Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT & motortax for a pre 08 car imported from now on

Options
  • 19-10-2008 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hope this is the right place for my question. I hope to have found a buyer for my XC70 yet tbc but if I sell it I'll be looking to get my replacement car from the UK. I have done it before a few times with no problems but I have a question I don't seem to find a clear answer to :

My understanding is that although it will be a car registered in the UK prior to 2008 the percentage of VRT will be calculated based on the Co2 of the car as it is imported to IRL after july 08 correct ?

And what about the motortax will it be based on the old scheme (cc of the car) or the new scheme (co2) althought it will be a pre 08 car ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

VRT = Co2 or 36% if it's too old to have a Co2 or l/100km rating

Motor tax = CC based

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

thanks for your response - the car I have in mind is a 04, so based on your response the VRT will be based on its CO2 which is the new scheme but not the motortax which will be based on the old scheme based on the CC ? have I got you right ?

That's a bit silly from them as this is still a deterent to bringing more "environmentaly friendly" cars in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Slaacer wrote: »
    thanks for your response - the car I have in mind is a 04, so based on your response the VRT will be based on its CO2 which is the new scheme but not the motortax which will be based on the old scheme based on the CC ? have I got you right ?

Correct on both counts, new VRT, old tax.

Humm that got me annoyed now. Because importing a diesel car would make sense as it emits lower co2 but they're also often higher CC like 1.9 or 2.0 or higher which means higher tax based on the old CC scheme...

Thanks for your response as I have now to re-think my options...

Humm that got me annoyed now. Because importing a diesel car would make sense as it emits lower co2 but they're also often higher CC like 1.9 or 2.0 or higher which means higher tax based on the old CC scheme...

Thanks for your response as I have now to re-think my options...

I wouldn't let motor tax put you off. €614 works out fairly cheap over the space of a year. Why do people have a fear of tax but not insurance??

You'd probably save the money in MPG anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You can thank the SIMI for that...

Thanks for your response and you're correct I'll save on MPG but I could save another €300 per year more if it was taxed on Co2. as they say every little help ;). As for the insurance don't get me started.

I'm surprised the SIMI signed up for that as if they were serious about the environment they would base it all on Co2 and it would be less confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...as if they were serious about the environment

No, they're serious about protecting their own money-making operation members, and making imports less attractive is a part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks for your response and you're correct I'll save on MPG but I could save another €300 per year more if it was taxed on Co2. as they say every little help ;). As for the insurance don't get me started.

The thing is if you really want to save a bundle you could keep your old car. The current system is still better than old system if your buying a diesel anyways.
    I'm surprised the SIMI signed up for that as if they were serious about the environment they would base it all on Co2 and it would be less confusing.

The SIMI are interested in selling you cars over here not encouraging you to buy cheaper cars abroad. The environment doesn't come into it.

You could also argue that if you yourself were interested in the environment, the cost wouldn't come into it....the only reason you were interested in a diesel was the price, not the environment, or am I mistaken since the price has put you off :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

And replacing a perfectly good car is good for the enviroment how? The greenest car is the one you have. Once it dies a natural death then replace it with a new or 2nd hand car. All you're doing by changing cars is adding more cars to our fleet and giving the "Greens" more to charge us for.

Advertisement