!!!

The €150 donation we ask, does not even cover the cost of the money that goes into every dog and pup!!! Do you think we have some magical vet that will do everything for free??? I am horrified at peoples lack of thought. Do you think that if Dogs in Distress was a business I would have to have a full time job and work late into the night. All anyone has to do is go on to the website and see what times of the day and night we work. WE ARE VOLUNTEERS!

The reason someone did not get a dog or pup from us is probably because we deemed them unsuitable and not an upgrade that the dog deserved.

I have been working with DID for 3 years, since that time we have never been given any money for dogs or pups going to the UK. They go to Dogs Trust. Look it up...Dogs Trust do not pay for dogs!!!!! In fact those of you who aren't aware it can cost up to €100.00 to send a dog to the UK and the dog has to be vaccinated and neutered (if old enough). What rescue in the UK do you think is going to pay for dogs??? Do you think they have the money either???

It is people that post up negative and hateful comments that make me want to give up and we are very close to that.

I do hope someone contacts the media/radio or who ever they would like.... to be honest it will only highlight all the good work Dogs in Distress do and how much time and energy is put into helping dogs. They will find nothing wrong with our organisation! Big deal we don't have a charity number....we have been applying for it but it takes ages as most of our accounts were lost in a fire and it take months and months of accountants to go through everything...the more you do the longer it takes..if we were doing something underhanded don't you think we'd be shut down by now. I certainly am not making a profit with Dogs in Distress....I still live with my parents ! I am also highly qualified to work with animals and could be out charging money instead of using my free/or not so free time to be helping dogs. To be honest I have a huge list of things to do today and did not have the time to replying to such negative people as yourselves.

Also could people STOP confusing us with the dog pound. We are not the pound!!!!

Again you are welcome to call me on 086xxxxxxx I do my very best to answer every call. Or email me on Mod edit: No email addresses allowed I WILL ALWAYS ANSWER MY EMAILS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gkd

Anyone who has been on the dogsindistress website or forum will know who I am. My name is Gwen and I am one of the foster co-ordinators for Dogs in Distress.

I agree with everything that Suzi has said. I know I speak on behalf of all the girls when I say that none of us are looking for any praise for what we do. We are only in rescue to help as many dogs and pups that we can, however, as we are all volunteers, have full time jobs and families and dogs of our own sometimes a phone call or email slips through the cracks and surely it would be better to pick up the phone and ring one of us and clarify matters rather than posting on boards?

Cosnochta I have pm'd you. I would really appreciate if you could contact me about your fostering experience and give me some more details so I can look into this further. As Suzi already said we are always looking to better our service and always welcome direct contact either by phone or email if you have any comments to make.

And for those of you who are interested in Fostering and are free until at least the middle of January please fill in a foster form which you will find on the main page of our website www.dogsindistress.org under the link forms & downloads and email it to me at Mod edit: No way and I can give you a ring to discuss things further. This is one of our busiest times of the year :mad:

Thanks

Gwen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would also like to add that when ever negative posts go up about Dogs in Distress and we leave our contact details to discuss any matters...no one contacts us.

You care enough to post up slating a volunteer organisation about the work that they do but not take it any further when you are given the option!?

Also I am happy to post up and say who I am and what I do along with the other members but anyone posting up nasty comments remains anonymous leaving no details so we can track down where we are supposed to have gone wrong with how we dealt with your individual situation. How are we supposed to respond if we have no information to go on??? How does this help anyone?

I would love more attention to be brought to animal welfare and the situation that abandoned dogs face in this country and why dogs sometimes have to be sent to the UK. We most definately do not do this often as most other rescues (as can be seen in our happy endings section).

I am also happy to deal with any complaints in a professional manner.

If you don't want to work with Dogs in Distress don't..... but don't let the dogs suffer and don't put people off getting a rescue dog either. Don't put people off helping rescues or volunteering either. The only ones to loose out is the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Closed pending mod review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement