Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'98 Clio Radio Question...

Options
  • 19-10-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

So, my sister has very kindly donated to me her old '98 Clio (my first car) ;) It runs fine, is NCT'd til late next year and doesn't seem to have too many quirks.

However, one thing I'd love to make some changes to is the radio. She had replaced the original cassette deck (shudder) model with a JVC KD-S641. Now, what I'd really love is to get a 3.5mm jack in there *somewhere* so I could run my MP3 player through the speakers. I've had a look around online but there doesn't seem to be an aux input at all for the JVC KD-S641... Does anyone know if I'm out of luck?

Alternatively, I would consider replacing the unit entirely - If I did that, I've two more questions:

1. Is it difficult to remove an old and install a new radio? I'm tech savvy enough, but if I don't have the tools etc. then I may just have somewhere do it for me.
    2. What are the chances that the replacement radio I get will be compatible with the steering wheel stalk remote control? The current JVC either (a) isn't hooked up correctly, or (b) is not compatible with the original remote control on the Clio.

Thanks in advance - there might be more questions regarding central locking and the alarm coming soon :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

changing a head unit is pretty straight forward. Halfords will have tools for removing the old one and then you just have to connect and slide in the new one.

As for the remote behind the steering wheel, you can get adapters from Renault for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for the reply, ShayK1.

I've been thinking a bit more on this and I'm now considering getting the JVC KD-PDR41 (http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jvc-kdpdr41-p-6503.html) - I think I should be able to fit it myself.

Does anyone know what else I'd require to hook this up to the remote control stalk on a Renault Clio II? I believe there's some adaptors around for about €20-€25 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'd ask in a Renault garage before buying a unit. I was looking into the same thing when I had my clio. I was told that the connector will fit most usual brands but not all. I didn't bother in the end though. You get used to not having the remote after awhile.

AFAIK its the same as the usual ISO block you get when you buy a head unit.
    If you don't know what an ISO block is, google it.

here's a pic

bmw_iso_connector.jpg

Advertisement