Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking For a Cocker Spaniel

Options
  • 19-10-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi All

We are looking at getting a cocker spaniel pup soon,does anyone know where the best place is to go to get one.Checked some of the local papers and the price seems to be around 350 to 400 euro,is this the normal price to expect to pay for a pup?

Thanks Barry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

barry75 wrote: »
    Hi All

We are looking at getting a cocker spaniel pup soon,does anyone know where the best place is to go to get one.Checked some of the local papers and the price seems to be around 350 to 400 euro,is this the normal price to expect to pay for a pup?

Thanks Barry

I paid €500 for mine from a breeder recommended by the Cocker Spaniel Club, got the details from the IKC

Cocker Spaniel Club of Ireland

Mrs. B. McEntee Campbell
    Crookshane, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin.
    (01-4580189)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Hi Barry, I didnt get mine off a reputable breeder and paid €300.00. I got the details off donedeal or irishdogs.ie i think it was (am going to be crusified for that on here) but i have to say the day we got him we brought him to the vets and he got a clean bill of health.

Best of luck with the process, Cockers are great dogs, try get a blue roan they are so cute, great with children, easily trained but you have to be stern with them or they'll walk all over to you. Njoy!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Keep an eye out in pounds and rescues too, the often have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Thanks for the replys everyone,

Is it important to have all the papers when buying a pup?As some breeders are selling without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

It depends on what you want to do if you want to breed from the dog that you get then yes but what is more important is the health of the parents and pups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Really, unless you want to get into showing the dog, there is no need to go paying hundreds to a breeder. If you just want an ordinary pet dog why not adopt one? There are often spaniel and spaniel x puppies looking for good homes. try www.irishanimals.ie and the homes needed sections on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

jenpup wrote: »
    I paid €500 for mine from a breeder recommended by the Cocker Spaniel Club, got the details from the IKC

Cocker Spaniel Club of Ireland

Mrs. B. McEntee Campbell
    Crookshane, Rathcoole, Co. Dublin.
    (01-4580189)

I couldn't recomend this crowd tbh, I got a pup from then and the poor thing wasn't right from day one and she died when she was only three, it broke my heart tbh. There's a breeder in Ardagh in co. Limerick, he's the secretary of the Cocker Spaniel club in Ireland and I couldn't recommend him highly enough, needless to say I have another Cocker now and she's great. Great choice of dog, I'm on my fifth and will always have one. Here are a couple of my dog when she was a pup and another of her a year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

junkyard wrote: »
    I couldn't recomend this crowd tbh, I got a pup from then and the poor thing wasn't right from day one and she died when she was only three, it broke my heart tbh. There's a breeder in Ardagh in co. Limerick, he's the secretary of the Cocker Spaniel club in Ireland and I couldn't recommend him highly enough, needless to say I have another Cocker now and she's great. Great choice of dog, I'm on my fifth and will always have one. Here are a couple of my dog when she was a pup and another of her a year old.

I rang a guy in Limerick that someone on here recommended but he's retired from breeding.

I didn't get my pup from the Cocker Spaniel Club - they gave me details for a breeder who had a litter due in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I will probably get slated - got mine from Donedeal.ie, visited the breeder, saw the mother and all the pups, gorgeous little things.
    He was the only golden amongst a litter of black brothers & sisters.

We got copies of his parents papers & were posted on his papers when the IKC eventually sent them out to his breeder.

He's 6 months next week, doing great, and is a very intelligent little fella. Almost too clever at times - ie he'll do every trick on first command when he knows you have treats in your hand, but it will take 5 or 6 attempts if you don't. :D

Here's a couple of pics when we got him at about 8 weeks. Will post a more recent photo when I get home to my camera.
    P8180072.JPG

P8200084.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 laurencampion

anyone no the website for the Irish cocker spaniel breeders club?? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

anyone no the website for the Irish cocker spaniel breeders club?? thanks

There isn't one but their email is 20information07@baysway.ie and www.baysway.ie is the site for the McEntee Campbells who run the Irish Cocker Club.

Advertisement