Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London marathon training log/blog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Holy crap. These training logs are updated regularly. Miss a day and you disappear from the page

Well I deviated from the schedule today. I did a pyramid session of 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 minutes with 1 minute recovery.

Decided on this session as a group I train with were doing it and it beat running on my own.

It was tough enough. The average pace was 5.30 which wasn't too bad all things considered.

I may incorporate this into my schedule but increase the number of reps. I'll see how I feel next week. Overall the session was 7 miles including warm up and cool down.

I hope to get out for 10-12 miles tomorrow. I'm raring to go for a run now so hopefully I'll hold onto this feeling tomorrow and do something nice and brisk.

I've made a physio appointment for Friday. I'm having some serious tightness around my hips and arse ! More worryingly different muscles in my back are very tight. I've been stretching plenty and hopefully the physio will help knead out some of the knots. Not a major worry really just preventative.

Bit of a disaster of a day. Got stuck in meetings. Didn't take enough food on board due to stupid meetings. Missed lunch time run because of stupid meetings.

Got out this evening and did ten miles. Probably should have done an extra 2 miles but had some tightness in my back so decided not to push it. Planned on doing the 10 miles in around 70 minutes. Finished in 70.07 Great pacing :) Actually got stopped at lights so I'll round down to 70.01 :)

Felt tired today so stuck to 8 miles. Stayed on grass for the majority which was also a help to my aching muscle. Got around in 56.20 without too much effort so happy enough.

Will rest tomorrow, see physio then race Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Well I decided to run my second cross country race of the year. I really do hate cross country and was looking for any excuse to avoid it. However I ran it and same as last weekend I actually ran really well.

I did a decent warm up and loads of stretches etc. Decided to run a similar strategy as last week and try and come though the field. I probably went off a little too quick for the first mile and was passed by one guy 1.5 miles in. After that nobody got by me and I picked up a good few places. I ran very evenly and held a little back for a quick last mile which helped me pick up an additional couple places. I finished 8th overall in 28.29. The conditions weren't too bad all things considered although the wind did pick up on the last lap.

I got a nice 2 mile cool down in and for the first time in years I was part of a team. ND 1978 was also on the team and we finished 5th in Class 1. Hopefully we can slowly make some progress over the coming weeks.

9 Miles total for Saturday

Felt fine this morning but wasn't in the mood of running on my own so I headed to Tymon park to watch the Leinster cross country as I ran around.

The weather wasn't very nice and the course was quite muddy. I set the watch so I couldn't monitor my pace just distance covered. I did this as I wanted to run easy and secondly I can never run at a decent pace in Tymon park for some reason.

I ran 13 miles at an average pace of 7.40. I shoud really be hitting around the 7 minute mark or lower but all things considered this is not an issue at this early stage of my marathon training. A couple of people including Racing Flat commented on the number of races I had planned and how they might impac on my long runs. I have made alterations to my training plan and may make further changes as the races may reduce the quality of my long runs.

I'm running Raheny next weekend so my long run of the week (13-15 miles) will be run on Wednesday or Thursday. After that I may take a skip a couple of races so as to build up my long runs at the weekend. Anyway I'll keep an eye on these things closely.

Total mileage for this week was 55 miles. Hope to build sustain that next week and hit 60 the following week

• Advertisement

Headed out at lunch today. I was running with a couple of friends and we really thought we were moving at a decent pace.

Finished 8 miles in just under 58 minutes. Couldn't believe the time. I was expecting 54-55 minutes. It's not a big thing but it just goes to show how the weather etc can impact on your pace. I was going to keep going and get 10 miles in but decided against it. I want to run a decent pyramid session tomorrow and will throw an extra 3 minutes compared to last week in as well.

Happy enough to have got today's run in the bag

It was bloody freezing today so I was glad to have company on the pyramid session. I threw in an extra 3 minute rep this week compared to last weeks. Each rep was run at a similar pace which was good. The overall pace wasn't great though due to the poxy cold weather. Will add to this session next week again. I find it better than just doing kms or miles. Will continue to buold up to 6 minutes etc. 7 miles in total including warm up and cool down.

Hope to get a longish run of at least 13 miles tomorrow. I may put it off until Thursday depending on my mood/weather/alignment of the stars etc. I have a right pain in my ass with the month of January this year. I usually don't mind it.

Decided to get longish run in today as it suited work wise. I have to say it was very tough. First and last 2.5 miles were on the road and these were ok the remaining 9 miles were in a very very muddy and waterlogged park. I was wrecked by the time I finished.

Average pace was 7.05 a mile. I'll have to have a look at the difference in mile pace on the road compared to the mud because I was struggling in the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Decided to get longish run in today as it suited work wise. I have to say it was very tough. First and last 2.5 miles were on the road and these were ok the remaining 9 miles were in a very very muddy and waterlogged park. I was wrecked by the time I finished.

Average pace was 7.05 a mile. I'll have to have a look at the difference in mile pace on the road compared to the mud because I was struggling in the park.

That's some pace, if nine of your miles were through mud and puddles. You must have been flying on the roads. Hard conditions, well done.

That's some pace, if nine of your miles were through mud and puddles. You must have been flying on the roads. Hard conditions, well done.

Thanks. I've said in some earlier posts that I wasn't worried about the pace yet, but it is playing on my mind. My target pace for London is about 6 minutes per mile so I really have to do some quality pace in my longer runs as well. I do find I run quicker on the roads so hopefully the mud is keeping me injury free and making me strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Thanks. I've said in some earlier posts that I wasn't worried about the pace yet, but it is playing on my mind. My target pace for London is about 6 minutes per mile so I really have to do some quality pace in my longer runs as well. I do find I run quicker on the roads so hopefully the mud is keeping me injury free and making me strong

I think the 'long runs are about time on feet more than pace' maxim only holds trueup to a certain point (e.g. people who just want to complete). 10-20% slower than marathon pace isn't a bad rule of thumb - for you 6.36-7.12 pace. I'd definitely want to be closer to the 10% for some of the longer runs.

This will be easier if you treat the long run as one of your two weekly sessions (which you have to do once you get past 15miles I think). To do this you might need to scrap some of the shorter races - what are they really doing for you in relation to your marathon training? Probably too fast for a tempo run that will benefit marathon racing. Using them as a tempo is all well and good once they don't impose on the long run. If you do find them useful, maybe do the long run midweek instead (or find midweek races!).

Mix it up by either going for the whole 20 mile at 6.36 or perhaps spend the first 15miles or so at 7.12-30 and the last 5 at 6.00pace. I'd also try and do a half marathon -15miles once, maybe twice at 6.00pace.

But your midweek long run and the weekend long run should be getting closer to 6.36 every week IMHO.

Edit: if you want to stay on mud, replace word pace above with effort. My 6.05 road pace is about 6.25 on grass...

Cheers. Thanks for the comments. These are things that have been floating around in my head the last 2 weeks so its good to have them reinforced by someone else.

I will be definitely dropping some more of my planned races. You are right about treating the long run as a primary session of the week. In the past I have always had the mantra of doing a really good long run and letting the rest of the week look after itself. The races gave me the impetus to train initially but it's all about the 26th of April from here on in.

Around 6.30 is the kind of pace I want to hit for most of my 20 mile runs. I plan on splitting these in two. The first 10 will be on grass so the pace will be slower. The second ten will be on the road so maybe a little quicker than 6.30 pace. I'm getting a little worried about my long runs now so planning and execution is crucial. The 15 pace mile pace run is something else I will definitely be doing. I'm going to build up to this over the coming 6 weeks and when I do it will run it on the road also.

Will miss Raheny this weekend so will do a 6-7 mile tempo run on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

One thing that's said to me plenty by my coach is that when training for a marathon the two speedwork sessions during the week are all about getting ready for the long run at the weekend. The long run is the most important run of your week for the next 13 or so weeks. When training for 10k races the long run is less important and your training is all about the two workouts during the week.

Weeks that I race on I don't tend to do a long run that week. I just don't have it in my legs, I know I'd injure myself. The race takes the place of the long run that week. It's worked for me before and fingers crossed it'll work again this year.

Provisionally these are the races I'll do in my build up to the marathon this Spring.

10k road race or Intermediate XC (15 Feb)
    Ballycotton (8 Mar)
    Half Marathon somewhere (22 or 29 march)
    Something short in April - 10k or 5 miles
    Marathon (May Bank Holiday weekend)

Weeks that I race on I don't tend to do a long run that week. The race takes the place of the long run that week.

QFT. Hence I'll only race once a month or so in the last 3 months before the marathon - I get into a routine of 3 hard training weeks followed by an easy week with a race in the end, preferrably quite long, maybe 1 10k, one 10 mile and one half marathon. I'll set the easy weeks in stone and look up the race calendar and find a race that meets my needs (which might mean travelling down the country), rather than trying to fit my training around races I like.

Still, it kills me missing a fast 4 mile race in lieu of a 20mile run*, but the marathon is fairly different, I need to get a good 60miles a week in on the 3 hard weeks, not a tired 50miles (which would happen with too much racing). Hence I don't do marathons very often - did one in September after a 3 year break, but can't imagine doing another one for 5 years or so.

*I hated it this summer going up to the club early on a Thursday to get a steady run or a tempo run in and then watching the lads doing a 5k or similiar race on the track. The lads would ask me why I wasn't racing, and it's embarassing answering - because I've to do a long (training!) run on saturday!!!

Cheers lads. Take home message is that long runs need to be given a higher priority and that is what I'm going to work on.

Was pretty sluggish today but managed to get 8 miles in in 57.30.

Have to rejig my week slightly. I'm doing long run Sunday now so will do tempo tomorrow hopefully. If I'm too tired I may just take the day off though and do an easy run Saturday. I'm not feeling 100% so don't want to flog myself and get sick.

I'm not running Raheny on Sunday so I rejigged my week. I decided to do a 6 mile tempo run on Friday and take Saturday off completely. I have to shorten the tempo run to 5 miles as my legs were just too tired.

Covered the five miles in 30.20. Was hoping to dip just under 30 minutes but the last 2 miles were very tough. Still after 6 days decent training it was a good effort. Hoping to a good 15-16 mile run tomorrow.

I'm not running Raheny on Sunday so I rejigged my week. I decided to do a 6 mile tempo run on Friday and take Saturday off completely. I have to shorten the tempo run to 5 miles as my legs were just too tired.

Covered the five miles in 30.20. Was hoping to dip just under 30 minutes but the last 2 miles were very tough. Still after 6 days decent training it was a good effort. Hoping to a good 15-16 mile run tomorrow.

Is your 'tempo' pace specifically your marathon race pace? I'd be inclined to go closer to my 10mile pace, but I suppose it depends on the purpose of the session. You're going nice and consistent now though, good going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 robgordon

Some great times on there. Fair play, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

30:20 for a 5 mile temp training run. I hate you.

• Advertisement

Is your 'tempo' pace specifically your marathon race pace? I'd be inclined to go closer to my 10mile pace, but I suppose it depends on the purpose of the session. You're going nice and consistent now though, good going.

Cheers. Well yesterday I was just hoping to hit marathon pace as I was quite tired but normally tempo run would be around 5.45 per mile pace which is half way between 10 mile and marathon pace.

Great day for a run. Headed out at 12 and met up with Stupid_Private. It was nice and bright although I did get rained on for the last mile or so. We ran at a decent enough pace and averaged around 6.44 per mile. Hopefully I can build on this run in terms of distance and quality but I'm happy enough where my training and fitness is at, at the moment.

Weekly mileage total was 61 miles which is a bit higher than planned but turned out this way as was meant to be racing instead of doing a long run today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

How are the legs this morning? I'm delighted/shocked to find everything's in good shape. The last few weeks I've been struggling to recover from hard training sessions. Fingers crossed that was just January and it's almost behind us now.

Yeah the legs are in great shape thanks. Some of my joints are a little tender but an easy run and some stretching should help sort them out today.

I think the first months hard training is always a shock to the system. Hopefully we are over the worse and the body will start to respond in a positive way to the torture we have lined up for it over the coming weeks :)

I've decided to do my long run this Saturday as I'm heading into town Saturday night so don't want to have a long run hanging over me. I'm going to race the following Saturday so if you want to go for a long one the week after that (or before hand) let me know.

If this post trails off mid sentence it's because I've passed out. I'm foooooooked. I did a nice 7 mile recovery run averaging 7.35. Felt great after it. Things went downhill from there though.

For the last few years I have been meaning to get back into doing a weekly circuit training. I use to always to a circuit on a Monday preceded by a fast 5 miles and followed by a mile time trial. I can't remember the idea behind the time trial but the circuit helped enormously with my fitness and general conditioning. Well tonight I jumped back on the circuit "train" and I'm now slowly dying. I'm going to stick with it for a while and see how I get on. It was actually quite enjoyable to do something different. However I'm expecting some serious aches tomorrow. Gave a pyramid session planned. Should be fun !! NOT

Update: Not feeling too bad this morning all things considered. My quads are quite tender from the squats though !

please disregard anything written in the post above. I'm never doing circuit training again. I feel like I have been given the kicking of my life.

Got caught in a lunch time meeting and ended up having lunch late too. Headed out at 4 to do a pyramid session but it was just not going to happen today. My legs are very sore from yesterday and I also managed to strain my groin also. I dropped the session and just did an easy 8 mile recovery run at 7.44 min average per mile. Still feeling quite tender.

I will have to weigh up the pros and cons of the circuit training. I really want to do it but ideally I would should be doing it the day before a rest day so I can recover. I'm sure after a few weeks these initial pains will decrease but I can't afford to miss planned sessions.

Had no car this morning so I ran into work, killed 2 birds withone stone as I needed to do a longish mid week run today.

It was quite cold when I started and I decided to run how I felt instead of trying to hit particular mile times so I turned the timer screen off the Garmin and left it on the mile counter only.

I'm still very stiff from the circuit training but after a coupe of miles I had warmed up and fell into a nice tempo. It was a really enjoyable run as it was nice and bright. Anyway I average 6.40 per mile which was very good going in my book as it felt so easy even with the tight achy legs. Looking at the mile splits I started off with a 7.10 and every subsequent mile was quicker and I ended with a couple of 6.30s.

Not a great run today. Felt a bit tired and heavy legged. Had hopped to get 10 in but half way through I decided against it.

Will take tomorrow off or run very easy. Hope to do a decent 16 miles Saturday morning.

8.5 miles @6.54 minutes per mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Had no car this morning so I ran into work, killed 2 birds withone stone as I needed to do a longish mid week run today.

It was quite cold when I started and I decided to run how I felt instead of trying to hit particular mile times so I turned the timer screen off the Garmin and left it on the mile counter only.

I'm still very stiff from the circuit training but after a coupe of miles I had warmed up and fell into a nice tempo. It was a really enjoyable run as it was nice and bright. Anyway I average 6.40 per mile which was very good going in my book as it felt so easy even with the tight achy legs. Looking at the mile splits I started off with a 7.10 and every subsequent mile was quicker and I ended with a couple of 6.30s.

Must be a nice feeling knowing that you've completed a half marathon in around 1:26 before you start a days work.:cool:

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Must be a nice feeling knowing that you've completed a half marathon in around 1:26 before you start a days work.:cool:

Hi Abhainn. Yeah it is a nice feeling. Actually it's a great feeling have completed any sort of run before you start a days work. I'm not usually a fan of early morning running though.

Advertisement