Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London marathon training log/blog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

2 miles warm up followed by approx 4 miles fartlek. Most reps were short and relatively quick. 30 second recovery between each. Felt really good. Injury didn't cause any problem and my fitness isn't too bad. It was a beautiful today also. Was out at lunch time. Think I may have got a tan :)

I don't think I'm going to run beach race on Saturday now :(
    I have tickets for a gig the night before but was going to skip it to join my fellow Boards AC team members. However it has transpired my re-registration with BOARDS has been flagged as I'm a long time BHAA runner with my current employer. If I have no team I'm going to skip the race. Was only doing it for the camaraderie and will enjoy myself at the gig instead. A bit disappointing all in all !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

I don't think I'm going to run beach race on Saturday now :(
    I have tickets for a gig the night before but was going to skip it to join my fellow Boards AC team members. However it has transpired my re-registration with BOARDS has been flagged as I'm a long time BHAA runner with my current employer. If I have no team I'm going to skip the race. Was only doing it for the camaraderie and will enjoy myself at the gig instead. A bit disappointing all in all !

Shame - was looking forward to putting a face to a (user)name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Did you ring Charlie in the end

Sent him and received an email from him, also missed a call from him.

I think its basically a no go but sure we'll see what happens !

Peckham wrote: »
    Shame - was looking forward to putting a face to a (user)name

If not this Saturday maybe at the next race :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sent him and received an email from him, also missed a call from him.

I think its basically a no go but sure we'll see what happens !

ah thats a pity , maybe they are afraid that were getting a strong team ...

shels4ever wrote: »
    ah thats a pity , maybe they are afraid that were getting a strong team ...

Something like that. Most of guys were teamless in the BHAA but seen as I have had a team in the past they are a bit reluctant. I can actually see where they are coming from.

Well for me I was a member last year, I think I had a really low standard last year....

Couldn't run Thursday or Friday due to work commitments. Pain in the bum to be honest. If I was racing regularly I wouldn't have let this happen. In the past I have gone out running very early or late in the day just to get my training in. However when I'm not racing its harder to stay disciplined. Work is right pain at the moment but should ease u the end of next week. Will have to watch my time management closely next week to make sure I get time to train.

Went out this evening at 4. I think I waited until it was raining the heaviest !!!! Wasn't really in the mood but once I got going I felt great. I hammered out 8 miles pretty quick all on the road. Joints and muscles feel fine so that is a bonus.

I managed to cut both my nipples though ! The rain and wind were in my face for the second 4 miles. I forgot to put some vaseline on. Last 2 miles felt like chinese torture, nipples were very very sore. I don't think there is anything in the world as painful as nipple rub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

LOL. Runners nipple is brutal. And when you get into the shower:eek:. I was out one night wearing a light yellow top, could,nt understand why people were looking at me, when I got home I had two bright red patches on my chest.
    If their cut make sure you put some disinfecting or sudo on them. I imagine if they got infected life would not be worth living.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Never had the runners nipple thing but I'd imagine its pretty sore and as for infection.. Dude! Thats the stuff of nightmares.

As if running a marathon was not hard enough my OH saw a guy with a white top on coming in at the end of the DM and he had 2 streams of blood going on... mother of god ouch!!

Good to see you are coming out of the injurr RR and sensible too backing off a little even though the legs felt great. Good luck getting yourself fit to train again. Keeping an eye on this log for sure :)

Yeah the auld nipples were in bits all right. I had to u vaselin on them last night when I was going out for a pint ! The shirt I was wearing was unforgiving. I ended up with massive blisters on my feet today after my run, so now I hve something else to moan about :)

If I ever got nipple rub in a race (especially a marathon). I'd whip my t-shirt off wouldn't care how cold or how much of a gob$hite I looked like !

Ended up meeting with some friends this morning. I had planned on running very easy but that went out the window. The lads are very good runners and are a lot fitter than me so their 70% was more like 85% for me.

I still enjoyed the run and in the end it didn't take too much out of me. In future I will drop back but it was great to be able to run with the lads again.

I still enjoyed the run and in the end it didn't take too much out of me.

This statement was untrue ! I ended up in bed yesterday afternoon ! I was knackered for the whole day. Flogging yourself really doesn't pay.

Right so I really need to kop myself on. Had planned on running 8 miles very easy today. Got a call to meet a couple of friends and yet again got caught up in a pace that is just too quick for me at the moment. I had the good sense to stop at 6 miles so that's some progress.

Going to run on my own tomorrow. I don't care if Haile Gebreselassie himself gives me a buzz tomorrow I'm going solo and I'm going slow.

Right so I really need to kop myself on. Had planned on running 8 miles very easy today. Got a call to meet a couple of friends and yet again got caught up in a pace that is just too quick for me at the moment. I had the good sense to stop at 6 miles so that's some progress.

Going to run on my own tomorrow. I don't care if Haile Gebreselassie himself gives me a buzz tomorrow I'm going solo and I'm going slow.
    Thats a hard few days training , you must be wrecked....

yes I am. My legs are very sore. It's good to go hard now and again to give the body a bit of a shock, but that was 3 days in a row. I'm lucky I didn't pick up an injury. Today is going to be really really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good log The Roadrunner.
    Some recent runs you describe as hard. I assume for most of us running mortals those times are impressively quick.
    Do you mind logging times for your sessions hard or be it easy? Do you use a HRM in your sessions?

Hi Abhainn

Thanks for the comment

I'm not using a HRM at the moment. The battery in the monitor died a couple of months back. I can usually judge quite accurately how much effort I'm putting in so I'm in no hurry to replace it. I'll probably do this after Christmas when my training becomes more focused though.

When I say I'm going quite hard I suppose I'm covering a mile in about 6 mins 30 seconds , sometimes I'm quicker, sometimes slower depending on the day and how I feel. Yesterdays run averaged around 6 minutes 10 seconds per mile. This is too quick for me at the moment. Normal tempo is around 7 minutes per mile for me when training. Easier runs may be 15 seconds slower.

I'm trying not to get get caught up in pace and miles per week etc until after Christmas. I think I have some sort of OCD and end up becoming obsessed with mileage and speed etc. I will get more scientific after Christmas though !

Cheers

Got a nice 8 miles in today. I was a lot more tired than even I thought. Legs were aching but they eased out as I ran. Run was all on grass so that helped.

I have fartlek planned for tomorrow. I usually throw an extra bit in myself before jumping in the session with the lads I do it with. May not do that tomorrow depending on how I feel. Now I think of it I'm actually going to put my recovery skins on tonight. I have found them great in the past, so tonight is a good test to measure their healing powers !!!

Also need to do some stretching later this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I'm trying not to get get caught up in pace and miles per week etc until after Christmas. I think I have some sort of OCD and end up becoming obsessed with mileage and speed etc. I will get more scientific after Christmas though !

I stay clear of the speed and mileage as much as possible. I'll only wear a watch for days like today where I had to do 3 mins on, 2 mins off. Any other time the watch stays at home.

Best of luck with the training. It looks like the two of us are shooting for the same type of time around the same time of year so if you ever need someone to head out on a run with you shout this way.

Excellent. Will definitely make plans to meet up and see if we can do some training together. It's much easier getting out of bed to run 20 miles when you have someone to do it with !

What marathon are you running ?

Got out at lunch today. It was a great day for it. I'm still knackered from all the hard running of recent days. I am usually well up in the fartlek but today I sat back and let others dictate the pace. I was very tired when I finished and could have gone straight to bed.

It was a bit disheartening at first. 4 months ago I was training at a much higher intensity and it was taking nothing out of me. I have seen the light in the mean time. I'm actually just delighted to be running after a 2 month injury. My first run back after that injury lasted 10 minutes as I was still sore and very very unfit. So I'm just happy to be where I am at the moment.

I'm going to rejig the week and take tomorrow off. If I'm still feeling wrecked on Friday I will take that off also. I should be ok though. I'll hit the hay early tonight and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

What marathon are you running ?

At the moment I just have the time of year rather than the exact marathon... it's down to four I think!

decisions decisions :)

Spring time marathons are my favourite. Very easy to get motivated for them after the excesses of Christmas

Wasn't feeling great today. I'm feeling a bit run down so took it very handy. covered 6 miles all on grass. Didn't particularly enjoy it but I'm glad I got something light in.

Hopefully I'll do an hour tomorrow and a long run Sunday. I had planned on doing a session of 1ks tomorrow but I'm definitely not doing them now.

I'm going to sit down next week and draw up an 8 week training plan that will start in December and get me in decent shape for the Raheny 5. Training is ambling along but I need to focus it eventually. Plan won't be anything too severe.

What a difference 24 hours can make. Went out for a few pints last night and had a great sleep! I was bouncing around this morning feeling great. I made sure to drink a good bit of water before going to bed and hydrated myself this morning also. I think I'm going to incorporate pub sessions into my training ;)

Ended up doing 9 miles on the road. I am sick of trudging trhrough the mud and wanted to do something with a bit of tempo so I hit the road. First 5 miles were all under 6.30 pace. I was delighted with his because it felt so easy, I had to keep telling myself to ease back because I felt very fresh.

I decided to take the breaks off slightly and ran the last 4 at a good clip, 6.20,6.15,6.15, 5.55. Again I was delighted with these because it felt so easy (well the last one hurt a little if I'm honest)

I plan on doing 90 minutes tomorrow. I won't make the same mistake as last week and will make sure it is very very easy.

Anyway todays run has really made my weekend:)

i know what you mean about the mud, been very bad the last week.

Great run this morning. Probably a little quicker than planned but wasn't silly. Nothing much else to say about this one.

• Advertisement

Ran on the roads again today. After 90 minutes up to my ankles in mud yesterday I decided I couldn't face it again. Went on easy enough but picked up the pace without realising. Was feeling good at the end.

I still haven't put any real training plan on paper yet. Work is mental at the moment so I'm just happy I'm getting out. I don't want to force myself into doing hard sessions and then getting a pain in the ass with them. I checked the Londona marathon website today and it's just over 5 months away. That gave me a bit of a shock. 5 months is a long time for some sports, but when you are trying to prepare for the 26 odd miles at a tempo that would kill you if you did 5 miles at that pace at the moment its not long enough.

Advertisement