Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

accompanined on first provisonal law

Options
  • 19-10-2008 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

well i passed my test last week exactly 6 months and 2 weeks after first getting my learner permit. I was one of the people to be affected by the 6 month rule. so if i could have done my test any sooner i would have. I passed the test first time without any lessons i just learned the rules of the road book. Over the six months before my test i drove 9000 miles and never was accompanied i drove every day on the motor way and never got stoped by the gaurds always waved through check points. i never put L plates up on my car and i always though peope who did were just advertising stupidity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ok then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

they are not enforcing the new shyt so that's good.

but there will always be one do-gooder in this forum who will tell you to "get off the road you evil potential baby killer! i'll have your IP address reported to the gardee!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

congrats on passing your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Congrats on passing your Test.

Im sure its going to be a weight off your mind knowing that now you will be driving Insured as per the terms of the rules of the road and your license.

I don't think there are very many people out there that didn't drive unaccompanied at some point, while on a 1st provisional, especially before the new rules came into play.

But coming on and thinking you're bloody wonderful for breaking the law and beating the system is just cocky and immature.

Have you applied for your blue peter badge yet? I bet they send you a gold one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Congrats on passing your Test.

Im sure its going to be a weight off your mind knowing that now you will be driving Insured as per the terms of the rules of the road and your license.

He was always insured as the insurance industry here confirmed they were covering learner permit drivers here unaccompanied until further notice.

mickdw wrote: »
    He was always insured as the insurance industry here confirmed they were covering learner permit drivers here unaccompanied until further notice.

he wasn't insured on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is not true. He was always insured for third party damages, it would be in the insurers conditions whether he would be covered himself in an accident driving unaccompanied.

Thank you.

This is not true. He was always insured for third party damages, it would be in the insurers conditions whether he would be covered himself in an accident driving unaccompanied.

well my friend was in an accident recently - she wasn't even on the motorway - she was just after coming off it - but because she had been on it, her insurance was null and void - she had to pay all third party damages......

• Advertisement

well my friend was in an accident recently - she wasn't even on the motorway - she was just after coming off it - but because she had been on it, her insurance was null and void - she had to pay all third party damages......

Well either your friend is telling porkies, or she decided to cover the damages out of her own pocket.
    a spokesman for the Irish Insurance Federation (IIF) said motorists who broke the law and crashed while driving alone would still be covered. "If driving unaccompanied, the driver is guilty of a criminal offence, but they are still insured," he said.

Warned

"If you don't obey the rules of the road and drink and drive or break a red light, you're guilty of an offence but are still covered. It's the same case with driving unaccompanied. [That] has nothing really to do with insurance at this time."

Third parties would always be covered in a crash, regardless of the driver's fitness to be behind he wheel.

Well if thats true then its a disgrace.

If you put down your car is a 1.2 instead of a 1.4 and they find out you are not insured but if your driving in contravention to the rules of the road you are covered.

You also have to tell them if you put a spoiler on your car because it affects the drivability of the vehicle. If you dont tell them they can void your insurance on claim.

Many other examples.

Sensible as always. Well done IIF.

I think this bit needs to be enphasised
    the driver is guilty of a criminal offence, but they are still insured
    This is to protect other motorists rather than the non compliant insured. The insurer can then pursue you through the courts for whatever damages it has paid.

I think this bit needs to be enphasised
    This is to protect other motorists rather than the non compliant insured. The insurer can then pursue you through the courts for whatever damages it has paid.

Ah, thats good then. Not that it will put people off driving unacompanied.

Well either your friend is telling porkies, or she decided to cover the damages out of her own pocket.

nah she's not telling porkies at all, it actually happened....

EDIT; just saw your other post there about the insurer claiming off the insured, very possible that this happened in my friends case, but I know she got a solicitors letter stating she would have to pay all damages incurred by the third party

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

well i passed my test last week exactly 6 months and 2 weeks after first getting my learner permit. I was one of the people to be affected by the 6 month rule. so if i could have done my test any sooner i would have. I passed the test first time without any lessons i just learned the rules of the road book. Over the six months before my test i drove 9000 miles and never was accompanied i drove every day on the motor way and never got stoped by the gaurds always waved through check points. i never put L plates up on my car and i always though peope who did were just advertising stupidity.
    In the words of Partridge. "he thinks he's Rod Stewart."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well if thats true then its a disgrace.

If you put down your car is a 1.2 instead of a 1.4 and they find out you are not insured but if your driving in contravention to the rules of the road you are covered.

You also have to tell them if you put a spoiler on your car because it affects the drivability of the vehicle. If you dont tell them they can void your insurance on claim.

Many other examples.

Sensible as always. Well done IIF.
    You insurer is obliged to cover 3rd party claims - otherwise insurance would be pointless.

Think of it this way:-

If you drive through a red light and run over a pedestrian, why should that pedestrian be denied a claim because you drove through a red light? Your insurance company would have to 'look after' them but may recoup the costs from you if it had been determined that you had acted illegally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

God dammit I have been driving on the wrong roads haha.

Congrats on your test btw, I have mine in 10 days :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Over the six months before my test i drove 9000 miles and never was accompanied i drove every day on the motor way and never got stoped by the gaurds always waved through check points. i never put L plates up on my car and i always though peope who did were just advertising stupidity.

Three Hail Marys and an Our Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

That is not correct. Driving unaccompanied invalidates insurance as it is now a traffic offence. In the UK your car is seized if you drive unaccompanied! Bloody well should be here too - accidents looking for somewhere to happen.

• Advertisement

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Driving unaccompanied invalidates insurance
    Driving unaccompanied does not invalidate 3rd party insurance. See post # 18.

Irish insurance Federation - June 24th 2008
    LEARNER drivers will still be covered by their insurance even if they crash while unaccompanied by a full licence holder.

From next Monday, all provisional licence holders will be banned from driving solo. Until now, motorists holding a first, third or subsequent provisional licence had to have a front-seat passenger with a full driving licence, but a driver on a second licence was permitted to drive unaccompanied.

Under the new law, second provisional licence holders will now also be banned from driving unaccompanied.

In yesterday's Irish Independent, it was revealed that over 335,000 drivers still hold a provisional licence, with almost 20,500 on their sixth subsequent licence.

But yesterday a spokesman for the Irish Insurance Federation (IIF) said motorists who broke the law and crashed while driving alone would still be covered. "If driving unaccompanied, the driver is guilty of a criminal offence, but they are still insured," he said.

Warned

"If you don't obey the rules of the road and drink and drive or break a red light, you're guilty of an offence but are still covered. It's the same case with driving unaccompanied. [That] has nothing really to do with insurance at this time."

However, he warned people that their individual cover might contain a clause stating that their insurance would be invalidated if they were unaccompanied. Such conditions do not generally appear in standard policies. He stressed that the third party would always be covered in a crash, regardless of the driver's fitness to be behind he wheel.

From June 30 all learner permit or provisional licence holders must be accompanied by a person who has held a full licence for two years.

If learners are caught driving unaccompanied they could face a fine of up to €2,000 and three months in prison.

"In short, under the new licence rules, and subject to a further review of the situation, if a provisional licence-holder is at fault in a crash while driving unaccompanied, claims will continue to be handled by his insurer as normal," the spokesman confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

So what ? You think that would work for everyone ? are you mental ?
    Europe was laughing at us for years for letting people get into a car on there own without any form of training at all.

Just because you didnt have an accident means nothing.

Its like saying, I drink drive all the time and haven't been caught once !!

P.S. I don't drink drive !! :D

I will just say one more thing.

I am of the opinion that Insurance companies should NEVER cover anybody unless they are accompanied. If you are hit by a learner permit driver who is on their own then you should know straight off they have no Insurance.

Call the Gardai.

Have them detained for driving without an appropriate license.

Take them to court unless they have the money to pay for your damages and other incidentals.

This is my opinion of the way the Insurance policies should be written not what I believe to be the current state of play.

If you are hit by a learner permit driver who is on their own then you should know straight off they have no Insurance.

Call the Gardai.

Take them to court unless they have the money to pay for your damages and other incidentals
    That would be difficult if one is in rehab learning to walk and having one's nappy changed.

The reason unaccompanied learner drivers are still insured on a 3rd party basis is to protect the innocent party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

How Irresponsible of the OP...

OP the reason you were meant to have a licensed driver beside you is to instruct/advise you in an unexpected event that you would not have the experience to handle, as they have already proved their road handling ability and most likely have a vast experience of the road in a variety of conditions.

(extreme)Example to prove my point: many learners would not know how to handle a car on in icy roads, they would not know what to do if the car spun out or how to prevent the car from spinning out.

Congrats on passing btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I am of the opinion that Insurance companies should NEVER cover anybody unless they are accompanied. If you are hit by a learner permit driver who is on their own then you should know straight off they have no Insurance.

Call the Gardai.

Take them to court unless they have the money to pay for your damages and other incidentals.

This is my opinion of the way the Insurance policies should be written not what I believe to be the current state of play.

Before the change in the penalties I would have agreed with you but now with the €1000 fine for driving unaccompanied I think it is sufficient enough. If a learner driver causes a serious accident they could be looking at more serious charges as well as driving unaccompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

hobochris wrote: »
    (extreme)Example to prove my point: many learners would not know how to handle a car on in icy roads, they would not know what to do if the car spun out or how to prevent the car from spinning out.

Indeed, they wouldn't know the best way to prevent that is to not drive on icy roads in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Call the Gardai.

Your opinion and the actual hard facts are entirely different here. Irish insurers still cover unaccompanied learner permit drivers as has been stated over, and over again on this thread. Your post is written as if this is what you would currently do, when clearly it isn't - as they're still insured.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hobochris wrote: »

ERR....I have my full licence but i wouldnt have a clue what to do if my slipped on icy roads, i didnt have to do that part in my driving test!

i have been looking into an advanced driving course because i wouldnt have have a clue what to do in an emerency situation.

Advertisement