Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London marathon training log/blog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Took yesterday off as my rest day as I was very tired. Felt fresh this morning and the weather conditions were perfect when I got up. By the time I got out the door the wind had picked up though and there was a threat of rain. Overall I was well sheltered from the wind except for miles 8-10 were I was running head on into it.

The thing I was most happy about today's effort was the last 2 miles. They are easily the toughest as they were slightly up hill and the last one I had the wind in my face. These 2 miles were my quickest so it shows I still have more to come.

The average pace for today worked out at 6.29 per mile. I'm happy with this as I could have pushed harder and gone longer also. I'm hoping over the coming weeks to get one or two 20 mile runs at a pace maybe slightly quicker than today's. I think I'm on track for this and a sub 2.40 marathon in London is possible if I can stay fit and healthy (touch wood etc).

A good effort all in all. I'm heading back to bed now to help speed up the healing process !

Today was a recovery day after yesterdays effort. Garmin died near the end of the run but I did in or around 7 miles at 7.35-40 pace.

Was a nice run. It was quite cold but I was well wrapped up. Only drawback was that it was all on the road as I was running to collect my car from a relations house.

Totat weekly mileage was about 59 miles. Next week may be a little less mileage heavy. I hope to race Saturday so Wednesdays run will be the longest of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Today was a recovery day after yesterdays effort. Garmin died near the end of the run but I did in or around 7 miles at 7.35-40 pace.

Was a nice run. It was quite cold but I was well wrapped up. Only drawback was that it was all on the road as I was running to collect my car from a relations house.

Totat weekly mileage was about 59 miles. Next week may be a little less mileage heavy. I hope to race Saturday so Wednesdays run will be the longest of the week.

you seem to be going very well these days fair play.

shels4ever wrote: »
    you seem to be going very well these days fair play.

Cheers. Yeah I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. You really appreciate it more after coming back from a lay off. Touch wood I can continue improving and get to the start line in London in good form

Quite tired today. It was also freezing at lunch time so I found it hard to motivate myself to run.

Managed to get 7 miles in at 7.05 pace. Was a bit annoyed that I didn't go further but then I remembered I'm suppose to be easing off slightly this week.

Hope it doesn't snow again. I don't fancy hitting the treadmill.

• Advertisement

I was very bold yesterday :mad:

I left work early because of the amount of time it had taken me to get home Monday evening. I worked through my lunch and didn't get to run at my normal midday slot. I could have worked at home in the evening but reasoned I would run in the evening instead.

I live at the foot of the Dublin mountains !!!!! the snow was appalling so no run yesterday. I think this was a subconscious decision to take a day off. To make matters worse I ended up having a few pints last night :rolleyes:

Self control out the window. The all or nothing mantra I suppose. In retrospect I think I was right to take the day off as I feel great today.

I ended up running 10.5 miles today just under 7 min per mile. I'm up to my eyes in work forn the next 2 weeks so I'm hoping that I will be able to keep getting out most days.

Sometimes when work gets on top of me the first thing to suffer is my training. I'm going to try make sure this doesn't happen.

I'm not 100% if I will run the BHAA race on Saturday now. I may have to work over the weekend and may end up doing a tempo run instead. I'll see how things pan out.

Up to my eyes in work today. Thought I was going to have to put run off until this evening, apparently it is snowing in Dublin though so realistically I wouldn't have got out.

I got a break in the morning and threw on the gear and got out for 7.3 miles (~50 minutes). Was delighted with this and myself as I wouldn't have got a run in today otherwise.

Another bonus day today. Was meant to have a 1 o'clock meeting but the delays in the airport sorted that out for me. Nice one.

Thought I was just going to get an easy run in late this afternoon so with my new found freedom I decided to to a tempo run. Covered 5 miles in 29.05. It was quite tough in the cool conditions and I wasn't 100% physically up for it so I was happy when I finished.

Total distance covered including warm up and cool down was just under 8 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Covered 5 miles in 29.05.

I won't lie, my eyes opened in awe at that. Superb, just the 5 miles in 29:05 at lunch for me at lunch while everyong else was eating their tuna sambos - unreal stuff!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Another bonus day today. Was meant to have a 1 o'clock meeting but the delays in the airport sorted that out for me. Nice one.

Thought I was just going to get an easy run in late this afternoon so with my new found freedom I decided to to a tempo run. Covered 5 miles in 29.05. It was quite tough in the cool conditions and I wasn't 100% physically up for it so I was happy when I finished.

Total distance covered including warm up and cool down was just under 8 miles

Nice running, Do you have any longer races to half mara planned before London.

• Advertisement

Thanks. No not yet. I'm going to play it by year. I might do the Omagh half marathon but I haven't decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

.... Covered 5 miles in 29.05. It was quite tough in the cool conditions and I wasn't 100% physically up for it so I was happy when I finished...

Fantastic running in anyones book. Well done TheRoadRunner. meep meep.

Thanks christibe and SJ. Yeah it was good going. I'm tired now though

Wanted to do a recovery run today. Met up with a friend of mine and we headed to Puncherstown racecourse. It was was covered in snow but we ploughed on through anyway. Pace was around 7.30. Definitely not a recovery run I was knackered running in the snow.

Just in the door for my run. Ended up hitting the roads as my local park is under snow and I just couldn't hand another trek through the snow. Average mile time was just under 7 minutes. Weekly total was around 55 miles which isn't bad going considering I was taken this as a step back week. Will push on with 18 mil runs for the next 2 weekends hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great pace given the conditions, well done TheRoadRunner.

Up to my nuts in work this week. Did well to get 7 miles in today. Average pace 6.56. Will just have to go in earlier and leave a litle later to make sure I get my normal lunch time run in.

Did a 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minute pyramid session today with 1 minute recovery between each rep. Was tough going. Happy to get out today again. Work is really interrupting my training routine lately, the cheek of the gits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Heh TheRoadRunner you doing well.
    What kind of pace should one be hoping to do the pyramid sessions in? 5 or 10k pace ?

Hey Abhainn

For me it's around 10K pace. I have a longish run tomorrow and a tempo run again Friday so can't afford to go too mad today. It works out at 25 minutes hard running. I'm hoping to increase the quality (speed) slightly in the coming weeks and then maybe throw a couple of extra reps in to bring the session up to 30 minutes hard running. This session is a lot like fartlek really !

As an aside I feel sessions like todays and the tempo run are vital for me when trying to shift some weight. Long slow runs get me to a certain condition but to really see shift the final few pounds I need to do long runs and some harder runs.

Hope this makes sense.

• Advertisement

13 miles at 6.56, felt so easy. Today was a good day, wish they were all like this.

Felt really fresh today. Had to constantly hold myself back. Having a little problem with my ankle. Must have gone over on it yesterday without noticing. Was very sore this morning and especially when I started to run. The pain eased as I ran especially when I got off the uneven trail I was running on. Feels ok now but will give it some TLC later this evening. 8 miles @7.15 pace. I'm hoping to do a good tempo run tomorrow. If the ankle is still sore I may reschedule it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Phoenix Park? Race? Saturday 10k?? Good tempo run - but then not so good if you have a long run planned over the weekend.

Hey.
    How's it going. I'm going to skip the race. This week is all about my first "real" long run on Sunday. Hoping to get 18 in the bag.

Are you racing ? If so I hope you are you dressing up as cupid ;)
    Let me know if you want to run Sunday. Planned pace will be just below 7 minute per mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I'll be racing sans costume. Not expecting anything great from it. I've started training well again but haven't done any fast stuff in ages. Very happy with the last two Sunday long runs though.

I can't really put a time on when I'll be running on Sunday, and I'll probably only do around 7/8 miles, so I'll have to skip it. The following two Sundays I'll be about.

Cool. I'll try to meet you the following weekend so. Glad to hear training is going well. Good luck in the race and make sure nobody in a costume beats you :D

Just back from training. What a great day. Really feels like Spring for the first time.

Plan for today was at a tempo run of at least 5 and hopefully 6 miles. I had company for the first 3 but had to hang in on my own for the last 3. Really wanted to stop after 5 but convinced myself to go on. Last mile was actually my quickest so it was all in my head. Finished in 35.15 so was quite happy. Felt easier than last week which is a good sign.

Plan for the rest of the week is to get a few miles in tomorrow and then hopefully do 18 miles on Sunday. This week has been crazy in work but I'm delighted with myself for getting out training during the day even when I really haven't wanted to.

Onwards and upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Killer pace for six in training, nice one RR. There's no better feeling than "hanging in there" for one last extra mile, and getting a fast time on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Great running! 35' for a 6m training run :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

That's a great tempo run - you're already in fantastic shape for London. Will be expecting big things!

Advertisement